OCMD, circa 2018

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
mik_str

OCMD, circa 2018

Post by mik_str »

Another year, another round of mods (though the list is getting ever shorter, running out of things to mod, lol). 

So, here is what's new:
- I modded my (latest) airbox lid (ie. filter-in-lid), lifting the filter element slightly in an effort to free up additional headspace above the velocity stacks (the idea being to get 6-7cm, or as close as possible, of free airspace above the stacks, a zone deemed critical by a chap who did some work on Porsche race engines);  this also bumped volume ever so slightly, which shouldn't hurt either.
- replaced the HPower-replica (long) velocity stack on the front cylinder with a long Moriwaki unit (15mm shorter); fashioned a custom X-wing diffuser for it 
- purchased a lighter flywheel from Mr. Marquez (2.6 lbs lighter than stock, or 1.8 lighter than my current one)
- will drop gearing slightly (from 15/40 to 15/41)
- purchased a Healtech Quick Shifter Easy (easy to install and programmable with an iPhone)

I expect they will help to further fine-tuned and improve what is already a fine steed...
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
fabiostar

Re: OCMD, circa 2018

Post by fabiostar »

nice one mike.... would like to hear how you get on with the quickshifter ?
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

About time you went stage 2 innit ?
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

lloydie wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:46 am About time you went stage 2 innit ?
Nice to dream about, but the parts are no longer available. Also, it's a street bike (no track duty) so reliability and longevity are more important to me than setting hp records....

besides, with a total drop in weight of 80 lbs (about half of which is spinning weight), it hustles down the road quite nicely as it is, trust me.....
Last edited by mik_str on Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

fabiostar wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:04 am nice one mike.... would like to hear how you get on with the quickshifter ?
I did a fair amount of research (looking mostly for reviews) on said unit and they were all positive. I sense the trickiest part will be working out the best settings to use for the bike.

Check it out here:https://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/iqse/

remarkably simople, and apparently effective.

Needless to say I am looking forwrd to trying it
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

looking forwards to the updates as you go through the details Mick :thumbup: :thumbup:
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I can't see on their site whether the Healtech unit has this but you will need to be able to program shift times in each gear separately.
The first to second shift will need a longer time.
Also you'll need to set a minimum rev setting of when it will cut ignition, and as you can use the torque and change up at quite low revs on a Storm motor you need to get into the habit of checking revs before shifting to avoid damage and wear.

The power commander v version I use on the sp2 allows a choice of ignition or fuel cut, but as you have carbs, that's no choice at all.
You get better bangs out of the exhaust with an ignition cut anyway.
(that's actually the most fun part, yes, I'm a big kid) :whatever
But what humbled me is how long it takes me to change gear manually, in comparison, and I thought I was pretty quick.

You know when you set the cam timing and check it carefully, but are still a little afraid when you hit the starter button?
-Same game when you try out your settings and install when kicking up with a wide open throttle for the test run.
If you get it right, you and your gearbox get to live for another day.

So, throttle blipper for downshifts next year?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

The Healtech unit allows you to program the cut-off (both delay and duration) according to engine rpm (not according to gear selection). There is lots of content on the net about people's settings and I will likely one/some of those as a baseline and go from there.

I have to admit to having somewhat of a concern about the health of the gearbox, but my approach will be progressive and incremental in both setting up and using the quickshifter. There will, obviously, be a retraining involved, but it's totally achievable. Besides, using a quickshifter is not limited exclusively to full throttle use.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

mik_str wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:07 pm The Healtech unit allows you to program the cut-off (both delay and duration) according to engine rpm (not according to gear selection).

I have to admit to having somewhat of a concern about the health of the gearbox, but my approach will be progressive and incremental in both setting up and using the quickshifter. There will, obviously, be a retraining involved, but it's totally achievable. Besides, using a quickshifter is not limited exclusively to full throttle use.
OK, in that case you can use a longer delay so that you can use it in all gears and revs.

But even if you find a gear playing up, or selector, gearbox internals are plentiful and cheap.
You have a shift star fitted, don't you?
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

I have the full Factory Pro shift set-up (shift star and detent arm), as well as better quality heim joints in the linkage and needle bearings in the (aftermarket) shift lever. Shift forks were all replaced when I had the engine rebuilt a few years back too.... all the bases are covered

I don`t plan to use the QS all the time, but it will be there when I want it.... Do I need it? Of course not, but I didn`t need carbon wheels, CMC front rotors and the rest either...
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It'll knock half a second off your quarter mile time.
Of course you need it.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

It simply ties in with my desire to build the ultimate street VTR (for me)...
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

mik_str wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:07 pm I have to admit to having somewhat of a concern about the health of the gearbox, but my approach will be progressive and incremental in both setting up and using the quickshifter. There will, obviously, be a retraining involved, but it's totally achievable. Besides, using a quickshifter is not limited exclusively to full throttle use.
I have some pics I can send of a trans with over 100K on it that may alleviate some of your concerns about transmission wear and yes I up shift with out the clutch quite often.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

I am confident that my clutch and tranny are in impeccable shape; I am very respectful of my equipment - there is a difference between use and abuse (one can extract performance without breaking everything). I never shift without the clutch FWIW... though obviously Mike's results show it can be done safely

Truth be told, I was watching a video on the motorcyclistonline.com site of the Zack Courts testing a Ducati 959 (https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/vide ... 9-panigale) and his use of the quickshifter (not always at full throttle incidentally) got me thinking that it would be fun to have one on my VTR.... so here I am... my Xmas present to myself

Last thing: welcome back to the site Mike :)
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

Mike's back.. whoop whoop.
Hope you had a nice chrimbo man?

Storm still purring away?
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time