Day Running Lights - Who uses them?

General Biker Banter
Pentode

Day Running Lights - Who uses them?

Post by Pentode »

Apparently a bit of a contentious issue amongst riders...

So who has them on their 'Storm?

Cheers
Grahame :)
Insufferable halfwit.
MacV2

Re: Day Running Lights - Who uses them?

Post by MacV2 »

They all do...

The little light above the main headlight... Should come on with the ignition.

I have a US import & the dipped is on permanatly.

Personaly I always ride with the lights on... I want to be seen thank you...

Why is it ''a contentious issue amongst riders'' ? Its a safety thing...same as wearing proper kit even in what hot weather we get in summer...

Riding any bike in Tshirt & trainners just cos its warm...nah... I've had gravel rash it fecking hurts...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Pentode

Post by Pentode »

True, there's the "side light" above the headlamp, I suppose I was thinking more of added LED lighting on the bike :)

I said, 'a contentious issue amongst riders'' only because I've a few biking mates who refuse to have them on the grounds that "Other road users should be more responsible and observant rather than us having to spend our money making ourselves more visible"- A view which I personally think is rather short sighted as making yourself visible can only be a good thing.

I always have my lights on, even on a bright day.
Insufferable halfwit.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

"I always have my lights on, even on a bright day."

counter-illumination / Yehudi lights

That was used on aircraft as camouflage - in certain conditions it can hide objects

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yehudi_lights
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Pentode wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:14 pm True, there's the "side light" above the headlamp, I suppose I was thinking more of added LED lighting on the bike :)

I said, 'a contentious issue amongst riders'' only because I've a few biking mates who refuse to have them on the grounds that "Other road users should be more responsible and observant rather than us having to spend our money making ourselves more visible"- A view which I personally think is rather short sighted as making yourself visible can only be a good thing.

I always have my lights on, even on a bright day.
My side light is LED, the std one is a bit pants...

Your quote '' Other road users should be more responsible and observant rather than us having to spend our money making ourselves more visible..'' IMO your mates are twots if thats what they think... :lol: :lol:

Dont get me wrong I wont be wearing a hi vis vest meself but no matter how bright you dress up or you light your bike up there will always be a cager who wont /dosnt see you... The blind tossers pull out on cars & vans as well... :crazy:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Pentode

Post by Pentode »

Wicky wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:27 pm "I always have my lights on, even on a bright day."

That was used on aircraft as camouflage - in certain conditions it can hide objects

Really interesting article, and I had no idea...! Definitely food for thought there 🙂
Insufferable halfwit.
Pentode

Post by Pentode »

MacV2 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:27 pm My side light is LED, the std one is a bit pants...

Your quote '' Other road users should be more responsible and observant rather than us having to spend our money making ourselves more visible..'' IMO your mates are twots if thats what they think... :lol: :lol:

Dont get me wrong I wont be wearing a hi vis vest meself but no matter how bright you dress up or you light your bike up there will always be a cager who wont /dosnt see you... The blind tossers pull out on cars & vans as well... :crazy:
Funnily enough, I'm looking at modding the side light to house a group of 'ultra bright' leds - watch this space!

As for my biking 'mates', yes we've had a few heated arguments believe me. I've also pointed out that claiming the moral high ground can be a bit hollow when you're lying in a hospital bed.....
Insufferable halfwit.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Wicky wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:27 pm "I always have my lights on, even on a bright day."

Yehudi lights round the numberplate might be a nice idea.......
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Pentode

Post by Pentode »

tony.mon wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:09 pm

Yehudi lights round the numberplate might be a nice idea.......
I like your style Sir! 😁
Insufferable halfwit.
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

Pentode wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:14 pm I said, 'a contentious issue amongst riders'' only because I've a few biking mates who refuse to have them on the grounds that "Other road users should be more responsible and observant rather than us having to spend our money making ourselves more visible"- A view which I personally think is rather short sighted as making yourself visible can only be a good thing.
Your biking mates need to wake up and smell the coffee.
A lot of motorists don't concentrate, or observe what's going on around them.
So wether you like it or not, unfortunately we have to allow for this by making ourselves has safe and visable has possible.
Do your biking mates realise that if a driver hits you, and kills you, you won't be here to argue who's fault it was.
Another thing that annoys me with people, is fitting small ridiculous, or flush mount cheap rubbish indicators.
Do you really value looks, fashion over your life, motorist can't see you at the best of times, why would you make the situation any worse.
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

I'm not convinced all this lights on/hi-viz stuff is as effective as people like to think (think Tiger camoflage). It may even give you a false sense of security. A mate of mine was t-boned off his Blood Bike not so long ago. And he was lit up like a hi-viz christmas tree.

My personal philosophy is to assume I am invisible to everyone around me. NEVER assume someone has seen you.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

For a brief period, over 40 years ago now, my mother attempted to teach me to drive. After this short period I took lessons. However the one thing that has stuck with me is the advice that " just because their indicator is on doesn't mean they intend to turn "
I think we all need to ride defensively and assume that others have not noticed us.
As the majority of my time is spent in a car , 40k plus normally, it is all too easy to miss a bike or car especially with modern strengthened window and door pillars. No real excuse but the speed of modern traffic, time pressed people and modern distractions mean we have to believe they have not seen us.
LOUD PIPES I SAY........sorry pardon!!!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

cheekykev wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:29 am
Another thing that annoys me with people, is fitting small ridiculous, or flush mount cheap rubbish indicators.
Do you really value looks, fashion over your life, motorist can't see you at the best of times, why would you make the situation any worse.
Ah, but Kev, smaller means lighter. And that means faster, but it also means less air resistance. And that saves you petrol money; you're not having to push those standard indicator sails through the air. As a Yorkshireman you'll appreciate a saving.......
Less likely to be knocked off going through a gatepost, too.

Lastly, I've spent more money on aftermarket indicators than new standard ones cost. But there's a difference between well designed and bright aftermarket ones and cheap candlepower specials. The taillight integrated ones aren't much use, whenever I tried those I also had separate indicators as well- not least because you can get an MOT that way.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Pentode

Post by Pentode »

The bottom line is, it doesn't matter how visible you make yourself if somebody waiting to pull out of a side turning doesn't actually look then even looking like a supernova won't help you. This happened to me 40 years ago, a guy pulled out right in front of me and I ploughed straight into him earning me a year off work.

He admitted a while after that he hadn't looked my way and shot out to get ahead of a car coming the other way. Of course, I should've anticipated what could happen and been ready for it but I didn't...

Back to making yourself more visible, I think it's a good idea having more lighting but there's still no guarantee you'll be seen. I regard every other road user as a liability which is unfortunate but defensive riding is the way for me.
Insufferable halfwit.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

How to get drivers pay attention Indian style

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts