Hot running on new cans!

General Bike chat
Pipstorm

Hot running on new cans!

Post by Pipstorm »

Just fitted some ART titanium ovals to my 'storm, sounds / looks fantastic :P , but I’m a little concerned as it seems to be running "hotter" :oops:

The tick over has increased, presumably due to less back pressure, the bike now warms up much quicker, starts with little or no choke from cold the temp gauge now sits in at the centre mark rather than the 1/4 mark.

Should I be concerned :?: ART has told me that they run on standard settings but I don’t want to do any damage.

Any advice welcome :idea:

Cheers

Phil
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Get it jetted properly, it's running hotter beacuse the bike has now leaned out due to the cans. Lean = heat and melted pistons etc.

Del.
Pipstorm

hot running

Post by Pipstorm »

cheers for the advice, why the fook do ART say they are ok on standard settings? .....then I suppose it is until it goes phut!

Thanx

Phil
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

Talk to Daz he has good contacts with ART

Talked to my helpfull dealer about jetting and melting vavles. He said they have to run very lean to melt things. He also said storms on standard cans and jets run a bit rich so therefore the art cans should not cause a problem. .
The dealer said if it runs fine with no big flat spots the carb will not be that much out as far as the jets are concerned.Balancing the carbs would be a good idea.
A Dyno shop will allways say you must have a dyno jet kit fitted(thats how they earn thier money)

Asked Daz about the cans and jetting and he said the same, standard storms run rich and the cans put the nearer to where they should be,
Last edited by Fireman on a Storm on Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

fireman,

I should talk to your dealer cos it ain't just about main jets, it probably wasn't on just the mains at all when it's getting hot. The needles do nearly all the work on day to day riding. Dynojet needles have completely different tapers to the standard ones. I think you'll find all exhuast manufacturers say they don't need rejetting just so you buy their exhaust. If they said nah mate you need to rejet it then you would look elsewhere. My personal opinion is stick it on the dyno cos that's what it's there for, it's £30 well spent even if it proves ok.

Del.
v twin

hot running on new cans

Post by v twin »

hi all,,,, i just put some new scorpion cans on, they were running fine untill the other day it started to backfire at the front end it still does this but cuts out every now and then,, would it b a good idea to go to honda dealer to sort out or just get it dyno jetted, i am a bit unsure if i should use the bike incase i do some damage to the engine, as it seems to be getting warmer than it did before :?: thanks
Pipstorm

hot running

Post by Pipstorm »

:D Welcome advice, me thinks a dyno session should be the way ahead, had a gentle run home last night and the misses still heard me from 3 miles away, just time to get the kettle on! I love the sound these cans make.

Cheers

Phil
masked gerbal

Hot Cans

Post by masked gerbal »

Guys

I put a set of ART high level cans on about 7 months ago. I have done a bout 7000 with them on without any problems. Does not run hot at all. ART told be that I didn't need to change the jets because, as has been pointed out, the Storm runs rich as standard so the cans just make it run leaner. Only other mode is a K&N filter. Had the bike on the dyno and got 109 bhp at the rear wheel. Guy at the rolling road said that it was a bit fluffy below 4500 rmp but after that it took off. He recomended a bit of work on the jets to sort the pick up - one day I may do it but £200 is a lot to part with, and anyway the noise it just wombles great.

Cheers

:twisted:
Now got the ART - Watch your ears !!!!
F*&^ Me They Set Car Alarms Off Too
Great !
smokin joes

hot running

Post by smokin joes »

Ran mine on ART high levels for about six months, no problems, then fitted dyno kit..what a difference, then fitted K&N..again..another WOW !!
110 bhp at the wheel (Revolution Racing Dyno ) 4 wks ago.
storms do run rich on the blocked up pipes they have as standard, it would have to be very lean to do any damage,
are you getting "pinking" at all?? mind you, you wont hear it anyway haha..

Mine runs between quarter and half, unless i'm ragging it, then it runs at half guage constantly. The fans will kick in if things get too hot anyway..

Hope this helps.
Geoff M
Sex is like air. It only becomes really important when you aren't getting any.
Pipstorm

Post by Pipstorm »

:D Dropped the tickover down to 800rpm, (after fitting cans tickover when warm went up to 1800rpm)
This morning on the work run the temp gauge ran up to just under 1/2 way mark whilst sitting in heavy traffic, the rest of thhe time at 1/4 mark. Maybe she didn't like ticking over at high rate?

No pinking at all just :D very loud. Anyone know of any respectable dynos in Edinburgh/Glasgow/Carlisle? Think this is still the way to go, better safe than sorry.

Cheers

Phil
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

Pipstorm wrote::No pinking at all just :D very loud. Anyone know of any respectable dynos in Edinburgh/Glasgow/Carlisle?
Try Swona - http://www.swona.com/
Pipstorm

Post by Pipstorm »

Cheers will get book in asap. Checked the plugs, they are a little lighter than they should be so it's obviously running leaner than normal- Dynojet kit here we come.

Phil