Oxford soft panniers with pillion

General Bike chat
jchesshyre

Oxford soft panniers with pillion

Post by jchesshyre »

I have a pair of large Oxford soft panniers with which I've already managed to snap one of the rear cowl lower mounting points (wish I'd read up on here before using them). I want to be able to use them with my girlfriend on the back and some camping gear...my question is, if I was to get a Renntec luggage rack can panniers like this sit over that or would they be too far back and high up to be secure? I can't quite tell from looking at pictures.
Stratman

Re: Oxford soft panniers with pillion

Post by Stratman »

They would be too far back and anyway the Renntec rack has a recommended carrying capacity of something daft like 3 kgs.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Hmmm well that is rubbish isn't it?

Any recommendations for carrying a (small) pillion plus Oxford panniers? Maybe I just need to do the broom handle trick I've seen described on here?
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I did use Oxford panniers with a pillion but you will need to reinforce the side pod mountings. I used aluminium strip pop riveted on. On the rear rack I used a tailpack with just the light stuff in. I eventually bought some hard luggage and then bought a second bike for touring as it wasn't really working of the FireStorm.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

a few suggestions:

1) get a Ventura rack system, that will allow you a 50l bag behind the pillion, and will also act as a grab rail and pillion back rest. or you put the camping gear on that rack
2) as you have a woman with you she wont be able to pack light, so you will still need panniers. they still need to be on the pillion seat though
3) use a broom handle cut to length to take the panier weight off the tail faring lower section
AMcQ
eamonn

Post by eamonn »

Have you ever been pillion on a firestorm ?.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Hahahaha very good question. No, and nor have I been pillion on any bike.

I know why you're asking...but she's only little and I do have a few luxuries such as a set of Oxford 'Rider Grips' (aka love handles) and a genuine sheepskin seat pad. She says although the seat's harder and smaller than on my CB500 she prefers the Firestorm for being slightly higher up, and says that the footpeg position is actually better despite being higher. I'm lucky!