Badly corroded exhaust clamp

General Bike chat
fatfreddy000

Badly corroded exhaust clamp

Post by fatfreddy000 »

Hi all.
I noticed today while tinkering how badly corroded my front exhaust clamp is (unsure of correct term- clamp/collar?)
The down pipe is in fine condition but the clamp and nuts are seriously rusty, so much so that the clamp itself is rotting away, kind of de-laminating in horrid flakes.
As it stands now it's working fine and not blowing but looks horrible and I would like to sort it out ideally.
I'm assuming the nuts will shear off if I try and undo so I guess using some kind of extractor tool like the reverse rotation drill bit kit to remove the remaining threaded part?
regarding the clamp/collar itself I reckon I would make sure the front exhaust valve was closed incase of debri then remove the rotten remnants by whatever means necessary.
I then have a tidy exhaust minus a clamp!
Is there anway of getting a clamp back on there or do I have to get hold of a hole new exhaust section?- the front is one piece I think rather than just a header?
I was envisiong cutting a new collar in 2 with a slit disc then mig welding it back together once on the pipe..
Any thoughts appreciated..
“If all insects on Earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on Earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within 50 years all forms of life would flourish.” Biologist Jonas Salk
Wicky

Re: Badly corroded exhaust clamp

Post by Wicky »

Yes the manifold flange clamp is intergral with with the header, so if yours is dinsintergrated currently another whole header has to be bought.

There was a recent thread where somebody was investigating getting two piece flanges made up but I don't anything has come of it.
I'm assuming the nuts will shear off if I try and undo so I guess using some kind of extractor tool like the reverse rotation drill bit kit to remove the remaining threaded part?
Nut splitter, heat, and correct application of tools will save a lot of grief
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

As said by Wicky use a nut splitter to take the nuts off...

Drop the exhaust out of the way...

Give both studs a good soaking with Plus Gas...

Get yourself a 7mm stud extractor tool. Give it a tiny nip UP to brake the corrosion then undo...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beta-stud-ext ... Swz71ZPqif

If that fails or a stud snaps...

Cut a few mm off & have another go with the stud extractor...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

Hmmm, interesting.
It would be a real shame to scrap my shiney front header for the sake of the knackered flange.
Dos anybody know of any split flanges that would fit a vtr.. will do some measuring and look around..
If not I may have a go at making something..
Thanks all.
“If all insects on Earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on Earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within 50 years all forms of life would flourish.” Biologist Jonas Salk
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

MacV2 wrote:As said by Wicky use a nut splitter to take the nuts off...

Get yourself a 7mm stud extractor tool. Give it a tiny nip UP to brake the corrosion then undo...

So I need the 7mm extractor. Thought the studs would be M6?
If I could use a 6mm or 8mm I could purchase a 4 piece kit for about twice the price of the single 7mm tool.
Obviously there's no point if it won't do the job properly though.
Still trying to sus if I can save the headers and make up/modify some kind of split flange..
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Sadly they are 7mm. The bit going into the head is 8mm. Good old Mr. Honda....
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

fatfreddy000 wrote:
MacV2 wrote:As said by Wicky use a nut splitter to take the nuts off...

So I need the 7mm extractor. Thought the studs would be M6?
If I could use a 6mm or 8mm I could purchase a 4 piece kit for about twice the price of the single 7mm tool.
Obviously there's no point if it won't do the job properly though.
Still trying to sus if I can save the headers and make up/modify some kind of split flange..
The voice of expirence speaking...I bought a kit thinking it would do...Nah..back on the bay to buy a 7mm one... :lol:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... or&_sop=15
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

That's it, I'm going for it. I refuse to be defeatd by a bit of rotten mild steel!
Measured up and made a template today without removing the rusted flange as I'm certain it would desintegrate.
So I've just ordered a piece of 8mm stainless and will have a go a making a split flange (as if I've got any spare time)
I'll post some photos when done and update.
It will be completed (I hope) with little more than a hole saw, slit disc, angle grinder and drill..
May be a few weeks yet, once tyres, forks, front brakes, exhausts, and carbs are sorted..
Last edited by fatfreddy000 on Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Good luck with that. You do realise if you make one you'll get a few orders from other forum members. :thumbup:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Although the std studs have an M 7 external thread there's no reason why you can't screw in an M8 stainless bolt with the nut already on, then saw the head off, you can then unwind the nut to clean the thread up.

The std header flange will clear the M8 stud.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

tony.mon wrote:Although the std studs have an M 7 external thread there's no reason why you can't screw in an M8 stainless bolt with the nut already on, then saw the head off, you can then unwind the nut to clean the thread up.

The std header flange will clear the M8 stud.
exactly what i was going to do, thought id have to run an 8mm drill bit through the flange first though.
will save a bit of money on the £10 a pair 7/8mm genuine studs plus they should be a little stronger too..

I won't be playing with the studs and flange (as they should continue to hold fine but will certainly disintegrate upon first touch) until the 8mm stainless sheet arrives and I've fabricated the split flange, which maybe some time but i will update when this happens..
thanks all..
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

:Ball Kick: Was gonna make a pair of split flanges- my front one has totally flaked away now but just uneconomical with the price of 8mm SS and a holesaw and other bits needed to do a good job- oh for a plasma cutting rig.
Plenty of options available for other size diameter pipes e.g

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/OEM-exhaust-fl ... 2172670439

But I think vtr headers are around 1 3/4" and can find nothing here or over the pond.
Now thinking of buying a pair of standard 1 3/4" flanges and cutting/grinding to make I set of half flanges.
Please let me know if you know of a better option.
Could of course just pull of the rotten flange, extract the studs, put in new studs and cut and tack weld a new flange in situ then remove and compete the weld, would have to be a in plain steel though for my welding kit and ability..
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

How about these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-3-4-1-75-i ... Swn-tZFJUb

Should be easy to weld a couple of bits of tube either side of a one piece flange and then split the whole lot. Not very pretty but it should be functional?