Temperature

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
BrianC

Temperature

Post by BrianC »

Just a quick question - do these run quite hot?

Im guessing with the rads located down the sides that they dont get the same airflow that an in line 4 does.

The fan on my fireblade hardly ever comes on, yet when i took storm 2 for its mot i noticed the temp nudge up to the 3/4 mark and then it dropped back, just as i got home noticed the fan stayed on after i switched it off .

Just as an aside to top the coolant off surely i dont have to take fairing off ?
Wicky

Re: Temperature

Post by Wicky »

It will get a tad hot if run in town stop-start traffic esp on warm days. Perfectly normal as long as it cools down on more open runs.
Last edited by Wicky on Sat May 12, 2018 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I guess it depends on how far away your mot testing station is, and traffic conditions :)
What's the coolant level like in the expansion tank :?: You need to check this when the engine is cold.

Perhaps they are not all the same, but I think my fan cuts in at just over the half way marker on the dial. My bike is the earlier 16ltr petrol tank model.

I have never tried to remove the radiator cap with the fairing in place, but then it's not a big job to remove it,

Chris.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

How much coolant shpuld bein expansion tank?
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

BrianC wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 10:03 am Just a quick question - do these run quite hot?
they can in stop and go traffic, thats the only time in summer heat Ive ever had a real issue
BrianC wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 10:03 am Just as an aside to top the coolant off surely i dont have to take fairing off ?
No, like any other closed system, you do not fill at the rad tank cap for "topping off". You put coolant in the exspansion tank... if the rads are low, assuming your hoses are in good condition and sealed, the vacuum created as the coolant cools will draw fluid into the right radiator
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

BrianC wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 3:57 pm How much coolant should be in expansion tank?
It's 0.7 of a litre.
The marks on the expansion tank are not that easy to see the level with. I find shining a light down into the refill neck helps to see the level easier on the outside where the level markers are,

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

remove the two retaining screws on that side of the fairing by your knee and you can jut about get at the rad cap with a wee funnel and a bottle of coolant..
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Ill check the expansion tank as i suspdct i might be a bit short of coolant, given i had the front head of this one.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Did you drain and refill the cooling system with the correct amount? (It's a closed system so it can't go anywhere except if there's a leak)
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Wicky wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 8:05 am Did you drain and refill the cooling system with the correct amount? (It's a closed system so it can't go anywhere except if there's a leak)
Absolutly, though It can go on to the ground out of the expansion tank if you really overheat it and the tank was at or above the full mark...
Ive only done that once in mid summer heat of 42c on the on the road way in full sun. Was stuck on what we call a toll road, limited access concrete walls on both sides, and there was a 4 car with fatality accident, I was stuck in a 2 mile que stop and go......and she puked coolant on the ground after about an hour..... I put her on the side of the road and got offered a seat in a copes car that was directing traffic... sat in that car chatting with the copper for another hour...then road home happy and at speed.
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Didnt completely drain the system when i did the front head.

I suspect i was airlocked a bit when i refilled, so i'll just check the level.

It wasnt glowing hot when i tried it - just checking

Brian