what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
fabiostar

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by fabiostar »

took old yellow out to the petrol station, and kinda forgot to go straight home..the A2 coast road all to myself, it was baltic cold but bone dry and bloody good to get out again :clap: :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Big_Jim59 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:03 pm Oh I'm alive I just don't look like nothin'. It's freaking cool here (or cold for Texas) right at freezing and I just don't have the gear or the gumption for it. My last project, a 1995 Honda CB1000 Super Four turned out well and I was riding that a bit before the weather turned. It's freight train long, heavy and I'll tell you, not as much fun as the Storm. It is a bit more upright in riding position and as such a bit more comfortable.

After that I broke my tractor and I had to rebuild the transmission. It kind of filled the available space in the shop because I had to split it in half and then drop the gear box out of it. It's not a big tractor (a 70s vintage L175 Kubota) but it's huge when you bring it in the shop. I fixed a sticking brake and did some electrical work on it and it's now fantastic. The gear that turned loose has been dodgy ever since I bought it 12 years ago.

So on to my next project. I have a two story house that was built badly in the 1980s. I have been in the process of replacing the wood siding and the bottom half is mostly complete. I have been puzzling over how to replace the wood on the top half. It's problematic since I hate ladders and I am getting too old to be up on them anyway. I was looking over Craigslist and this little baby jumped out at me.

It is a 70s vintage JLG 33RTS rough terrain lift. It's powered by the Ford Kent 4 cylinder. Runs on gas or propane and is driven by hydraulic motors on each wheel. As an added bonus is has a built in AC/CD Miller arc welder. The welder also acts as a power generator and runs on a hydraulic motor of its own. The price was right and so I bought it. I have never owned anything like this before. I plan on using it to fix the house and selling it on after I am done.
That 70s vintage JLG 33RTS rough terrain lift sounds ideal, much safer than working off a ladder :thumbup:

Good to hear from you Jim,

Chris.
Vertigo

Post by Vertigo »

Fitted rhs engine case, new oil and filter, new air filter and triangles, set tps to 500 ohms, balanced carbs and piped carb sample hoses to under seat, fitted 6mm shim to shock and soldered up rhs fairing. Been a busy boy but pleased, runs great and feels a different bike. :D
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Well done mate, on the maintenance and your first post. Enjoy the bike & the forum
:beer:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Vertigo, as Kev says "well done" and welcome to the forum :thumbup:

Chris.
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

sirch345 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:33 pmThat 70s vintage JLG 33RTS rough terrain lift sounds ideal, much safer than working off a ladder :thumbup:

Good to hear from you Jim,

Chris.
It's funny but the engine in the lift is a Ford VSC 411. This is the overhead valve, four cylinder used in a host of cars including the Ford Fiesta III GFS and many others. The kicker is almost all uses of this engine were in Europe. Parts availability is good for normal wear parts but it makes sourcing used items like heads and blocks problematic. The other funny thing about this "industrial engine" is it is used in open wheel Formula Ford racers so you can find all kinds of trick hop up parts for it.
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Well, get tuning and let's see how fast it can lift!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Vertigo

Post by Vertigo »

Cheers Guys, nice to be here, just opened up some late presents to myself, new belly pan and fork springs. Took here out after the 6mm spacer went in and wow, she feels very pointy, shame it was wet or I'd have pushed her a bit. Off to put some springs in now and hope for dry weather.

Phil. :beer:
podman

Post by podman »

"new" second hand tyre fitted, apparently only done a few hundred miles...for £40 fitted & balanced...bargain..

Also got the Dremel out and trimmed up a chunk which had been taken out of the hugger, not brilliant but its better..

[url]Image

Fitted the Ram mount Daz sent me...thanks again mate...just need to get the appropriate phone case /charger set up now.

[url]Image
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

took old yellow out with a spanner and a screw driver and spent an hour setting up the 7r front end on it.. :eek2

ohh matron what a difference. feels a lot stiffer at the front, drops into corners nice and fast and the brakes.. dear lord the brakes lol... thankyou mr zx10 for having brakes like this.. :clap

is it summer yet :p is it is it ??

the blade front end on the blue one better be some sh1t or its getting trailed off lol
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

you are making me look lazy!!! I still haven't taken mine out to start the set up process ... but I can guess I will be saying the same thing about teh brakes
AMcQ
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Sold the `Tiger bought a Thunderbird. The missus, after the small back op can't get on it, the Bird is sweet, grunt, easy to get on and goes well. I do need a storm now though too.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Vanstub O'Neckpain came over & we swapped over the shock & did the shock linkages on The Red Shed. Somehow we managed to misslay the rear wheel spindel, despite having used it to knock through the swingarm spindle, remove it & place back on the side off the floor but I must have slipped it to the MacCave black hole which just happend to open up at the very moment I put it down... :crazy:

The old linkage all came out without too much of a fight & was replaced with one that had been refurbed a couple of weeks ago. Boxed it back up, tucked all the bikes back in & thats it for the day.

Before he arrived I gave the custard a wash & changed a mirror... On the way home on Friday my right hand mirror went all floppy... I peeled back the rubber boot & a bit of metal fell out... :roll:

I've replaced it with another off one of the other bikes as it was off so all good for now.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

AMCQ46 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:37 pm you are making me look lazy!!! I still haven't taken mine out to start the set up process ... but I can guess I will be saying the same thing about teh brakes
its the only dry day iv had over here..a big chunky front end really does change the feel of the bike,more so than i thought it would :clap:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

today pushed the old girl out after the new front end/brake swap. oiled and ready to go for 2018