a bit of spondoness.

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
Wicky

Re: a bit of spondoness.

Post by Wicky »

Seems to point at the tank - that was done endurance style with the twin filler. Was it resprayed? Could any of the internal piping / filter have got clogged.

Or if not a part or component - how they interface like i.e. a dodgy earth if the subframe is painted or something isn't conducting like it should and is a constant even with all swapping around.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Wicky wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:06 pm Seems to point at the tank - that was done endurance style with the twin filler. Was it resprayed? Could any of the internal piping / filter have got clogged.

Or if not a part or component - how they interface like i.e. a dodgy earth if the subframe is painted or something isn't conducting like it should and is a constant even with all swapping around.
its been a constant problem even after changing tanks from other bikes that are running perfect. i have its old tank on it now and its still the same, iv also tried both my tanks on the yellow bike and it ran perfect..

i really dont see what i have left to try???

the subframe i havent had of the bike since last year some time, iv changed the earth strap at the rear of the engine and run another extra earth from the battery and added another one on the rec unit aswell but still the same.. :sad2
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

So despite doing a Trigger's broom replacement of everything and anything the problem remains stubbornly persistant. Not at a standstill but when running & rolling.

Any parts of the airbox intake system (i.e plastics) different from stock - we know its very sensitive to changes in that dept. Air leak in carb manifolds?
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Wicky wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:37 pm So despite doing a Trigger's broom replacement of everything and anything the problem remains stubbornly persistant. Not at a standstill but when running & rolling.

Any parts of the airbox intake system (i.e plastics) different from stock - we know its very sensitive to changes in that dept. Air leak in carb manifolds?
no leaks that i can find, sprayed easy start round it and it didnt effect it, iv tried it with the plastic cover and without it and still no different :eek2 revs the very best on the stand, really crisp revving engine but once loads put on it, thats it,,, it really is triggers broom so it cant happen, really it cant but it is, if anything its getting worse everytime i go to try it?
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

well its going for dyno on tuesday. that will either cure it or it will start the breaking process, either way im happy as long as this ends before iv no hair left.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Well I know we covered this and it appears fine but have you tried a different exhaust system just to see what happens?
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Just wanted to say I am gutted for you. All the wonderful work and tireless troubleshooting... I would love to see you find the fly in the ointment...

anti-rant over...
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

god knows guys what this is :( . i havnt tried an exhaust yet , but if you rode this thing honestly you could ride a storm with no exhaust and it would run better then this thing, it really is way past a setup problem its that bad.. :eek2
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Fingers crossed for the Dyno mate. I can’t believe the grief you’ve had from that bike, crazy. Good luck :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

fabiostar wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:35 pm well its going for dyno on tuesday. that will either cure it or it will start the breaking process, either way im happy as long as this ends before iv no hair left.
Kev L wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:46 am Fingers crossed for the Dyno mate. I can’t believe the grief you’ve had from that bike, crazy. Good luck :thumbup:
+1

I sincerely hope the Dyno shows up something for you Rob.

Fingers and everything else crossed for Tuesday,

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

ah as i said it will kill it or cure it :thumbup: ..just when you said about airflow i did block up the air intake on the front of the fairing today, just incase but still the same...

so i pressed the button on the Aprilia and went out on it for a ride.. it seems one i always work at and one i never have touch!!!,, think theres a lesson to be learned in that :eek2
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

well dyno day. brought it to Elkie moto, Christian Elkins place so , he knows his stuff..

run like a dog the whole way there. had to stop the first dyno run it was running so rough, so rough infact it broke the fecking chain :redface .

so take two and 3 and 4 and 5 etc the thing was revving out, howling its head of, (this is the 12k standard motor in the frame). dyno didnt see what im feeling on the road at all other than a slight richness across the range. still starting great and ticking over great.. had a good chat with him then headed home.

just about made it with the splutters and missing after a mile or so, it seems i can rev the sh1t outa it but anything below 80% throttle its a bag of sh!t to ride..

strangly it managed 100 bhp as a total figure, but feels more like a good healthy 45/50 in the real world..

wtf ,like actual fcuk is going on here??
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

answers on a postcard please. :eek2
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

I've said it before but I'm convinced your 200 mains are too big. There has to be several overlapping problems that are causing the poor running everywhere except WOT (rich) and the mega lean front pot condition you found. That must be the blocked carbs. Drop the main jet sizes and lean off the needle, one change at a time, and see what happens.