Tank slapper

General Biker Banter
jasonbrownett

Tank slapper

Post by jasonbrownett »

Hi guys and girls, need some help I took vtr out the other day for its first shakedown run after fitting 1996 fireblade forks. The bike handles lovely and as the ride progressed and I felt more confident I upped the speed on a road I know well which is a b road so not super smooth. As I was just coming out of a left hander and putting down the power the bars went light and wiggled from side to side only for a split second. My firestorm also did this when I had the standard firestorm forks in when overtaking a car and I think I hit a cat's eye. Now I not too concerned as I've had tank slappers in the past and have ridden fast sports bikes for years it's just I always thought Honda's were usually very stable bikes. Just wondering if I need to soften suspension and lower rebound. Any ideas ????

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

jasonbrownett

Re: Tank slapper

Post by jasonbrownett »

My vtr rear may be jacked up slightly?Image

Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

jasonbrownett wrote:My vtr rear may be jacked up slightly?Image

It may have a shim on the rear shock if it’s raised higher than stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
jasonbrownett

Post by jasonbrownett »

Duffy1964 wrote:
jasonbrownett wrote:My vtr rear may be jacked up slightly?Image

It may have a shim on the rear shock if it’s raised higher than stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Think it is mate Image

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Did you get the forks revalved and setup for your weight ?

I had blade forks and hated them .
popkat

Post by popkat »

All the storms I've had would wag the bars over crests and off some bumps, never got out of control and never a problem. The are rear biased as standard and even with a shock spacer it doesn't make them nose heavy so it's probably just not quite enough weight over the front, the upside is neutral and predictable handling.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Have you got the forks pulled through the yokes at all?
With blade forks you don't need to because they're shorter than Storm forks.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Get rid of the preload on the back shock if you have a shim fitted.
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

didnt realise you were on here jason :clap: .. its because your bikes red lol.... :lol:

as some have said if you have a shock spacer that can cause it but not always to root of the problem. service the forks and what states your rear shock in? to hard at the rear can cause interesting stuff at the front :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

lloydie wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:43 pm Did you get the forks revalved and setup for your weight ?

If you've not done as Lloydie says above you won't get the benefits of the RWU Blade forks otherwise, other than they will have less flex in them with the stanchions being thicker and better yokes.

Interesting Lloydie to hear you didn't get on with the Blade forks, was there anything in particular you could pin-point that to :?: Knowing you yours would have been re-valved and set up for your weight I'm sure,

Chris.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

sirch345 wrote:
lloydie wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:43 pm Did you get the forks revalved and setup for your weight ?

If you've not done a Lloydie says above you won't get the benefits of the RWU Blade forks otherwise, other than they will have less flex in them with the stanchions being thicker and better yokes.

Interesting Lloydie to hear you didn't get on with the Blade forks, was there anything in particular you could pin-point that to :?: Knowing you yours would have been re-valved and set up for your weight I'm sure,

Chris.
Massive lack of feel with the RWU forks and the same with the 929 USD .
And both sets were valved and sprung for me .

The rsv forks were much better without having to valve or spring them .
Amcq is going to love his once he sorts the knocking out .

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

lloydie wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:07 pm
sirch345 wrote:

If you've not done as Lloydie says above you won't get the benefits of the RWU Blade forks otherwise, other than they will have less flex in them with the stanchions being thicker and better yokes.

Chris.
Massive lack of feel with the RWU forks and the same with the 929 USD .
And both sets were valved and sprung for me .

The rsv forks were much better without having to valve or spring them .
Amcq is going to love his once he sorts the knocking out .
Thanks for that information Lloydie, quite surprising, but good to know the RWU and 929 forks didn't suit you,

Chris.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

I would add that I wasn't overly impressed with the 954 front end I had a few years ago. admittedly I used it with a spondon framed bike with a braced swingarm. I t looked great, I also had them redone for my weight.
I sold mine on many years ago and went back to std forks worked on by roger, and a coerce fork brace, and imho I prefer the rogered std forks. they don't look as good but I think they perform better and it's a lot cheaper.
I would like to ride a bike with the rsv front end, as they're the same length of fork..... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

billy odd ball here. iv went from standards to rwu blade forks on the spondon framed bike and i love them.. they just took that...kinda strange spindly feeling outa the front end i didnt like in the storm forks, actually i had two differeny sets of storm forks in mine, both good well set up sets but i never got on with the standard ones.. on the yellow bike yes but the blue one didnt suit the storm forks.

i suppose everybody wants a different feel from there bikes, i just like a very stiff feeling bike.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
bertye

Post by bertye »

I know this may sound silly as I am sure you have checked, is the tyre on the correct way round.