Rectifier

General Bike chat
Stratman

Rectifier

Post by Stratman »

I posted a while back about what I thought was fuel starvation http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6718

Not sure now, as I think fuel is getting through. Anyone with experience of shot rectifiers (i've had a look at previous posts) care to have a look and tell me if this seems likely?

Cheers all
robin1000

Post by robin1000 »

The Storms other Achilles heel (can you have 2, maybe a little difficult to walk at all!)
If you've got a multimeter test the output with the engine running, as the unit is a reg/rec then if it's shot then it won't regulate the voltage properly.
Also check the battery. Is it hot and has it bubbled over, both signs of overcharging.
And the obvious, the reg/rec itself. Because they are moulded they have no way of dissipating the heat generated and then burn out. It will be HOT.
Check the advice on the homepage link on how to fit a Yam reg/rec. Cheap and effective and then give it a go.
If I'm wrong then I stand to be corrected :D
Check this too http://www.vlc.com.au/~justin/about/bik ... place.html
Bikes and scorned women don't mix!
Big Stu

Post by Big Stu »

Hi Stratman
I had same sort of problem, with the bike just cut out at high speed.
long story short i have fitted r6 r/r to my storm and also to a friends, I have had no problems with mine cutting out, I am no expert but it seems like a mod worth trying anyway. Stu
alan

regulator rectifire

Post by alan »

Is the r6 one same as the r1?
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Rectifier

Post by sirch345 »

Stratman wrote:I posted a while back about what I thought was fuel starvation http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6718

Not sure now, as I think fuel is getting through. Anyone with experience of shot rectifiers (i've had a look at previous posts) care to have a look and tell me if this seems likely?

Cheers all
Paul I would also think it very possible that the rectifier is suspect, as Robin said check the voltage at the battery terminals with a multi meter if you have one (if not perhaps you can borrow one) as the problem is intermittent you'll need to carry the tester with you so that you can check the voltage when it's happening as you've probably guessed. Normally the voltage at the battery terminals should be approximately 12V before starting the engine, approx 14V when charging (engine running) and dropping back to approx 13V with the lights switched on :!: Hope you get it sorted soon,

Chris.
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

Do you ride with lights on ? Having the same problem myself but took the battery off and charged it, left it a day and put the charger back on thinking it would show fully charged but no . . . . . battery shot ! ( should be at 8 years old too ! ) :roll:

p.s mine was showing 14.5 volts charging and thats okay. Dropped to 13.25 with lights on.