Clutch slipping in 3rd/4th gear all of a sudden

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
DavoVTR1000

Clutch slipping in 3rd/4th gear all of a sudden

Post by DavoVTR1000 »

Hey hope everyone is enjoying the weather?

I’ve only had the storm a week or so and today on the way home from work I noticed the clutch slipping quite a lot in 3rd from around 4.5k revs then it would be ok, the same in 4th. Its hasn’t missed a beat since I’ve had it?

Is this something that can come on instantly or does it normally get worse over time? I’ve done about 600 miles on the bike since I had it and haven’t noticed anything until this afternoon?

Could it just be fluid related or is it time for a new clutch?

Also can anyone recommend a clutch to replace it with? What have you got on your storms?

The storm has 42000 miles on it incase that helps?

Thanks

Davo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lloydie

Re: Clutch slipping in 3rd/4th gear all of a sudden

Post by lloydie »

It needs an oil change (mineral oil)
mdb

Post by mdb »

On my VFR I had a similar symptom. It turned out that my slave cylinder was leaking very slighlty and the fluid had crystalised in the chamber. It's very easy to check.

Any problems then clean it all out, replaced the seals (set costs about £20), new clutch fluid.

I would change the engine oil first though as lloydie suggested and if it persists then check the slave cylinder.
Last edited by mdb on Mon May 14, 2018 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavoVTR1000

Post by DavoVTR1000 »

Thanks I’ll change the engine oil one evening this week after work and see if that solves it.

It’s just odd how Saturday it was fine and this morning then 10 hours later Its does this.

If the clutch was going I’ve always had it as a gradual thing?

fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

does sound more like an oil/slave/bleeding problem than a clutch set letting go as it happened so quickly...

clutch wise its hard to go past the EBC heavy duty kits..
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Semi synth not fully synth oil or it may slip more. If it's had fully synth before and that is the cause of slipping then it may take a while for the semi synth to decontaminate the clutch plates.
==============================Enter the Darkside
mdb

Post by mdb »

VTRDark wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 11:02 pm Semi synth not fully synth oil or it may slip more. If it's had fully synth before and that is the cause of slipping then it may take a while for the semi synth to decontaminate the clutch plates.
I have just changed my oil and used fully synth 10w/40 motorcycle oil. Is this a bad idea with the VTR?
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

A lot of people have experianced clutch slip with fully synth. In newer bikes it would be OK but these are not new bikes and use older technology. See how you get on with it and if start to get clutch slip then you know what it is.
==============================Enter the Darkside
DavoVTR1000

Post by DavoVTR1000 »

Rode to work this morning and it didn’t do it once. And i did do a few tests to see in 3/4 and 5th. See what happens later when I ride home when it’s warmer out. Will change the oil and see if it cures it completely.

Peeb

Post by Peeb »

Is this resolved? If not, do you have adequate slack at the clutch handle? If the slack is inadequate, blead the clutch system at the slave. If you get slack and then the slack goes away after a few clutch applications, drain and remove the plastic clutch fluid res and look for two small holes under the mounting. One of the holes is so small it's hard to see. In my case, the smaller of the two holes was clogged and the obstruction prevents the master from slacking properly. While at it, there is a very inexpensive seal kit for the master that is worth replacing on a 20 year old bike. If this is resolved then I've just spent a bit of time blathering.

Peeb
DavoVTR1000

Post by DavoVTR1000 »

I had the bike serviced and the clutch fluid was horrendous and since then it hasn’t done it once. New tyres 400 miles ago makes things so much better in the weather we have been having recently great too. Thanks for the advice tho will check that anyway so it doesn’t happen again.