Renthal Flat bar handlebar conversion.

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
sirch345
Site Admin

Renthal Flat bar handlebar conversion.

Post by sirch345 »

I finally got around to doing the Flat Bar handlebar modification :D
What can I say, I absolutely love it :D I should have listened to Al (AMCQ46) long before now :lol:

The reason I have carried out this conversion (now that I'm getting on a bit) is mainly due to the pain I am getting in my neck and shoulders which I am seeing an Osteopath for, although I think the problem is more than likely due to wear and tear, I hope I'm wrong.

I gathered up the bits I needed over a period of time, leaving the Renthal Ultra Low handlebars to be purchased just before the conversion, plus the new Venhill stainless steel braided brake lines. Using this set-up I haven't needed to trim the fairing due to fitting 3mm thick steering lock stops. I wanted to see if I was happy with this mod first before chopping the ears off the fairing. Now I know I am happy with this mod I will most likely trim the fairing, as this makes the fairing lines flow better with this mod as Micky (mik_str) pointed out, plus it will cure a small problem of the clutch master cylinder reservoir just touching the fairing on full righthand lock. If you study the first photo you will see the metal gizmo that stops the reservoir top from unscrewing has been removed along with it's fixing screw.

I also have kept the original top yoke by buying another one, cheers Mac (MacV2), then drilling that for the bar risers. I fabricated two pieces of aluminium flat bar (8mm thick by 25mm wide) to reinforce the riser mounting points. They had to be individually cut and shaped to fit the underside of the top yoke. I know some of you probably wouldn't bother with doing that, but IMHO this helps spread the load. I did all of this before I took the bike off the road to carry out the modification.

I made up a patch lead for the horn as that wire is too short for this mod. That left the original wiring as it was. It was just a matter of crimping two female spade connectors to one end of a short length of double feed cable, and two male spade connectors on the other end.

New brake hoses are required for this mod as the standard original ones are too short.

The original clutch hose is long enough with my 3mm steering lock stops fitted, but I had to make a new bracket up so it sits higher than the original mounting point. It may not be long enough without my 3mm thick steering stops.

You also need a different set of bar end weights as the Renthal bar internal diameter is smaller than the VTR original clip on handlebars.

IMG_4525C.jpg
IMG_4531C.jpg
IMG_4533C.jpg

Reinforcing for bar risers
DSCF1894Re.jpg

Chris.
mik_str

Re: Renthal Flat bar handlebar conversion.

Post by mik_str »

Nice work Chris :) welcome to the world of "handlebarred" VTRs......
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mik_str wrote:Nice work Chris :) welcome to the world of "handlebarred" VTRs......
:lol: Thanks Micky :thumbup:

Chris.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Great work Chris. You need to be comfy when your getting on in life :lol: :clap: Love the bits under the yoke, thats a great idea.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

some good work there Chris, I found it took a day or 2 to get used to the new position, but once you klick with it it is great
AMcQ
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

Looks fab Chris,
Where did you purchase the Clamps from?
I did the CNC route previously, but not doing that again. i'll be pulling bits together over the summer in prep for the Winter strip down and rebuild.
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

bigtwinthing wrote:Great work Chris. You need to be comfy when your getting on in life :lol: :clap: Love the bits under the yoke, thats a great idea.
Thanks Paul :thumbup:
Most definitely. At least you know what I mean Paul :wink: :lol:
It was a bit time consuming making up those reinforcing pieces to fit under the yoke, but I feel happier with them fitted.
AMCQ46 wrote:some good work there Chris, I found it took a day or 2 to get used to the new position, but once you klick with it it is great
Thank Al :thumbup: I was grinning like a Cheshire cat for the first couple of miles on the test ride out, I couldn't believe how good this mod is.

Before you all rush out and do this bar conversion :lol: I realise this it's not going to suit everyone, but it suits me fine now at my age :thumbup:

I found on the first ride I was over doing the steering with the more available leverage from the Renthal bars compared to the clip-ons. I'm getting the hang of that now.
grumpyfrog wrote:Looks fab Chris,
Where did you purchase the Clamps from?
I did the CNC route previously, but not doing that again. i'll be pulling bits together over the summer in prep for the Winter strip down and rebuild.
Thanks Grumpyfrog :thumbup:
I came across the risers on Ebay, a snip at £30 I thought. I've had them for years as I knew when I wanted some I'd be struggling to find some at a reasonable price.
They are like the ones below, although M&P have sold them and Jonny Rocker sells them on Ebay.
Genmar-bar-risersRe.jpg
These are the ones I purchased. I had to machine off the half round piece to give a flat bottom on each riser. The risers raise the handlebars 19mm (3/4") from the top of the top yoke.
My-bar-risersRe.jpg
My-bar-risersRe.jpg (107.56 KiB) Viewed 10161 times
DSCF1889Re.jpg
Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Update.
To compensate for less weight over the front end with this handlebar conversion, I have now dropped the yokes down the fork legs by 2mm more. This has brought the handling almost back to how it was with the Honda clip-on handlebars.
I'm well happy with that :D

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

nice looking job.the high bar conversion has one drawback iv found... makes you ride like a big kid :clap: :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

fabiostar wrote:nice looking job.the high bar conversion has one drawback iv found... makes me ride like the little sized personI am... :clap: :clap:
Sorted... :twisted:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

fabiostar wrote:nice looking job.the high bar conversion has one drawback iv found... makes you ride like a big kid :clap: :clap:
Cheers Fabio :thumbup:
I can't see any drawback :wink: :D
MacV2 wrote:
fabiostar wrote:nice looking job.the high bar conversion has one drawback iv found... makes me ride like the little sized personI am... :clap: :clap:
:lol: Trust you Mac,

Chris.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Bike looks good :clap: them bars make it a much better road bike and for the aging rider :Beer Popcorn: :thumbup: :angel:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Hey Chris why can I see light through the front air vents. Are you missing some plastic from the inside of the fairings. Iv'e been eyeballing the 3" and 4" Apex Risers. They are seriousley teasing me but I'm going to hold off for now. Iv'e spent far too much already.
==============================Enter the Darkside
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Well done Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

MacV2 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:06 am
lol b8stard lol
the older i get,the faster i was :lol: