CCT failure - aftermath question

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
maniaka

CCT failure - aftermath question

Post by maniaka »

Hello All, sorry for another question.

Bought my storm 3 weeks ago and the CCT failed after 2 days of owning the bike ... balls ... this is me broken down at the roadside feeling very very annoyed.

So got the bike into my parents garage and followed the procedure - front CCT failure, jumped quite a few teeth :/

So as the failure was at very low revs and couldn't spot any bent valves (although didn't check clearances :crazy: ) I decided to risk it and just re set the timing and put all back together. Went out for a test ride ...

Bike seems to be running fine for the last 2 weeks - had it up to .. high speeds without worries and no obvious signs of damage. I do suddenly have what seems to be "carb farts" so will try the CBR stick mod to see if that helps.

My question (finally) is if there was damage to the valves etc caused form the CCT failure - would it be obvious when riding ? or is it more likely to suddenly / slowly manifest into a catastrophe.

Many thanks,

Ride safe :beer:

It's better in the wind: DFFD
Honda VTR 1000
AMCQ46

Re: CCT failure - aftermath question

Post by AMCQ46 »

if you had bent valves, the compression on the front cyl would be low and hence it would have poor power from the engine, especially at low rpm and the idle would be much lumpier.

suggest you do a compression test and compare back and front cyl reading as the quick way to confirm the problem, but you should have at least checked the valve clearances before you put it back to gether
AMcQ
bertye

Post by bertye »

Hi, you would know straight away if there was a problem. As to carb farts, don't know to much about that though having the carbs balanced helps. This link to a basic carb mod, to stop it going onto 1 cylinder wane bracing hard is helpful. http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 96#p396467
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

As above

Make sure your airbox is back on correctly - there's an awakard outlet at the front to reconnect back onto a hose. Raise the idle a tad to prevent it from stalling.

Hopefully you replaced the failed auto tensioner with manuals. And how old is your lid? :eek2
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I know a lot is said on here about "carb farts". I've owned mine for 17 years now - it seldom if ever does it, my idle is below 1000 rpm too. IMHO if everything is as it should be and properly balanced then they don't suffer from it, so changing the coils (for that reason) is pointless.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I totally agree with Stratman. It all comes down to timing, valve clearances and the carb tune. The biggest factors to help prevent carb farts is the mixture, TPS and then balancing the carbs.
==============================Enter the Darkside
Red3446

Post by Red3446 »

You were very lucky with the cct failure......more then me.... :evil: :evil: :evil:

I also haf carburators fart....but I know I've a bad carbueration....too lean at low rpms...
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Nice to see another metallic blue?

Just in the throes of fixing my storm 2 after a cct fail with previous owner.

But taking the time to do lots of other things as well

Can i serioisly suggest that you check the rear suspension linkage as on both of mine it was close to disaster, the one i am doing now the dogbone was fractured and the first o e had a completely collapsed needle bearing.
maniaka

Post by maniaka »

Wicky wrote:As above

Make sure your airbox is back on correctly - there's an awakard outlet at the front to reconnect back onto a hose. Raise the idle a tad to prevent it from stalling.

Hopefully you replaced the failed auto tensioner with manuals. And how old is your lid? :eek2
Thanks I'll double check the airbox. And as above maybe carb sync. Yeah replaced CCTs with manuals haha wouldn't last long otherwise. My lid is brand new - old school cafe style. Its a Bitwell Gringo ... 100 % maybe legal :shh:
BrianC wrote:Nice to see another metallic blue?

Just in the throes of fixing my storm 2 after a cct fail with previous owner.

But taking the time to do lots of other things as well

Can i serioisly suggest that you check the rear suspension linkage as on both of mine it was close to disaster, the one i am doing now the dogbone was fractured and the first o e had a completely collapsed needle bearing.
Damn thanks man I'll check it out. Blue is the best colour ;)

It's better in the wind: DFFD
Honda VTR 1000