Travel advice - what do folks take?

General Biker Banter
freeridenick

Travel advice - what do folks take?

Post by freeridenick »

I'm riding to Austria and back and I'm interested to here what folks take with them. I'm thinking spares basically. What's the bare minimum list and what's the everything but the kitchen sink list?
tony.mon

Re: Travel advice - what do folks take?

Post by tony.mon »

Basic tools, some galvanised wire, cable ties-- long ones- and your breakdown cover card. And the EHIC.
Two clamp-on cable connectors and a length of cable, and a handful of crimp-ons.
You can fit them temporarily with pliers.
One spare plug.
And a puncture plug and gas.
Last edited by tony.mon on Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
popkat

Post by popkat »

The huge c spanner and it's extension to adjust the chain, also a 17mm socket and ratchet for the adjuster bolt, probably need 1/2 inch drive to undo it, mark the bolt and swingarm so you know where to do it back up to if you do need to adjust the chain.

Puncture repair kit, spare bulbs, hi viz vest (keep it in the top box, spare reg/rec, chain lube, waterproofs, V5 (log book). a disc lock.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

tooth brush
cable ties
and a wing and a prayer :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I read that as riding to Austalia at first and was going to suggest a barbie. :lol:
==============================Enter the Darkside
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Cheers all. The only thing I haven't got is a puncture repair kit. I ordered my wing and a prayer kit months ago but it seems there's a backlog of orders. Apparently China, the US and most other countries have been over using them.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

You should have the majority of stuff to get you out of trouble in the Honda toolkit. Just add to that a puncture repair kit, some cable ties, scraps of emergency wire and some terminals, fuses, maybe a small 12v test light, insulating tape and you should be good to go. Oh and some spare bulbs. Anything more serious than that then you will be after your breakdown cover. :thumbup:
==============================Enter the Darkside
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Well, it was a good job that Al had his puncture repair kit with him when we had a puncture at the Steve Hislop museum on the Scotland run this weekend.

Apparently the plugs can "go off" with time.......
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

I would not bother with spare bulbs, they're bound to sell them in Austria (and probably Australia), but I would take spare clutch and brake levers (even cheapie ones from China). Nothing worse than a slow-speed or stationary drop that breaks a lever and leaves you stranded for a number of days while you wait for a part. Definitely take a puncture repair kit and compressor, tools and oil for the chain, tyre pressure gauge.
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
popkat

Post by popkat »

Cadbury64 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:35 am I would not bother with spare bulbs, they're bound to sell them in Austria (and probably Australia), but I would take spare clutch and brake levers (even cheapie ones from China). Nothing worse than a slow-speed or stationary drop that breaks a lever and leaves you stranded for a number of days while you wait for a part. Definitely take a puncture repair kit and compressor, tools and oil for the chain, tyre pressure gauge.

The spare bulbs are a requirement in Europe, not sure about all of it but definitely France* they can fine you if you don't have them with you.. I went last year and my MT has LED lights, wasn't sure what would happen if stopped, never found out anyway but no point carrying bulbs in my case.

*not sure what route Nick is taking, but if I was going I'd have to go through a part of France, still should be checked what other countries enforce that rule.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

France, Belgium, Germany and Austria.

Bulbs are a requirement or advised in all. France needs a breathalyser, hi viz vest and stickers on your helmet. Which I still haven't got. Germany and Austria appear to need a warning triangle too but I'm not sure if that's just for cars. The AA has lists for all countries.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Austria:

kind of mixed info, personally I would take first aid kid, hi vis vest with en 471 norm, warning triangle, according to this source
https://www.austria.info/uk/service-fac ... ia-by-road

Keep your headlights on during daytime, check you have at least 1.6mm thread on tires, and DON'T show to anybody else incl police record from onboard camera, unless it is evidence in traffic accident. Or just remove camera in austria, but you dont have to.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Thanks Stephan. Looks like I'll be buying a triangle.

Looks like the helmet stickers in France is not as simple as 'yes you need them'. From reading the article below I won't be bothering. My time in France should be measured in minutes, not hours, and just at the start and end of the trip. A breathalyser is needed but the fine is only €11, if I can findone I'll get one, but CE approved gloves are needed.
http://motorcycleminds.org/2017/07/26/f ... e-travels/