Covid 19 virus

General Biker Banter
tony.mon

Re: Covid 19 virus

Post by tony.mon »

I'm more worried about the risk of being crushed if the huge stack of toilet rolls and pasta falls on me.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

The NHS isn’t ready for the coronavirus crisis

An intensive care isolation shed only takes a day to put up in the back garden - with that on my CV (and O'level art grade C) I'm applying for the 'Weirdos and misfits with odd skills' government job.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You won't even need an interview, mate! Enjoy your new role.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Wicky wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:14 pm I'm applying for the 'Weirdos and misfits with odd skills' government job.
See if they've got a spare place for us lot too :lol:
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

You know what I've been thinking since this started was how they never attempted to stop flights in/out of the outbreak area :crazy:

I've seen many movies where there's a virus/terror & on those movies first thing thay do is lock the area down. Maybe because it's common sense, but if I watched a film where the story line follows what's going on now I'd probably walk out.

Strange thing.. What could be going on. 201?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRJpP83MqNs
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Varastorm wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:57 pm You know what I've been thinking since this started was how they never attempted to stop flights in/out of the outbreak area :crazy:

I've seen many movies where there's a virus/terror & on those movies first thing thay do is lock the area down. Maybe because it's common sense, but if I watched a film where the story line follows what's going on now I'd probably walk out.

Strange thing.. What could be going on. 201?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRJpP83MqNs
"You know what I've been thinking since this started was how they never attempted to stop flights in/out of the outbreak area"

They did , not immediately as it wasn't clear what was happening in Wuhan, China. Due to flight shutdown Brits there had to flown out later on special flights and passengers put in isolation next to hospital in Wirral.

Though govt is very stupid in letting folk fly in from Italy without health checks as they land back in UK! :eek2 :crazy: :eek2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51292590

"I've seen many movies where there's a virus/terror & on those movies first thing thay do is lock the area down"

In The Andromeda Strain, they almost went for nuking the problem away ;-) In Outbreak there was a plan for jets to bomb and incinerate the effected town and residents...

Best not get health education from zombie / virus disaster movies as entertaining as they are ;-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outbreak_(film)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contagion_(2011_film)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/28_Weeks_Later

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_Z_(film)

However due to the infectious nature of the virus and now it has a foothold in the communit, the policy is moving on from containing it to slowing it down so it doesn't overwhelm critical and intesive care provision for those in the elderly / preexisting health issues demographic.

I get the feeling that Govt presently thinks shutting down everyone in the country in Crimbo Mk2 self-isolation for a fortnight is economically & practically unviable. Give it 10 to 14 days and we'll be about where Italy is now

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Wicky wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:01 pm
Best not get health education from zombie / virus disaster movies as entertaining as they are ;-)
That had he laughing & I don't btw, but it's a case of what your led to belive would happen when in actual fact they've done the opposite.

I'm usually listening to the radio where ever I am & it's just pumping the same info out. Corona this Corona that 80 year old dies bla bla bla, very ill beforehand so he's in hospital before the outbreak so me thinks he might of got it from someone in the hospital :eek2

Just have a look at https://www.flightradar24.com/51.02,-11.73/5 & see for yourself. No issues there, business as normal.

Same in Woohatsit land..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Varastorm wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:32 pm
Same in Woohatsit land..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo
Best not visit deepest darkest exotic N.E. Essex / Suffolk... :shh: (2:14 "VIRUS!")

“They went down a storm and everyone was interested in them. I like to be different with what I’m doing and I’m really pleased with it all.”

"I am delighted that our customers are so open-minded about trying new food – it just proves that Suffolk is one of most innovative and dynamic areas of food production.”

Squirrel samosas are on the menu at farmers' market

A US Marine wears the skin of a cobra around his head and holds its entrails between his teeth :silent:

Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

^ all 45 minutes of it??? Did they mention the source? Is there a time-stamp for the alleged "sound-bite"?
My red flag went up when one of the sponsors was named after a modern male-victim female hating chauvinist movement named after a scene from the matrix (red pill. Its big, and its so wombles stupid), and then all the other flags went up when i inevitably went to the comments section and every single comment was in praise of Jesus or Trump.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

There's nothing wrong with Jesus or Trump.

Unless you have an IQ over 30, that is.
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Friend flew back from Thailand on Monday - said they have things in place such as screening for symptoms on arrival, lots of sanitiser gels in public areas, max price on masks/gels/ supplies to avoid profiteering/panic buying etc. Flew back to Heathrow, no gels/masks (price of which has sky-rocketed), no-one checking for symptoms, feck all - embarrassing!
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

tony.mon wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:20 pm There's nothing wrong with Jesus or Trump.

Unless you have an IQ over 30, that is.
I reckon a good part of that demographic probably thinks they are the same person.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Thought I'd dig up an old Mac Keynote Pandemic presentation I did when I was working for the NHS in 2006 - it was more to to with avian influenza, but still applicable

“Most experts believe that it is not a question of whether there will be another severe influenza pandemic, but when.” (The Government’s Chief Medical Officer, 2002)

“Wherever in the world a flu pandemic starts, perhaps with its epicentre in the Far East, we must assume we will be unable to prevent it reaching the UK. When it does, its impact will be severe in the number of illnesses and the disruption to everyday life. The steps we are setting out today will help us to reduce the disease's impact on our population.”
(Sir Liam Donaldson, Chief Medical Officer, 1 March 2005)

The World Health Organization predicts that one in four of the UK population could be infected in a bird flu pandemic, resulting in a possible 50,000 deaths.

Economic & Social Disruption

In the time it takes to develop and procure the new vaccine, the following measures would be used to try to buy time and stop the virus spreading:

• Travel between the UK and infected countries restricted and health screening begun at ports
• Infected people asked to go into voluntary isolation and those who had been in contact with them into voluntary quarantine
• Public gatherings such as football matches and concerts restricted, along with movement of people within local areas
• Schools closed
• Infected people, those who had been in contact with them and possibly the general public told to wear face masks.

Once a vaccine was available, it would be administered according to the following priorities:

• 1. Health workers occupationally most at risk
• 2. Key service workers
• 3. Group(s) most vulnerable to illness (this will depend on the strain and will not necessarily include the elderly)
• 4. Enclosed communities, such as residential care homes
• 5. People most likely to transmit the virus, such as children
• 6. General population.

AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

My company has just triggered working from home as a global mandate, so for my site in the UK I will be in on Monday sorting out all the consequences like how to keep labs running and making sure the catering subcontractors are informed.
AMcQ