Whats cheered you up today...?

General Biker Banter
StormyRob

Re: Whats cheered you up today...?

Post by StormyRob »

Been having a few issues lately including the following...

Mid November I received a call from a bailiff saying he worked for Marsdens and I owed 660 quid! News to me at the time! I thought it was a scammer chancing their arm. Anyway he told me it was because I had been convicted for keeping a vehicle on the road without insurance. The conviction was also news to me but on checking with Brighton court it was true!!!!! I had been convicted in my absence and fined 325 quid. Bailiff fees on top...660!

I owned a Peugeot 407 until July 2016 and then sold it for scrap. Sent notofication to DVLA but moved house within 2 weeks and thought nothing more of it. In November 2016 DVLA decided to prosecute me but I received nothing obviously. As far as I was concerned the car was crushed.

Nope. I never got a summons or anything else for that matter so it went ahead without me. Once I found out I flew back to England to complete a statutory declaration which quashed the original conviction temporarily. Told them I would be pleading not guilty and case was adjourned to 12th January 2018.

Sent the DVLA a letter a few weeks ago along with proof of sale etc and contact info for the licenced dismantler that bought it but got no response. Over the last couple of weeks I have been leaving messages for the DVLA prosecutor to contact me so I could sort it. Today I was going to book my flight over but got a call this morning and it was the DVLA prosecutor. Had a good conversation with him and have to say he was very fair and understanding. By the end of the call he said he would withdraw the case and I received formal notification of the same this afternoon. Was nice to know there was some fairness at the DVLA
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

Rob, Glad you got that sorted out, what a bummer.

The biggest issue with DVLA, Tax man etc, is that if "the computer says" that you are wrong, that's what stands. The effort in getting that resolved is knackering.
I too have also found that if you manage to finally get hold of someone in the correct department to listen to you, they are normally genuine people who will do their best to help you out. (don't get me wrong, there's some desk jockeys out there also).
Hope the Bailiff's have left you alone....
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

good to see you got that sh1t sorted Rob..

what made me happy, getting a kawasaki front end to fit a storm :biggrin
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

grumpyfrog wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:05 am Rob, Glad you got that sorted out, what a bummer.

The biggest issue with DVLA, Tax man etc, is that if "the computer says" that you are wrong, that's what stands. The effort in getting that resolved is knackering.
I too have also found that if you manage to finally get hold of someone in the correct department to listen to you, they are normally genuine people who will do their best to help you out. (don't get me wrong, there's some desk jockeys out there also).
Hope the Bailiff's have left you alone....
Absolutely right mate. Once you speak to the right person most organisations are the same. Bailiffs left me alone once I explained I was now living in Northern Ireland and one thing we have here is knowing bailiffs can't just randomly knock on the door 😂
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

fabiostar wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:39 am good to see you got that sh1t sorted Rob..

what made me happy, getting a kawasaki front end to fit a storm :biggrin
You will soon run out of things to do at this rate and I didn't even think that wad possible! Good work though!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

2 good results for the NI crew... almost amazed you found somebody who could resolve your problem Rob, as there are too many faceless departments like Grumpyfrog said. they all just claim its not their job and repeat what the is on the computer file.... its now a shock when you find someone who cares!
AMcQ
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

AMCQ46 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:09 am 2 good results for the NI crew... almost amazed you found somebody who could resolve your problem Rob, as there are too many faceless departments like Grumpyfrog said. they all just claim its not their job and repeat what the is on the computer file.... its now a shock when you find someone who cares!
Thanks mate. He was the case prosecutor so was going to have to deal with it eventually. Thankfully he saw sense and its saved me maybe 400 quid in all. Couldn't have come at a better time.
uk13iker

Post by uk13iker »

Similar thing happened to me bike was registered to my mums house and she moved out I forgot to change my logbook. Mum got talking to the woman who moved in her house and received some letters off her, mum phoned me to say there was some letters for me one being off the police, it was a speeding fine then a reminder then the court outcome £901. Obviously I didn’t receive any of them until a couple of weeks ago, at the time of the alleged offence I was in the Isle of Man at the TT on the VTR and my MT was locked in my living room with only my mrs and kids at home so I know there’s no way anyone could of been out on it so looks like my plates have been copied, I’m also in court on the 16th of this month to make a statutory declaration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

uk13iker wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:47 pm Similar thing happened to me bike was registered to my mums house and she moved out I forgot to change my logbook. Mum got talking to the woman who moved in her house and received some letters off her, mum phoned me to say there was some letters for me one being off the police, it was a speeding fine then a reminder then the court outcome £901. Obviously I didn’t receive any of them until a couple of weeks ago, at the time of the alleged offence I was in the Isle of Man at the TT on the VTR and my MT was locked in my living room with only my mrs and kids at home so I know there’s no way anyone could of been out on it so looks like my plates have been copied, I’m also in court on the 16th of this month to make a statutory declaration.

You should be fine mate. Have you asked for the photograph?
uk13iker

Post by uk13iker »

StormyRob wrote:
uk13iker wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:47 pm Similar thing happened to me bike was registered to my mums house and she moved out I forgot to change my logbook. Mum got talking to the woman who moved in her house and received some letters off her, mum phoned me to say there was some letters for me one being off the police, it was a speeding fine then a reminder then the court outcome £901. Obviously I didn’t receive any of them until a couple of weeks ago, at the time of the alleged offence I was in the Isle of Man at the TT on the VTR and my MT was locked in my living room with only my mrs and kids at home so I know there’s no way anyone could of been out on it so looks like my plates have been copied, I’m also in court on the 16th of this month to make a statutory declaration.

You should be fine mate. Have you asked for the photograph?
I’ve not asked for it but got my confirmation email from steam packet and also pictures dated on my old phone.

StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Sounds good enough to me mate. At the end of the day you only have to provide an element of doubt. They have to prove it was you riding
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

buying another bike tomorrow, yahoo, and now looking for a Storm as well.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
podman

Post by podman »

bigtwinthing wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:40 pm buying another bike tomorrow, yahoo, and now looking for a Storm as well.
...what you getting then mate?...and good luck with your hunt for a Storm.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

i have bought a Triumph Thunderbird with all the gear for me and the missus, so the 'Bigtwinthing" is back in business, 1700cc and lots of grunt, Just a few grand now to get a sorted Storm. I will be hacking the back seat off as well. anybody got one for sale??
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

bigtwinthing wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:51 pm i have bought a Triumph Thunderbird with all the gear for me and the missus, so the 'Bigtwinthing" is back in business, 1700cc and lots of grunt, Just a few grand now to get a sorted Storm. I will be hacking the back seat off as well. anybody got one for sale??
A Storm one ? If so yes, got 2 IIrc both have the normal rubs where the ears meet the tank but I supose as your chopping it, you'll be taking the opertunity to re pad it & then re cover it anyway...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...