Op Storm III: Yorkshire Dales 18-21 May 2017

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

cheekykev

Re: Op Storm III: Yorkshire Dales 18-21 May 2017

Post by cheekykev »

I'm hoping to come over for the ride out on Saturday, that's weather permitting of course, can't come for the whole weekend, got too much on, plus going to the TT the weekend after.
Has anyone got a route planned for the ride out on Saturday yet ??????
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

cheekykev wrote:I'm hoping to come over for the ride out on Saturday, that's weather permitting of course, can't come for the whole weekend, got too much on, plus going to the TT the weekend after.
Has anyone got a route planned for the ride out on Saturday yet ??????
I've made a suggestion but it's down to Flattie. It's his gig. I'm also having second thoughts. I've just come back from a bimble and the road through Stanhope is as rough as Loydie's butt and full of gambolling white wooly things.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I if someone can post a gpx file of the route then I can out in on the garmin and do back marker duty if needed
AMcQ
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

KermitLeFrog wrote:
Flatline wrote:That's sorted then
That's my country. May I suggest a slightly longer route? Leyburn to Middleton but then, instead of going straight to Alston go up through Stanhope, Blanchland to Hexham. That's about 100 miles so fill up time. Then across the A69 to Warden and Haydon Bridge, back across the A69 south via Langley to Whitfield and then to Alston that way. Over Hartside to Melmaby. U Turn then back to Hartside for coffee. Back to Alston then the Garrigil road back to Middleton and back to Leyburn. Another 100 plus miles. We can fill at Richmond on the way or the way back. I can lead. Wot you fink?
Yep that will do, and you can lead
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Pete.L wrote:So,
This is finally here. :D What time are people turning up Friday? Do we have to give a name at check in or can we just turn up ?

Pete.l
You can just turn up Pete

Blue palace in the usual place

I hope to be there early friday afternoon all being well
Flatline

Roll Call

Post by Flatline »

Flatline :D
Amq :D
Budd :D
CheekyKev :D
Bazza :D
Kermit le Frog :D
PeteL :D
AdyF
Tony.Mon
GrumpyFrog :?:
Watty
Redpig

Anyone not on the list or not confirmed?
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

AMCQ46 wrote:I if someone can post a gpx file of the route then I can out in on the garmin and do back marker duty if needed
Ian / flatty,
is this the route?https://www.plotaroute.com/route/417040
AMcQ
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

No that doesn't look right, the route you're thinking about when you went to the Scottish meeting started from Hawes.
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

AMCQ46 wrote:
AMCQ46 wrote:I if someone can post a gpx file of the route then I can out in on the garmin and do back marker duty if needed
Ian / flatty,
Looks pretty good to me. However, it might be a good idea to miss out Richmond (which can be very busy) on the run north and perhaps go through Reeth on the way to Barnard Castle. That cuts out the A66 as well.

When you get to Hexham and cross the A69 heading north it may be better to bear left at the Boatside pub. Going straight on takes you up Homer's Lane which is very narrow and gravelly with quite a few horses on the road. The direct road to Fourstones is a better biking road.

The Haydon Bridge, Alston Melmerby and back to Alston bit is spot on. As is the head south to Middleton.

Flattie knows the first bit, north to Barnard Castle better than me and t'would be good to hear his thoughts.

There are plenty of fuel stops on the way.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

cheekykev wrote:No that doesn't look right, the route you're thinking about when you went to the Scottish meeting started from Hawes.
That's right. This is a different way to get to the best parts of that trip to Scotland.
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Flatty you forgot me. I'm still planning on coming Saturday am.

Just my 2p... would be rude to go up there and not cover the Hawes to Viaduct road at some point?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Miztaziggy wrote:Flatty you forgot me. I'm still planning on coming Saturday am.

Just my 2p... would be rude to go up there and not cover the Hawes to Viaduct road at some point?

Do you mean the Hawes to Ribblehead road? The B6255?
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Yeah that's the 1

KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Miztaziggy wrote:Yeah that's the 1

It's only 20 miles from the Street Head to Ribblehead via Hawes. Can't see why we can't fit that in.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

KermitLeFrog wrote:
AMCQ46 wrote:
Ian / flatty,
Looks pretty good to me. However, it might be a good idea to miss out Richmond (which can be very busy) on the run north and perhaps go through Reeth on the way to Barnard Castle. That cuts out the A66 as well.

When you get to Hexham and cross the A69 heading north it may be better to bear left at the Boatside pub. Going straight on takes you up Homer's Lane which is very narrow and gravelly with quite a few horses on the road. The direct road to Fourstones is a better biking road.

The Haydon Bridge, Alston Melmerby and back to Alston bit is spot on. As is the head south to Middleton.

Flattie knows the first bit, north to Barnard Castle better than me and t'would be good to hear his thoughts.

There are plenty of fuel stops on the way.
Thanks Ian, I will edit the route later and re post
AMcQ