Engine case crash protection

General Bike chat
freeridenick

Engine case crash protection

Post by freeridenick »

I've got frame sliders already but I'm not 100% convinced they'll stop the cases holing if I hit the deck on track.

I've got What's everyone's preference? Bolt on sliders like R&G do, covers like Carbonadi's or something else. I could keep spare cases but I'd rather not cover the track in oil.
VTR Phoenix

Re: Engine case crash protection

Post by VTR Phoenix »

Are there no "crash cages" like what stunters have? or if you know people could you not get some made up?
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

VTR Phoenix wrote:Are there no "crash cages" like what stunters have? or if you know people could you not get some made up?
You mean like engine bars (I was after something a bit more subtle) or a cage-like cover that just bolts over the cases?
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

freeridenick wrote:
VTR Phoenix wrote:Are there no "crash cages" like what stunters have? or if you know people could you not get some made up?
You mean like engine bars (I was after something a bit more subtle) or a cage-like cover that just bolts over the cases?
Yes, I don't know much about metals and fabrication but if you know people or able to do yourself then a cage like cover that uses the bolts that attach the cover and just goes over the cover with a 10-20mm space between.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

VTR Phoenix wrote:
freeridenick wrote:
Yes, I don't know much about metals and fabrication but if you know people or able to do yourself then a cage like cover that uses the bolts that attach the cover and just goes over the cover with a 10-20mm space between.
:thumbup: I don't know anyone but could hunt around.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

With no frame to bolt to its difficult.

What'll make you laugh but I've seen it used on a few race bikes is bread boards, not the whole thing though :lol:

Its designed to be abused/cut & not shatter from cleavers hitting it.

They cut it out to the desired shape & bond it to casings with polyurethane marine adhesive like Sikaflex.

Not sure if you can heat it up & mould it to the case shape though :thumbup:
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

Have a look at Stuart Abletts web page...

VTR1000 Firestorm Crash Bars / Case Guards

He's got these (pretty smart and not too intrusive) crash bars on his Firestorm....which he made himself...

There are 36 detailed photos as well.....

Here's an example:

If I was on a track, I'd prefer these to any carbon covers....

Here's the link to Stuarts VTR Firestorm page - with his mods and other good stuff!: Stuart Abletts VTR Firestorm Page
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

carbon covers at a minimum :thumbup:
AMcQ
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Bloody 'ell fire Dave they look minging on a Storm...I get the idea but not on a Storm...Go buy a BMW if you want that sort of thing... :lol: :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

Minging? MINGING? Not at all dear boy. Practical, useful, protective and not too ugly methinks. :think:

I can also picture having 2 small Cree daytime running lights on each bar....AND a set of forward / feet up footpegs so I can cruise down the road out of ''sport rider'' mode'' :lol:

They look a bit pants cos they are painted in grey - but...if they were chrome....mmmmm....tasty. Maybe. Sort of. ish.

For winter use, up here on de shitty, slippy, snowy roads, they'd be invaluable....and then....in spring, they can come off again.

Ok, I've got a carbonadi cover on mine (like a lot of folk), but that won't stop the plastics getting trashed. If I had a set of these bars fitted when the scum kicked the Storm over, then I think the bike would have sat at 45 degrees, instead of her decing to lay flat on her side.

And what about Custard? Would you not have wished it had a set of these fitted? They could protect yer shins in a crash too, by being able to bounce off the sides of car doors as yer filtering up the middle of traffic. :lol:

BMW traily-dan thing? Nah - they're too high in the seat for me. Though I like the Hepco & Becker boxes they all seem to have.

I don't want to look as if I'm riding ''The long way round''. I just want to ride ''the right way up''

:lol: :thumbup:
Last edited by TheGingerBeardMan on Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

No definatly minging...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

MacV2 wrote:No definatly minging...
+1
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

I'll stop at 'not my cup of tea'. I was hoping there might be a cheaper option but it's looking like Carbonadi well get some of my hard earned...
vtwin goody

Post by vtwin goody »

freeridenick wrote:
I'll stop at 'not my cup of tea'. I was hoping there might be a cheaper option but it's looking like Carbonadi well get some of my hard earned...
Let us kno what you think of them been looking at the same :thumbup:
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Just ordered a set from a guy on the Facebook page. Look nice, came with some praise and a lot less that the Carbonadi ones. Fingers crossed.