Mayo

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
jchesshyre

Mayo

Post by jchesshyre »

I noticed a bit of mayonnaise in the rear valve cover breather earlier. I have been doing rather too many short journeys recently - is this the likely cause (condensation in the rear head - highest point of the engine?).

I damn well hope I don't have a blown rear head gasket. Coolant level doesn't seem to be falling.

I might do a compression test tomorrow.
tony.mon

Re: Mayo

Post by tony.mon »

It is worth keeping an eye on but could just be a little coolant that dropped into the cases when someone took the clutch cover off.
A decent run should evaporate it off, so wipe it clean and head out for a couple of hours and recheck.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

The clutch cover hasn't been off for a while. But I have a nice 250-mile round trip to do week after next so will check it then.

If it was the head gasket, would the coolant even be able to get up to the valve cover? There's zero sign of any emulsion in the sump.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

If coolant gets into the oil then it will go where the oil goes. But if it was the head gasket you woud have overheating issues too. It's probably just condensation build up mixed in with some oil vapour. Clean it up and keep and eye on things. When was the oil last changed.
==============================Enter the Darkside
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

VTRDark wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:38 pm If coolant gets into the oil then it will go where the oil goes. But if it was the head gasket you woud have overheating issues too. It's probably just condensation build up mixed in with some oil vapour. Clean it up and keep and eye on things. When was the oil last changed.
Yeah definitely no problem with the cooling system so I think I'm in the clear for that.

I last changed the oil 4,000 miles ago. I usually let it run the full 8,000 miles ( :Beer Popcorn: ) because I use the bike more or less every day and try and avoid short journeys, and decided to trust Honda on this figure, but on this occasion I'll change it soon as (a) I've been doing too many short journeys and (b) I topped the Motul 5000 (semi) that's in there with 5100 (ester semi) which seems to have not been a good idea - oil consumption has gone up noticeably since I did so (which I hope isn't indicative of some other problem). I'm using Shell AX7 next time as it was nice and cheap from Opie.

I'll definitely change it before I ride to York next week and then have a look after that.