Track bike problems...

General Bike chat
Miztaziggy

Track bike problems...

Post by Miztaziggy »

On the last 2 track days last year I noticed a strange noise. Thought it was the chain slapping as it sort of sounded like it was from that area.
I found there was a tight spot in the chain, so bought a brand new 520 conversion. Had it fitted this week but the noise is still there.
The mechanic thinks it's probably the drive bearing in the gear box, apparently the K3/K4 GSXR 1000 is notorious for it going if the chain is too tight.
He said it's an engine out and split the engine job. Probably quite a lot of money, I don't know how much yet.

So while I wait for him to inspect and quote, I'm trying to decide what's best. What would you do in this situation?

Either buy a new engine for approx £900 and have that fitted, though, that could come with its own issues if the engine isn't a good one. Total cost probably £1200-1500?
Or I wait for the quote which I imagine will be £1000-£1500 for labour and parts?
Or, I break the bike and sell in parts and buy another. I started putting together a list of parts and looking up similar things on e-bay. It comes to more than I had imagined it would, though it will involve having to take the bike to bits myself which I wouldn't know where to start really, and don't really have time for.

wheels (2 sets, 1 dry, 1 wet) 600
Fairing 350
Engine (half the price?) 450
Tank 120
Calipers 150
Discs (2 front sets) 240
Frame 200
Subframe 50
Shock 60
Forks 300
Chain Sprocket 130
Rear sets and spares 100
Headlight 50
Airbox 20
Exhaust/Headers 120
Total 2940
VTR Phoenix

Re: Track bike problems...

Post by VTR Phoenix »

If your selling on eBay then take into account the 10% selling fees and the 3.4% PayPal fees, the time it will take to sell and I believe you'll only get about £200 for the engine with it effectively needing a rebuild.

I would look around for an engine to swap in, one that comes with a 30 day warranty. If you can do the swap yourself then that's even better. If not then factor in about £300 to get it swapped out plus all new fluids and plugs and possibly clutch plates.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
Miztaziggy

Re: RE: Re: Track bike problems...

Post by Miztaziggy »

VTR Phoenix wrote:If your selling on eBay then take into account the 10% selling fees and the 3.4% PayPal fees, the time it will take to sell and I believe you'll only get about £200 for the engine with it effectively needing a rebuild.

I would look around for an engine to swap in, one that comes with a 30 day warranty. If you can do the swap yourself then that's even better. If not then factor in about £300 to get it swapped out plus all new fluids and plugs and possibly clutch plates.
Yeah cheers

Don't think I could do the swap myself, wouldn't know how and wouldn't have the time to learn.

You think that is a better option that getting someone to repair the existing one? I would be nervous the new engine would have hidden faults that would end up costing even more.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
popkat

Post by popkat »

Output shaft bearing would normally be a whine but I guess if it's starting to break up it could give a sound like you describe.

As for stripping it I think most of the labour would be in removing the engine and putting it back in, I'm pretty sure the bottom case will come off without disturbing the top end, in which case there's not a great deal to it, it'll need a few of the cheaper gaskets and a new bearing, I'd say about 10 hours which at my rates would be £350 plus parts, can't see the parts being more than £100.. It's worth fixing just make sure the diagnosis is correct.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

popkat wrote:Output shaft bearing would normally be a whine but I guess if it's starting to break up it could give a sound like you describe.

As for stripping it I think most of the labour would be in removing the engine and putting it back in, I'm pretty sure the bottom case will come off without disturbing the top end, in which case there's not a great deal to it, it'll need a few of the cheaper gaskets and a new bearing, I'd say about 10 hours which at my rates would be £350 plus parts, can't see the parts being more than £100.. It's worth fixing just make sure the diagnosis is correct.

If that was the price to fix it, I'd definitely take that. I like the bike and I know it's a good one, I change oil and filter every other track day so I know bike is not too abused.
The problem is that you're based in Devon aren't you? It's a long way from Leeds. Even bring it down on the trailer it's a day for drop off and day for collection, otherwise I would snap your hand off at that.

The mechanic said something about the bearing breaking up. He said a tight chain causes it to fail and the balls start coming out. Apparently it's not a cassette type gear box, hence the full engine out job, he said something about taking it out and turning it upside down.
He did say that it'd need inspecting though to find out exactly what it is.

While it's in for this, wouldn't it be worth replacing more internals, e.g. things like other bearings, valve clearances etc or would that involve massive amounts more work?
popkat

Post by popkat »

It's not really possible to see or tell when a bearing is about to go, you can feel for smooth turning or roughness but it's not worth doing anything else for the sake of it whilst in the bottom end.
It is definitely worth having the valve clearances checked and shims done if needed whilst the engine is out as it's a much easier job then.

What's the hourly rate of the shop who has it ?, 10 hours is reasonable time but if you add in valve clearance it could go up to 13 hours but still very much worth doing. Hopefully their rate is similar to mine or not too much more unless you've gone to a large dealer with big overheads.

I agree Devon is too far to bring it for the work, If it's not already with someone be sure to find a place with a good reputation that's trustworthy, independant's have better rates, I keep my rates as low as possible I work on my own (with the occasional helper).

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

popkat wrote:It's not really possible to see or tell when a bearing is about to go, you can feel for smooth turning or roughness but it's not worth doing anything else for the sake of it whilst in the bottom end.
It is definitely worth having the valve clearances checked and shims done if needed whilst the engine is out as it's a much easier job then.

What's the hourly rate of the shop who has it ?, 10 hours is reasonable time but if you add in valve clearance it could go up to 13 hours but still very much worth doing. Hopefully their rate is similar to mine or not too much more unless you've gone to a large dealer with big overheads.

No it's not a large dealer but it's still £50 /hr I think and then there'll be VAT on top. I'm guessing it's £50 as he charged £100+VAT labour for fitting new chain/sprockets, changing coolant on 2 bikes and brake fluids on 1 bike.
If so, it'll be an expensive job to get him to strip and rebuild the engine.
Would much rather someone trusted could do the work.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Suggest you price up a bike transporter to get it to Poppers.
Shouldn't be more than 100 each way tops
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

tony.mon wrote:Suggest you price up a bike transporter to get it to Poppers.
Shouldn't be more than 100 each way tops
That is what I was thinking .
You know it's been done right then and at a good price
Paultandy

Post by Paultandy »

I got a engine if you want one in good condition 27000 miles on it and manual tensioners fitted and will include the carbs and starter motor oil cooler £300 it's just an options for you to think about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:beer: I drink beer like my bike drinks petrol :beer:
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Paul, Ziggy has a Gsxr mate
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Paultandy

Post by Paultandy »

Kev L wrote:Paul, Ziggy has a Gsxr mate
lol sorry didn't read all the post :oops:
:beer: I drink beer like my bike drinks petrol :beer:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

id get it transported to poppers place if it was mine..
the older i get,the faster i was :lol: