Numberplate illumination?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
sirch345
Site Admin

Numberplate illumination?

Post by sirch345 »

Who knows the law on having your numberplate illuminated on a bike, is it an MOT requirement, illegal without, or both :?:

Chris.
StormyRob

Re: Numberplate illumination?

Post by StormyRob »

Right. I know people may think I should know this! However I'm not really into traffic. My belief is the numberplate light is not required for MOT.

However in order to be legal on the road it needs to be illuminated when there is no daylight or when visibility is reduced.

So if you only ride the bike in the sunshine then you will probably be OK without one. What I would say is it is also my belief if it's on the bike it has to be working.
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
Saintsman27

Post by Saintsman27 »

HI M8teys,,, Well after much perusal the law is clear on this matter.

1. Obvious... if the motorcycle is not intended for road use no number plate so no lights ... but :thumbup:

2. If motor cycle is intended for use on public roads the vehicles lighting regulations are clearly defined:

1989 Road vehicle lighting regulations which came into force on 1st Nov 1989 state

Requirements about the use of front and rear position lamps, rear registration plate lamps, side marker lamps and end-outline marker lamps

24.—(1) Save as provided in paragraphs (5) and (9), no person shall–

(a)use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road any vehicle which is in motion–

(i)between sunset and sunrise, or

(ii)in seriously reduced visibility between sunrise and sunset; or

(b)allow to remain at rest, or cause or permit to be allowed to remain at rest, on a road any vehicle between sunset and sunrise

unless every front position lamp, rear position lamp, rear registration plate lamp, side marker lamp and end-outline marker lamp with which the vehicle is required by these Regulations to be fitted is kept lit and unobscured.

and further reading of the legislation and law is referred to forthwith ..under the RVL Act

..Regulation 18 ...Schedule 1 ...Table 2 refers ...so the bottoms line is

Yes.... the little number plate illumination is required legally for the vehicles use on roads to which the public
use and have access....( in the hours of darkess .... half an hour after sunset and half an hour before dawn )

Please note as far as I have researched the lighting laws have not been appealed or ammended since Nov 1989..

:wave:
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

That sounds about right!
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Thanks Rob and Alb, more or less what I was thinking, I was just hoping it might not be seeing as our bikes have reflective number plates :lol:
Thanks Alb for taking the time to dig up the info :thumbup:

So I have either got to remove my recently fitted lovely bright red LED's or fit some of these:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-NUMBER-PLA ... Sw2ENW76Uo

Chris.
popkat

Post by popkat »

Number plate light is not a tested item for MOT so not required for that, interestingly it IS a tested item on a car for MOT. Strange MOT rules

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

popkat wrote:Number plate light is not a tested item for MOT so not required for that, interestingly it IS a tested item on a car for MOT. Strange MOT rules

Cheers Popkat,
I guessed you would know for bikes, interesting about cars being different,

Chris.