Indicators flashing in reverse (left=right and vice versa)..

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
minio

Indicators flashing in reverse (left=right and vice versa)..

Post by minio »

Hi guys and gals

I have went through all historical posts relating to "indicators" and I could not find an answer.

The problem:
Indicators used to flash just fine then bike was taken apart. I put it back together and indicators are flashing the opposite way. Yes when I switch left indicator the right side is flashing and vice versa.
I swapped the wires for now so they flash the way they should. Obviously the dash is still flashing the other way round.

History:
Te bike is fitted with some LED indicators at the front. I will be removing those over the weekend, this may or may not be the problem - I shall report on that. Bike used to have all four LED indicators and it used to flash just fine. I have removed the rears (with ballasts and all) and replaced them with some bulb indicators.

I have to say that I looked at the wiring about five times now. I took apart the switch. I am not seeing anything, I mastered fairing removal. I really would like to get to the bottom of this. I am pretty sure I am missing something obvious, but obviously I have no clue what...

Thanks for your help in advance.
Last edited by minio on Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
minio

Re: Indicators flashing in reverse..

Post by minio »

No one?

I was hoping to get it MoTd tomorrow.... :( :( :(
jchesshyre

Re: Indicators flashing in reverse (left=right and vice versa)..

Post by jchesshyre »

When you say 'bike was taken apart' I assume you don't mean completely disassembled? :lol:

I have taken the indicator switch apart but can't remember if it could be put back together 'upside down' as it were...was any of the wiring harness that the switchgear plugs in to taken apart?
minio

Post by minio »

The body work and wheels were swapped over from a different Storm so no, it was not completely taken apart. Manual CC tensioners were done and few other mechanical items, nothing major. Wiring was untouched with the exception of the removal (cutting out and replacing) rear LED light and indicators.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

The reason you've not had many replies will no doubt be down to the odd problem you have, it's not a common problem. Also wiring is not everybody's speciality :)

It certainly sounds like you have something wired up back to front as jchesshyre was thinking along those lines,

Chris.
minio

Post by minio »

I am painfully aware of it..

I could not find any clear electrical drawing that would help me.

The switch gear was untouched and I cannot work out what would make it work the other way round. I am finding it difficult to believe it would be wiring at the back as how could this affect the dash?

I haven't touched anything at the front (yet) but this does not necessarily mean that something did not happen while the bike was sitting in bits.

Puzzled..
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Wiring diagram here:-
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=24036#p309540

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

If it's the rears then swap the posotive cables around in the connector block behind the rear light. It would be difficult to mix the fronts because the connectors are seperate and on each side of the bike. Have you had any on the connecor blocks disconnected up front behing the headlight on the frot stay or any of the blocks disonnected by the battery. IIRC there's two up front that fit the same kind of plug and easy to mix them up but I canlt remvber if this caused an indicator issue. I hoping it's only your rears as that's a simple fix.
==============================Enter the Darkside
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

If it's the dash tell-tales that are also reversed then it must with be the connection at the switch to wiring harness, or the indicator relay that are reversed.

If you've removed the ballast resistors, have you also changed the flasher relay?

Re two connectors that can be mistaken, on a Firestorm there are only two that could be plugged wrongly, one is near the front HT coil on the frame and is a two-pin white block, that takes the crank position sensor feed into the main harness; the other one that looks identical is under the rubber hood by the battery, fuel level I think, or possibly the power to the rear brake switch.
You can't mis-plug these due to their locations being too far apart unless you've removed and refitted the harness wrongly, or extended it.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Do you have a multimeter? I think you need to get the indicator switch open, or find the bit where its wires plug into the main loom, and do some continuity checks (consulting the wiring diagram) between the switch's terminals and various other parts of the indicator system. As Tony says, whatever's been swapped has to be between the switch and the rest of the system if the dash lights are reversed as well as the bulbs.

As far as I can see from the wiring diagram (and I'm really not an electrical expert or anywhere near being one so someone please correct me if I'm wrong) the relay doesn't 'distinguish' between right and left indicators - it just acts for whichever has been switched on at the time. It's only the handlebar switch that does this L/R distinguishing, so surely the swap must be between the switch and the rest of the system?

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

minio

Post by minio »

I have been working my way round the diagram and the wiring for the last few days (I obviously missed the MoT on Saturday).
I have gone through the entire thing twice and short of replacing the switch gear I have looked, adjusted and checked absolutely everything and I found nothing wrong.

In the end I have swapped bulbs in the instrument cluster. Everything works as it should now. I feel like I've cheated a little bit but it works.
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

Glad you got a sort of fix in place Minio. From the wiring diagram, the only place where one could switch the sides easily would be the 6P plug going to the switchblock (if you pulled the pins out and swapped the light blue and orange around), or within the switchblock itself.
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
minio

Post by minio »

I am sure I will take the switchgear apart (and its connector) one day as I am not very happy with this "fix".
I can get it MoTd now what was my main concern. Chain adjusters are fitted, bike runs well after I sorted out the fuel lines. This was the only problem left to worry about before and for the test.
Let's hope Mr MoT tester will agree with that statement.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Glad you've managed to make it MOT-able, and yes please post back if you find the cause as it's rather intriguing!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

+1 I'm curious to see how this pans out.
==============================Enter the Darkside