hesitation problem

General Bike chat
Scott Malcolm

hesitation problem

Post by Scott Malcolm »

Hey all

I was riding to work this morning and twice my bike loss power for a brief instance (probably like a half a second). It was like I grabbed the clutched quickly and snapped it back out. I was going around 75mph. This has never happened before so I'm a little worried. Ever happen to any of you? Any ideas what might have caused it or what it might be??

Thanks,
Scott
tattie

Hesitation problem

Post by tattie »

I have had this happen to me about 3 times, there seems to be no rhyme nor reason to it. When it happens it feels like you have momentarily ridden over a small patch of ice or like the clutch gives a miniscule slip.
I thought it may possibly have been the chain riding up on the rear sprocket as the first two times it happened to me, my chain was on the way out. But it has happened since I replaced the chain.

:roll:
Common sense ain't all that common!
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

In the last week I have filled up with fuel in the morning near work, and when i have riden home the bike has miss fired and gone onto one cylinder.
The first time it happened i got home got my leathers off went to have a look at the bike and it ran fine,but there was some petrol on the floor from an overflow pipe.
The secon time it happend I had filled up in the morning again and it did the same within 800m of leaving work, this time it went onto 1 cylinder then died. Sat at the side of the road for a while, the bloody thing would not start.
I then remebered reading on here or the mcn sight about filling the bike and getting an air lockor vacume in the tank. The cure was to open the fuel cap and shut it again. Bike started and was fine all the way home.
This has only happened when I have filled it to the top and left it parked in the sun all day.
Must be something to do with the very hot weather.
I have never had it happen if i fill it up and ride it stieght away.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

what time of day did it happen? what was the weather like? did it happen during a constant throttle position, just after some engine braking, during acceleration or just as you applied the throttle after constant throttle?

Del.
Fireman on a Storm

filled up about 0830, road home at about 1630. Hot and sunny all day 35deg C

Road abour 800m side roads then duel carrage way when it started to die it did not matter what I did with the gas.
andy c

Post by andy c »

just an idea but check the tank vent isn't blocked if the air can't get in the fuel can't get out
Fireman on a Storm

Where is the tank vent , please
andy c

Post by andy c »

i think its one of the small pipes on the bottom of the tank but not sure. we have a simillar problem at work on trucks if the tank vent gets blocked it causes them to stop because if air can't replace fuel in the tank as its used it causes a vacuum in the tank
hope this helps

going on holiday now so goodbye for a week

andy
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

was that 800m from starting the bike, if so leave the choke on for longer and get the pilot air screws checked cos it could be running too lean.

Del.
DD

Post by DD »

Refuring to the fist to posts could it be a oil thing, allowing the clutch to slip
And I thought that most tanks breath (vent) though the filler cap? (the hose underneith is a overflow) this has been knowin to happen on my MG were pulling it apart and cleaning it up fixed the prob.
cheers Darryl
Tony_tbone

Post by Tony_tbone »

Hey Scott, I had this same problem right after put on a license plate reducer kit. It took me a few days to figure out how this was related. But in the process of taking apart the rear fender and cutting off the old license plate holder and fender I had to unplug the computer management box which is located in the rear, under the seat. It is the black box with several electrical cables plugged into it right in front of the rear brake light. I had unplugged some of the cables to remove this black electrical box while cutting out the rear fender and didn't plug one of the cables back into it properly. This caused the exact same problem as you mentioned above, on and off throttle and power. It was horrible.

Before figuring this problem out my friend, who is a certified mechanic at the Honda dealership here and who also owns a 2000 VTR told me he thought that it sounded as if one of the jets in one of my carbs had slipped out of place (which I didn't realize was possible either). I was about to have my carbs rebuilt. Thankfully we figured it out.

Good luck on getting it fixed, :)
Tony
'98 VTR1000F - Superhawk 996
Dallas, TX