Broke off brass fitting in front intake. Ideas?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
EJamesJr

Broke off brass fitting in front intake. Ideas?

Post by EJamesJr »

Obviously it appreciating how soft brass is relative to steel, I overtightened the brass fitting I was using to do the carb sync mod and snapped it off flush with the jug. Of course, I used loctite since it was never coming out. Any suggestions? I’m dying over here! Ugh
7AF12D8D-5864-4FEB-A77B-60BF81D790FF.jpeg
MacV2

Re: Broke off brass fitting in front intake. Ideas?

Post by MacV2 »

EJamesJr wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:11 am Obviously it appreciating how soft brass is relative to steel, I overtightened the brass fitting I was using to do the carb sync mod and snapped it off flush with the jug. Of course, I used loctite since it was never coming out. Any suggestions? I’m dying over here! Ugh 7AF12D8D-5864-4FEB-A77B-60BF81D790FF.jpeg
Left hand drill bit...

Engine out to get at it tho unless you can find a 90* adapter for your drill...

Good luck trying... It will run a bit pants with it open to to air, so as a fix so you can ride whilst you seek a solution, block it off with epoxy...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

A bit of mild heat to soften the loctite (what colour loctite did you use?) and a fine screw extractor - careful as you as brass will be quite a bit softer than the extractor.

Access will be fun bit if you haven''t already removed tank, airbox & carb. If you need to temporaily seal it to run about before removing the broken part I wouldn't use epoxy as that could run inside before setting, just plug with say a cut down rounded match, golf tee or something softer than the brass and easily removable but capable of making an airtight seal.

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
EJamesJr

Post by EJamesJr »

If I remove the carbs, is the back of the opening accessible from inside? Seems to only be about 1cm or so from the black carbs seal. Just thinking if I have to tap it or have risk of filings getting on there, I could do some preventative measures by accessing the back.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

You just need to gain access - it is a long stretch from the top. Brass fitting just need unthreading back out - it'll already have a hole to gain purchase so one of these extractors (see below) warming up the fitting & softening the loctite. Cobble togther a long handle so you apply good pressure when turning with possibly another hand down below to guide it in.

Yes pack some lint free rag into any critical openings - esp if you need to recourse to drilling (keep hoover handy)

Where are you located? Someone might be near to help out
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

See response on the other forum you posted to
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
EJamesJr

Post by EJamesJr »

Thanks for the help. Going to try the heat and easy out. Praying that does the trick. Will remove the carbs to free up some room. The bike was running fine so wasn’t going to touch them.
I literally rode the bike home from buying and have pulled it apart to maintenance everything. I have done the coolant flush, clutch flush, front and rear brake flush, new air filter, new plugs , oil and filter. The carb sync was the final thing. I’m so annoyed at myself.

I’m in New Jersey, USA. My son is a mechanic and had a set of easy outs. He’s going to help tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
EJamesJr

Post by EJamesJr »

Pulled off the carbs and happy to see easy access to inside right where the brass screw is tapped. Should be able to keep any debris out of engine and lots of room to work.
Attachments
C6C86793-B1DD-4BF6-8BEA-621213794C7F.jpeg
D89BE799-2327-41D6-A4C1-0C2A6F632B68.jpeg
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

EJamesJr wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:46 am The carb sync was the final thing. I’m so annoyed at myself.
We've all done something similar where we could kick ourselves. I'm sure the professional's do too but we never hear about it - they just charge us extra!
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

If all else fails drill it out and tap for the next size up- an English Size might be big enough but smaller than the next size metric one up.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

BTW, I forgot to mention.... Might want to address the coolant leak you seem to have.
leak.jpg
the crud in the red circle and other spots near is is dried coolant deposits... Likely just an old hose not sealing well or a loose clamp, or both
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
EJamesJr

Post by EJamesJr »

Didn’t get a chance to thank you for your advice. Thanks! Was able to mostly back out the broken brass fitting. A little remained in the threads so I retapped the threads with the same size to clear the remaining bits. I was able to block off the hole inside so nothing got it. Used an air hose from the inside to blow out any filings. In the end, was able to install a new brass fitting and complete the mod.
Completed all the maintenance and all back together. Thanks again!
Attachments
667BC06F-B3A8-40E1-91CB-88617992245E.jpeg