The Stunting Thread......

General Bike chat
Squiffythewombat

The Stunting Thread......

Post by Squiffythewombat »

Well, seeing as my bike is nearing completion im getting even more desperate to get out again. Im going to start back on slowing down my stand ups and getting use to my new sprocket which should be 2 teeth up on the back!

Highchairs still seem really worrying, although splits is easy...

Some people must still stunt on here...what can you do, are you learning?
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
adstar

wheelies

Post by adstar »

just 1st gear wheelies for me too...

Haven't got the knack of clutching the storm up in second - can't get it to wheelie just using roll on and off in second (bike is standard cans and gearing)...

that said my 1st gear ones normally last till i hit the limiter - have tried changing up a couple of times but 1st to 2nd is quite clunky...

any tips?
monomaster

Post by monomaster »

Sounds like you've come a long way there Squiffy ol' mate... 8)
Happiness is a 200kph mono past a Catholic Schoolgirl excursion
Squiffythewombat

MONO!!!!! HEY DUDE!!! Where have you been hiding?

Adstar- you can wheelie a stock storm!!! I had ART cans when i started learning but had to change back to stock, however i use exactly the same technique and it comes up fine! I dont do clutch so have no idea,it still baffles me. The storm has quite a short 1st gear so its quick to hit the limiter, its the slow wheelies that are elite...

stormeruk- LOOOOOL @ foot off, butt off stunt! Pulled a few of those too, lol! thats classic!

Mono- tip hunting again....how do you slow yours down? my 2nd gears just keep running on to like 60+ when really i want to slow them down to a constant 35ish. Thus, i think, gaining more distance too, not to mention looking better! Ive tried dragging the rear but i either snap the front down or just dont get it up in the first place? Is this still the gospel way to slow them down or am i missing something? Otherwise ill carry on with the rear dragging and see how it goes?
Squiffy_The_Wombat

alan

wheelies

Post by alan »

I am so jealous i cant wheelie for sh1t no money last time i wheelied a bike i flipped it i was sore for weeks especially when the wife got the toothbrush on my knees scrubbing tarmac out my skin!!!!!!!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: wheelies

Post by sirch345 »

alan wrote:I am so jealous i cant wheelie for sh1t no money last time i wheelied a bike i flipped it i was sore for weeks especially when the wife got the toothbrush on my knees scrubbing tarmac out my skin!!!!!!!!
Ouch :!: :!: that sounds painful :!: :)
alan

stunts

Post by alan »

Oh it was Chris still have the scars aswell.
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

stunts you can do?

I can do a 100 foot jump clearing a Peugeot 306 with a half twist and full tuck with a perfectly executed chin bar landing whilst simultaneously launching the bike into a riderless stoppie with pirouette, finishing in the "laying in road" position.

wheelies is for sissies :D
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
Max

Post by Max »

Kitch wrote:stunts you can do?

I can do a 100 foot jump clearing a Peugeot 306 with a half twist and full tuck with a perfectly executed chin bar landing whilst simultaneously launching the bike into a riderless stoppie with pirouette, finishing in the "laying in road" position.

wheelies is for sissies :D
A friend of mine did something similar many years ago on a RD250 using a Marina as his launch device, he even did the flapping arms as he flew through the air.
Max

monomaster

Post by monomaster »

Squiffythewombat wrote:MONO!!!!! HEY DUDE!!! Where have you been hiding?
Finishing off my project bike mate, still been lurking though!
Squiffythewombat wrote: Mono- tip hunting again....how do you slow yours down? my 2nd gears just keep running on to like 60+ when really i want to slow them down to a constant 35ish. Thus, i think, gaining more distance too, not to mention looking better! Ive tried dragging the rear but i either snap the front down or just dont get it up in the first place? Is this still the gospel way to slow them down or am i missing something? Otherwise ill carry on with the rear dragging and see how it goes?
A lot of guys talk about riding (trailing the rear brake lever), to be honest I stay well away from the brake. The key is to first get the front as high as you can! When your up, you feel like your going to loop it, but the "balance point" is only around 9 o'clockish. You want to get it up to around 10 o'clock & you will find you dont need the speed/throttle to hold it up there as much.
The furthest I've got was about 2.5kms before the fuel in the carb bowls dried up & I was forced to land again. I can't get a walking pace mono going. You need HUGE rear sprockets for that. Slowest i've had was around 30KPH.

Take care & keep your oil level over full ;)
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

[quote="monomaster]the "balance point" is only around 9 o'clockish.[/quote]

Does that count as a wheelie?
To my way of thinking a balance point at 9 o'clock would imply horizontal
I've nearly mastered that bit :lol:
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
dookie

Post by dookie »

Took all the flesh of my left kneecap and scraped a couple of mill of the bone when i crashed my cbr600 about 11 years ago and the scrubbing brush the nurse used to remove all the dirt and grass was stiff enough to take paint of bricks 8O
Poor gal was knackered afterwards and my knee was the size and colour of a basketball.
There was a time i used to care
Squiffythewombat

OUCH @ some of these crash stories....

Mono, i can pretty much get the balance point at anywhere i choose up to about 11. I cant get it at 12 yet, thats just too far! But, like you i VERY rarely actually touch the rear which is why i think learning to drag it is very hard! Mostly the torque on the vtr is enough to lower the front by closing the throttle.

ARHHH Sprockets...as it happens im just about to order a new sprocket but ive got a few days "leeway" so maybe i should go more than 2 teeth up on the rear? What do you reccon?

As for furthest distance - sit down 2nd gear about 100 yards
- stand up 2nd gear about 1/4 of a mile
- stand up 2nd to 3rd gear change about 3 feet.
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Squiffythewombat

http://ozfirestorm.proboards34.com/inde ... 1104034567

some intresting reading for slowmo wheelies

EDIT_ the aussie forums seems to be full of stunters for some reason? :-S
Squiffy_The_Wombat

monomaster

Post by monomaster »

Squiffythewombat wrote:OUCH @ some of these crash stories....

ARHHH Sprockets...as it happens im just about to order a new sprocket but ive got a few days "leeway" so maybe i should go more than 2 teeth up on the rear? What do you reccon?
Mate, true slow mono's require about a minimum of a 55 tooth rear spocket generally. This size rear will also require a replacement longer chain. Down side is it makes the bike unsuitable for general road riding.

My advice personally, unless you want to stunt as a primary means of riding, stick to your 2 - 3 up rear sprocket & go for distance instead. Or start trying highchairs.... :wink:
Oh...stay away from wheelchairs though :lol: :lol: :lol: