Badly corroded exhaust clamp

General Bike chat
Wicky

Re: Badly corroded exhaust clamp

Post by Wicky »

Thread resurrection

Working on a little project to look at getting some custom made split flanges in stainless - can somebody please confirm these measurements

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Varastorm will have those measurments :D
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Things are progressing. Confirmed they'll be able to 2D cut out in either mild steel or stainless

Looking at copying this design as suggested by KermitLeFrog in the previous page in the thread. I'm favouring making a fully stainless steel version - depending on what welder has to say - it'll cost a bit more than mild steel but longevity is the priority. Holes in the drawing will change into slots to account for width of the cuts, made after the tubes are welded on.

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Wicky wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:30 pm Things are progressing. Confirmed they'll be able to 2D cut out in either mild steel or stainless

Looking at copying this design as suggested by KermitLeFrog in the previous page in the thread. I'm favouring making a fully stainless steel version - depending on what welder has to say - it'll cost a bit more than mild steel but longevity is the priority. Holes in the drawing will change into slots to account for width of the cuts, made after the tubes are welded on.

Those will work fine, well done.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

nice looking job :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Sent off revised drawing for kwacka style split flange - decided against the tube and bolt version as too much faffing about with extra material welding and cutting. This version can be simply cut out then sent for trimming (CNC?) to achive the interlocking pieces.

fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

Wicky wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:55 pm Sent off revised drawing for kwacka style split flange - decided against the tube and bolt version as too much faffing about with extra material welding and cutting. This version can be simply cut out then sent for trimming (CNC?) to achive the interlocking pieces.

that looks great,
a bit tidier than mine- i used a slit disc and angle grinder to achieve the interlock profile..
I've just got in from fitting it after ages buggering about with broken corroded studs..
i will post some info and photos now on the other thread..
“If all insects on Earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on Earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within 50 years all forms of life would flourish.” Biologist Jonas Salk
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Cheers - its still only at the drawing stage and a rough cardboard mockup like you made - the colour pics are of a similar type of flange for kwackas. Do the measurements match what you had as mine are still attached on a spare header.

Knew O'level TD would eventually come in useful for somefink after almost 40 years.

Loooking at an initial production run of 20 widgets. So that will do 10 bikes for 1 header or 5 bikes front & rear. Then possibly more if there's a demand.

fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

Wicky wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:52 pm Cheers - its still only at the drawing stage and a rough cardboard mockup like you made - the colour pics are of a similar type of flange for kwackas. Do the measurements match what you had as mine are still attached on a spare header.

Knew O'level TD would eventually come in useful for somefink after almost 40 years.

Loooking at an initial production run of 20 widgets. So that will do 10 bikes for 1 header or 5 bikes front & rear. Then possibly more if there's a demand.

i measured up originally to make a pair from scratch from a sheet of 8mm SS but with the lack of a workshop and just a grinder and drill i realised it would be tiresome and expensive to do- particularly holesawing 2 x 45mm holes 8mm deep through SS.
i just brought 2 plain mild steel 45mm x 8mm flanges as the blanks then cut out a section and the interlock profile as a cheap option.
would really like to do a better job and use SS but time and money are not overflowing at present.
the stud slots in the flanges i used are bit too wide apart and needed to be extended with a round file to match with the bosses on the VTR.
i made the distance between the stud centres approx 73mm.. nothing else (except header diameter) should matter within reason..
will yours be SS and do you have an idea of £/pair?
thanks mate..
“If all insects on Earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on Earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within 50 years all forms of life would flourish.” Biologist Jonas Salk
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

i made the distance between the stud centres approx 73mm.. nothing else (except header diameter) should matter within reason..
will yours be SS and do you have an idea of £/pair?
I measured centre to centre 70mm exactly and laying up the cardboard prototype to the originals the holes match. Still awaiting a quote fom the laser cutters on producing them in SS. They can do either 6mm or 8mm thick. Then popping down to local college / or local engineering firm for finishing with a bands saw(?). So while price still unknown, things are progressing as the cutters also recieved a spare rear header with OEM flange attached I posted for them to see what I'm aiming for.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Wicky wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:55 pm Sent off revised drawing for kwacka style split flange - decided against the tube and bolt version as too much faffing about with extra material welding and cutting. This version can be simply cut out then sent for trimming (CNC?) to achive the interlocking pieces.

Nice one Wicky, I definitely prefer this design 8)

Good luck with it,

Chris.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Good news production is going ahead with 30 widgets in stainless steel

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

After building a jig to locate and hold in place, making the tooling pass with a mil will go quickly...time will be most in the set up work holding if done with out a jig, or building the jig if your going to do a bunch of them.
If done on a CNC or even a manual mil that has DRO with a digital locater probe ...then no jig needed and set up will go much faster.

very nice work on getting these made.....well done
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Wicky wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:28 pm Good news production is going ahead with 30 widgets in stainless steel

Excellent Wicky. Was a price confirmed?
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Sorted out price for the run of 30 laser cut blanks - still got to process them at my end with the hole aligning overlaps.

Going to pop along once the blanks are in my dabblers to local engineering firms / collge workshop to find a way to best do some metal removal where required.

Mulled about doing it DIY using a metal capable chop saw to make the cuts and yes E.Marquez some kind of jig/s was rotaing about in my day dreaming mind's eye just this very afternoon.

Guestimate so far is £20ish plus P&P depends on what the next stage adds to costs.

Haven't done this kind of fabrication processing since metalwork at school aged 13. Well more design and out sourcing so far than actually getting my hands dirty apart from making the carboard prototype. Haven't done much to any of the bikes recently cos of the crappy wet weather - just charging batteries and running around on the Transalp and keeping chain lubed up, while waiting for Spring.