Hello all - newbie

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Oblix

Hello all - newbie

Post by Oblix »

Hi everyone,

I've just joined, as I'll be getting my VTR1000F this Saturday (weather permitting).

Its a 2004 model, with 3,800 miles on the clock.

After a 5 year break from bikes (children, larger car etc.) I bought a CB500 Sport, on the off chance that I might actually get back into biking.

The CB500 Sport is cracking bike. Very soon I joined a local and very friendly ride-out group and my confidence, enjoyment and experiance came on leaps and bounds. It really wasn't long before I started scratching pegs (and the center stand :D )

Then a colleague at work announced that he was going to do all sorts of things to his CBR650F, which kinda got me thinking.... so I thought and I thought, then came across the VTR1000F. Looked at a lot of awful YouTube vidoes. Went and had a look at a couple of bikes, and now I've got one!

Anyway, enough rambling.

Thanks all! :thumbup:
Here's hoping to thousands of miles of happy care free motoring!
Peter.
Wicky

Re: Hello all - newbie

Post by Wicky »

Greetings

WATCH out for the engine breaking (CCT) / braking when you take it out! - Get that out the way...

and for reference > Bike Maintenance and Upgrades/Modifications

Pics and location as there are VTR events up and down the land this sunny Summer.
Last edited by Wicky on Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Welcome to the club Peter. Loads of great information and helpful advice on here.

:thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Oblix

Post by Oblix »

Thanks for the reply! :)

Love the engine breaking on the CB500, but I'm sure the VTR will be a whole new revalation! Thanks for the links too, I'll be sure to check them out.

Regards
Peter
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Hello and welcome to the forum Peter :wave: :thumbup:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Welcome Peter.

I'd only owned or ridden a handful of bike before getting my VTR and it would be a tough job to make me get rid of it. Great bikes once you sort the few niggles they have.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard Peter :thumbup:
Wow that is a nice low mileage bike you've got yourself.

There is only really two weak points on a Firestorm/Superhawk as far as letting you down goes. (1) is the rectifier (this was a non-finned type so more prone to overheating and was fitted to the earlier versions) and (2) the CCT (Cam Chain Tensioner) failing. Apart from that if the bike has been well looked after they are pretty reliable bikes,

Chris.
VTR3545

Post by VTR3545 »

Welcome....low mileage bike you got there....barely run in.....sure you will enjoy it like we all do.....let the modding begin

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

podman

Post by podman »

Welcome in mate, you'll find loads of useful info on here...bike sounds very nice...get some pics up!
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

Welcome along - great bike and great place this. Whereabouts in the country are you, and the one thing everyone is itching to know is...what colour is the low mileage lovely??
Oblix

Post by Oblix »

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the fantastic replies!

I picked up my VTR yesterday in less than ideal weather, got lost on my way home, had to ride along some filthy roads. But made it safely home.

What an absolutely amazing bike! Why on earth didn't I do this years ago?!

As soon as I got home, got the paperwork away, I immediately jumped straight back on again and went for a nice long ride.

Today (Sunday) I went for an even longer ride. So far I've done over 200 miles. And every one of them with a smile on my face! Absolutely love that vtwin!!!

I was able to squeeze out 175-180 miles from the tank, so clearly being careful with the throttle.

The tyres are 10 years old, they feel OK in both cold/wet conditions as they do in the dry. They're Pirelli Corsa III's which I think are more sport than sport touring. But either way, I was thinking of just putting miles on them sooner rather than later and replacing them. I've seen a couple of threads about tyres so I'll start there.

Just need some cans 😁

Thanks all!
Peter
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

welcome along peter. so you have found the joys of a v twin :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
exTRX850

Post by exTRX850 »

Amazingly low use for a bike of that age.

Put it in bubble wrap & buy another one to ride !
as seen on a low doorway lintel a long time ago, far, far away - "be kind to your mind"
motojohn

Post by motojohn »

welcome to the group they are a good bunch on here :) and don't be afraid to ask questions as they have all the answers :beer:
If you think my attitude stinks ,you should smell my fingers !!
mdb

Post by mdb »

Welcome. I have just started riding one. It's a good machine. Should provide some meaty grins.