Potential sparkplug cap problem (and loud exhausts)

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Loo Kahs

Potential sparkplug cap problem (and loud exhausts)

Post by Loo Kahs »

After an hour or two of riding one cylinder occasionally stopped firing. It seemed that if I stopped and poked/pushed on the front sparkplug cover, it would usually make the problem go away for the next 20 minutes (it comes and goes).

The sparkplugs are new and as far as I remember the caps were put on... fine.

Has anyone ever had a similar problem or would be able to tell me what may be wrong?

P.S. While the exhausts were fun for the first 5 minutes, without muffles they are way too loud. Does anyone know what DB killer inserts would suit these?
Last edited by Loo Kahs on Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
MacV2

Re: Potential sparkplug cap problem (and loud exhausts)

Post by MacV2 »

Re DB killiers...Baffels... Give this guy a call...He'll need to know the outlet diameter so mesure that before calling him...

http://www.pjengineering.co.uk/index.php
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

After a few years the connection between the spark plug cap and the HD cable can get loose. Unscrew the cap from the lead, check for cracks in the boot. If all good then cut off about 5mm of the cable so that when you screw the cap back on it bites into the core. This might help and costs nothing to try.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

as above for the plug lead / cap.

for the loud pipes...... wear earplugs, and if you already do, try experimenting with other types as it is good practice to eliminate as much wind noise as possible and a side effect is it makes even race pipes quiet.

I would only ever go to quieter pipes if I was doing night shifts or the track day has a noise limit
AMcQ
Loo Kahs

Post by Loo Kahs »

MacV2 wrote:Re DB killiers...Baffels... Give this guy a call...He'll need to know the outlet diameter so mesure that before calling him...
http://www.pjengineering.co.uk/index.php
Thanks for the tip! I will check them out.
Stratman wrote:After a few years the connection between the spark plug cap and the HD cable can get loose. Unscrew the cap from the lead, check for cracks in the boot. If all good then cut off about 5mm of the cable so that when you screw the cap back on it bites into the core. This might help and costs nothing to try.
Mhh... I had more of a chance to observe it today as the problem persisted. I think me poking the plug cover was a mere coincidence.

Ive noticed that:
1. After being stationary for a while, the bike always (from what I remember) started and ran perfectly.
2. After 15/20 minutes of riding (happened several times now) it would start to have some problems where one cylinder keeps cutting off, whether entirely or intermittently (so sometimes acceleration can get a bit jerky)
3. When running fine, I can feel the power at disposal with no issues and responds beautifully, other times when it appears to be running on both cylinder, it can feel somewhat uneven and not quite as responsive

I am not sure if these observations are of any use. Could it be something entirely different? F.... battery that discharges quickly (if that's possible)? Wouldn't explain why it usually starts fine after a long period of sitting.

Also, are there any firestormers in London that may have a better clue or would know if they saw/rode the bike?
AMCQ46 wrote:for the loud pipes...... wear earplugs, and if you already do, try experimenting with other types as it is good practice to eliminate as much wind noise as possible and a side effect is it makes even race pipes quiet.

I would only ever go to quieter pipes if I was doing night shifts or the track day has a noise limit
Most of my travelling is within the city, so wind is not really a problem and thus there's not much need to wear ear plugs for that. However, if I do, then it kind of ruins the sound of the bike more than if it simply ran on some quiet/or stock exhausts but you could listen to it without ear plugs... if that makes sense.

But, I'll get in touch with the guy that Mac suggested
Jazzscot

Post by Jazzscot »

Could be totally wrong here but I had something very similar with a split petcock diaphragm washer.

I'm sure Macca posted one recently.

Here was mine.

Might be worth a check

Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Jazzscot wrote:Could be totally wrong here but I had something very similar with a split petcock diaphragm washer.

Here was mine.

Might be worth a check

Good call...
Loo Kahs

Post by Loo Kahs »

Jazzscot wrote:Could be totally wrong here but I had something very similar with a split petcock diaphragm washer.

Here was mine.

Might be worth a check

I forgot to note... the bike has been backfiring/farting/popping a lot. Release the throttle a wee bit and instantly it's backfiring like mad.

Would this have to do anything with that?
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Loo Kahs wrote:

Here was mine.

Might be worth a check

I forgot to note... the bike has been backfiring/farting/popping a lot. Release the throttle a wee bit and instantly it's backfiring like mad.

Would this have to do anything with that?
Check all the exhaust clamps are tight & gaskets are solid...common syptom of an air leak...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Loo Kahs

Post by Loo Kahs »

I had a look yesterday and:
1. I've changed sparkplugs a month ago and I took them out yesterday to have a look and they seemed alright?
Both sparkplugs looked the same:
2. I checked the petcock bitsy and it also seemed perfectly fine (I cleaned that shite off)
3. What's this filth?
MacV2 wrote:Come along to GrainStorm...

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 70#p439561
Thanks for the invite, but I will need to see. Went for a slightly longer ride yesterday and with the cylinder/s from time to time messing up it can become somewhat unsafe to ride when suddenly you get a burst of power at the most awkward places when the cylinder/s decide to work properly again.
Last edited by Loo Kahs on Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Any one local to you ? If you can get a willing person Try swapping the two ICU boxes under the seat, at the back.

IIRC the bottom one the bigger of thetwo is a spark ingniter box...

Swap one at a time & give it a test run.

I do have some spare ones so if cant find a willing swapper, It can be tried at GrainStorm....
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

That white gunk looks like coolant, possibly coming from the carb heaters, all of which might point to badly seated carbs/air leaks. Whatever it is I don't think it's plugs and before you go pulling anything else apart, check where the white stuff is coming from and fix that.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

Loo Kahs

Post by Loo Kahs »

MacV2 wrote:Come along to GrainStorm...

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 70#p439561
In the true spirit of my bike, the front brake has given up. So, no grainstorm for me.

When I fully pull in the front brake, nothings happens. If immediately I release it and pull it again I get a little bit of braking. I cannot say if on the third time it is more or less the same.

I cannot see any brake fluid leaking apparent on the brakes, lines, bolts and the front brake reservoir is full.

On the bright side, the engine seems to run fine 99% of time now. Perhaps it just needed some time to wake up from its very long sleep.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Re brakes, first, check that the pads aren't worn.
Next, remove each caliper separately, and see if you can observe BOTH pistons on each side pushing the pads out.
If not all moving freely, you need to remove the pads and clean thoroughly.
After that's done, bleed through with fresh fluid.

If you're not sure, take it to a bike shop.
Better safe that sorry with brakes, esp. the front.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.