Hypertension Anyone?

General Biker Banter
Mav617

Hypertension Anyone?

Post by Mav617 »

Okay, so I took a Blood Pressure reading at the in-laws a while back, as they had a machine and it said I was 162/110, which was worrying. Since then I have been trying to exercise (Couch to 5K and weights). Now have my own machine and regularly seeing figures in the 160 and 170 range so have decided to go and see the quack. Anyone else had problems with their blood pressure? I acknowledge I am overweight by a stone and trying to address that.
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
Wicky

Re: Hypertension Anyone?

Post by Wicky »

Lose weight, exercise as you've been doing and a good healthy dose of ramipril. Best pop along to quacks for health check, cholesterol, carb balancing TPS setting etc...
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Timing 180 degrees out.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Mav617 wrote:Okay, so I took a Blood Pressure reading at the in-laws a while back, as they had a machine and it said I was 162/110, which was worrying. Since then I have been trying to exercise (Couch to 5K and weights). Now have my own machine and regularly seeing figures in the 160 and 170 range so have decided to go and see the quack. Anyone else had problems with their blood pressure? I acknowledge I am overweight by a stone and trying to address that.
That's too high. They like to see 135/75 nowadays. I take a pill every day and exercise (walking the dogs) and have something like that now. 14 years ago in the middle of a divorce and with real financial problems; smoking and drinking far too much I moved and had to check in with a new doctor. Hadn't had my BP checked in years. It was 220/140....
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I used to have high blood pressure and was on Perindopril, which made me worse after 10 years. So, I self-diagnosed a sleeping disorder, took decongestants at night (followed by a sinus operation a few years later)
I have always exercised quite a lot and used to smoke.
I was always told that once on hypertension tablets then that was it for life; not true. I don't take any now and my BP is fine.
What really changed it for me was a) being able to breathe at night and b) being mindful, before it became fashionable. Also being consciously calm when things go wrong, as they inevitably do.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Thanks all, am off to the quack next week and expecting to go on medication. Am under pressure to sell the house but the fooking buyers have pulled out so now have no sale and no tenant to pay the mortgage whilst I throw 1200 quid a month down the toilet in rent #fuming doesn't help.
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
chric

Post by chric »

Yes 180 over 120 gave me ramaprill had to stop taking it tightness in chest now on something else and lots better.my readings not sure I'll check tomorrow see if there going down really need to lose weight stop smoking and doing a bottle of whiskey on weekends
Ill never be a sell out storm forever
bigr250

Post by bigr250 »

Mine was 158 over 99 and the doc put me on perindopril, that was a few years ago. I check mine regularly & it's normally around 142 over 89 and the doctor seems happy, I'm not happy to be on regular medication but unfortunately loosing weight isn't as easy as popping a pill!!!!
Rappelez tout mais ne pardonner rien!!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

bigr250 wrote: unfortunately loosing weight isn't as easy as popping a pill!!!!
But you've never seen a fat junkie, have you?
There's gotta be something in it......

I'm currently getting good results using one of those Slendertone belts.
It has taken a couple of inches off my waist.

But it comes straight back as soon as you take the belt off.
Perhaps I need to buy the batteries as well :think:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
bigr250

Post by bigr250 »

tony.mon wrote:
But it comes straight back as soon as you take the belt off.
Perhaps I need to buy the batteries as well :think:
I try not to worry about weight despite knowing I'm miles 'over' but you wanna try tucking a 6' 1" 18 1/2 stone body on a TZ250, I can tell you that small riders are at a big advantage over old fat blokes like me. This is about as tight as I could tuck.
Rappelez tout mais ne pardonner rien!!