back brake pads destroyed!!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
budd

Re: back brake pads destroyed!!

Post by budd »

sirch345 wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:57 pm Very interesting to hear what you have found. Not a brilliant idea though if you can reassemble the caliper out of alignment IMHO.

As you say though, keep an eye on it,

Chris.
the 2 sides of the caliper are sealed with O rings and held together with M8 bolts but there are no locating pins so you get a small amount of free play around the bolts holes which allows it to be assembled slightly out of alignment, like I said it's my fault for not checking the pad retaining pin went through straight/square and pads were all free and not under any pressure. I think in the future I'll reassemble it all with the pins, pads etc and then release the main bolts the 2 halfs should then align themselves, once I'm happy they can torqued up to the required value, at the end of the day you it's a lesson learn'd.
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
Storm is now gone :cry: .
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: back brake pads destroyed!!

Post by sirch345 »

budd wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:22 am
sirch345 wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:57 pm Very interesting to hear what you have found. Not a brilliant idea though if you can reassemble the caliper out of alignment IMHO.

As you say though, keep an eye on it,

Chris.
the 2 sides of the caliper are sealed with O rings and held together with M8 bolts but there are no locating pins so you get a small amount of free play around the bolts holes which allows it to be assembled slightly out of alignment, like I said it's my fault for not checking the pad retaining pin went through straight/square and pads were all free and not under any pressure. I think in the future I'll reassemble it all with the pins, pads etc and then release the main bolts the 2 halfs should then align themselves, once I'm happy they can torqued up to the required value, at the end of the day you it's a lesson learn'd.
Good to know about things like this, certainly something I'll be watching out for on the next brake caliper service I do where this could happen.

Chris.