From 107 to 128

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
fabiostar

Re: From 107 to xxx

Post by fabiostar »

freeridenick wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:17 pm Cases are back from being checked for tolerance and honed. The good news is the bores are good and round and they've matched the pistons to the bores for best fit - no front or rear on the JEs.

Bad news is I need new rings.
happy days nick good news then :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Rings are around 100.00 a set from Honda but they should be able to get them in within a few days.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

freeridenick wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:17 pm Cases are back from being checked for tolerance and honed. The good news is the bores are good and round and they've matched the pistons to the bores for best fit - no front or rear on the JEs.

Bad news is I need new rings.
great news saving lot of money and troubles, you should use new rings with new pistons anyway.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

I've just priced up all the parts I need and it's well over £350. 8O

I can't do without head gaskets, rings, con-rod bolts and clutch centre lock nut but I'm going to recheck the bearings with Plastigauge. That would save over £100. I'm aware of the potential false economy.

There are items like water pump o-ring, water joint o-rings and exhaust port gaskets. Is it another false economy to not replace these? Engine cover gaskets are on the list too but the cheapskate in me says gasket sealant will do.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

try to use japan.webike.net and you will have it for 50% for the most of the parts.
podman

Post by podman »

freeridenick wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:27 pm I've just priced up all the parts I need and it's well over £350. 8O

I can't do without head gaskets, rings, con-rod bolts and clutch centre lock nut but I'm going to recheck the bearings with Plastigauge. That would save over £100. I'm aware of the potential false economy.

There are items like water pump o-ring, water joint o-rings and exhaust port gaskets. Is it another false economy to not replace these? Engine cover gaskets are on the list too but the cheapskate in me says gasket sealant will do.
Considering your going for a big BHP figure, seems a false economy to skimp under the circumstances?

I can tell you from experience, saving a few quid on the appropriate gaskets and O rings on an engine rebuild soon fades when your tearing down your freshly rebuilt engine , maybe missing out on a track-day which has cost you a couple of hundred quid to attend..

I'm collecting the parts for the build on my 350 engine at the moment but as you say, its expensive, so im buying a couple of items every month and/or when I manage to flog something on eBay and raise some funds.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

My pov, everything what can be part of regular maintenance without going into engine case and removing heads, can be done cheaper way - side cover gaskets, exaust, water pump. But bearings for rods and crank, new just because you probably don't go into engine again.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You should be able to find an engine rebuild gasket set for less money than buying the parts individually.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

I've been a bit too busy to make any progress with this these last couple of weeks but I managed to get a few hours in yesterday.

Service limits have all been checked and are all good and all parts are now laid out in order ready to go back in. I had a cost saving brain wave and checked the ring gaps for the rings that were in the engine already. I think they are OK - the engine has only done about 16k but feedback from other appreciated.
Front: 1st 0.35mm; 2nd 0.56mm; oil rings both 0.6mm
Rear: 1st 0.35mm; 2nd 0.56mm; oil rings bottom one 0.6mm the top one 0.65

Next step is ordering all the replacment parts and looking at crankcase venting mods. I also have an idea about gearbox mods that I'm exploring.

Stephan

Post by Stephan »

My opinion is that rings are somehow adapted or deformed to pistons and cylinders and these slight size differences in pistons can make some harm in cylinder walls or compression when old rings are used with new pistons until rings are reshaped to new configuration. There will be the same process with new piston rings anyway, but with lower extremes.

Not saying it rigorously ...
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Thanks for the ring gap info. Just by that I know my old school why of setting the gaps hasn't changed :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The problem is with reusing rings is that they don't wear evenly.
The front and rear will always wear more than the sides.

So unless you marked the gap position on the old pistons you won't get them in the same positions.

I'd always use properly gapped new rings.
The last thing you want is to have to rebuild it again in a few weeks after a ring snaps or its too smoky.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I also think it's false economy using the old rings, personally I wouldn't, only my 2 pence worth,

Chris.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Crankcases done and cleaned up. Now waiting on a delivery from David Silver and she can go back together.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

David Silver order is expected today and I've just secured the final piece of engine bling - a set of oversized valves. :D :D

Rebuild starts tomorrow.