Starting problems

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
john306

Starting problems

Post by john306 »

I've been having starting issues ever since I got the bike really.
It's a bugger to initially start, the battery is fine, starter motor is fine.
It just takes ages messing around with the throttle/choke to get it running.
Once it does start to run even if I turn it off after say 20/30 seconds, it will then immediately start again no problem.
Decided to change the spark plugs yesterday which made things easier to start but still not great.
I tried again this morning but still took 6 or 7 times to start.
It's as if the choke isn't doing anything to raise revs. Pulling the choke right out and the engine doesn't sound like it will ever start at that setting.
It's a balancing act of choke at say 1/4 to 1/2 out and small amount of throttle to even get it running.
It's as though to me the choke isn't raising revs enough to start it with that little choke.
Is there any way of checking if the choke is set up correctly, and does pulling out the choke have a direct effect on the throttle assembly as I see no movement whatsoever as I pull out the choke.
Cheers for any info.
MacV2

Re: Starting problems

Post by MacV2 »

Take the tank & airbox off & check the choke cables where they attach to the carbs.

The cable at the frame end splits into two, one to each carb. The plastic nuts at the carb end have a habbit of braking.

Maybe they are just broken & therefore loose...

The other main thing to check is the cable from the starter relay to the starter motor.

Poss that it is badly coroded at the starter end, peel back the rubber boot & check it...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
john306

Post by john306 »

Cheers Mac, I was hoping no one would say take the tank off.
2 reasons, the tank is full, and I've had a shoulder op 2 weeks ago, and only had the stitches out on Friday so lugging things around at the moment is a no no.
I won't be riding for at least a couple of months anyway so there is no rush.
It's just that I like to start the bike up regulary and move it about the garage and as I have said it's a pain to start but I'll try a few simple things first
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Just had another thought...When you have the tank off, check the petcock...take it apart & check the diaphragm for splits.

Check all your vac hoses as well, again for splits & the carb intake rubbers...Any splits or tears will either not give enough vacuum or allow too much air in... That also includes the carb diaphragms as well...

Syphon the fule out, make it easier to lift tank... :thumbup:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
john306

Post by john306 »

Ha, I knew you'd say that about syphoning fuel off, I've got 1x5lts container only so will have to find a 10ltr as tank is full.
Cheers for info I'll refer back to this once I start :thumbup:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Easiest way I found to start them is .
Turn it on ,kill switch on, hit the starter button and once it's cranking over give it a small amount of throttle , once it's started pull the choke out as much as it needs to stay running .

If I gave it choke first it wouldn't start .
john306

Post by john306 »

Lloydie, I've just been out to try your way now bike is cold again but it just turned over and over on the starter without even sounding like it would ever start.
It only ever sounds like it will start once I pull the choke out slightly while cranking it over with a little throttle but it still took 4 times to get going and that sounded rough. 20 seconds later with choke back in and its ticking over lovely... Strange bike
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Just keep trying subtle different ways till you either find the way to start it or you run out of fuel to lift the tank
john306

Post by john306 »

lloydie wrote:Just keep trying subtle different ways till you either find the way to start it or you run out of fuel to lift the tank Image
Or I die from carbon monoxide poisoning cough cough 8O
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

john306 wrote:
lloydie wrote:Just keep trying subtle different ways till you either find the way to start it or you run out of fuel to lift the tank Image
Or I die from carbon monoxide poisoning cough cough 8O
Do it outside then ! You'll live longer !
john306

Post by john306 »

Too much crap in the way as I knew I couldn't ride it for months after shoulder op, and keep moving it in and out ain't gonna happen, so I tucked it up the corner of the garage out the way. That and the neighbours would be pissed with the noise so I generally start it in the garage anyway.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Drain the tank then so you can remove it and check the choke out .
Give the carbs a good clean and check all vac pipes and diaphragm
john306

Post by john306 »

Cheers, thats on my to do list :D
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

they all seem to have a different way of wanting to start. my yellow one one only starts with a whiff of throttle and very little choke. the other one full choke and no throttle...strange beasts indeed.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Sounds pretty normal if it been left for week or more in the freezing cold of late. I'd have thought itd be easier if kept in a warmish garage.

If the battery and starter as you say are good (battery fully charged and no corrosion on the starter terminal under the rubber hood) Try turning it over for a few seconds no throttle no choke - walk way for a minute or two, apply some choke, no throttle and try starting again - It should catch and start in a moment or two. Well that's what works on mine stored outdoors under a cover even after a couple of weeks at close to zero.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts