Front stand upgrade

General Bike chat
TaxiDriver

Front stand upgrade

Post by TaxiDriver »

If you've ever tried using a front paddock stand chances are you know they can be a bit hit and miss.
Armed with my new found welding skills.....and a ten quid welder, I set about converting it like this.....

It now works a lot easier and feels safer than before without gouging out the fork legs....
MacV2

Re: Front stand upgrade

Post by MacV2 »

Nice work but personaly I wouldnt trust that... Theres not a lot there to stop it slipping off...

I'm sure my front stand has rubber on the prongs so doesn't harm the forks...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Pentode

Post by Pentode »

Always good to see someone improving a product. Good stuff! 🙂👍

Just wondering if it would make it even more stable by bending the edges of the metal plates up to partially wrap around the end of the forks?
Insufferable halfwit.
Solarboy

Post by Solarboy »

Those stands are terrible! I have one and have never got it to sit right so gave up with it. As you lift the bike the two pins in the arms that go on the forks rotate back and it ends up on the calliper bracket, dog poo! I’m going to have a go at engineering the hell out of it tomorrow and see how it goes, if I don’t post again you can assume the bike fell off, landed on me and I’m still stuck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If we don't learn from our mistakes we are destin to repeat them
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

I've got these too and that's a great looking mod. The pressure through the forks should keep the cups the right way up and make them less likely to slip. I'll have to give it a try.

I think these are better on radial caliper forks where the mountings are lower and they sit in the.pins better. The similar stands with spikes on the top that locate in the damper rod bolt holes are better I think.
popkat

Post by popkat »

not on firestorms but be careful with these stands on bikes with ABS sensors as they often sit under the calipers on forks with radial calipers.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Many years ago I made my own front stand based on the two pins model as TaxiDriver has above. Knowing what I know now I probably would have taken a different route. I found the fork legs very easy to slip out of the two pins, you had to watch very closely (both sides) as you lifted the bike up on the stand, sometimes even moving the position of the fork legs in the stand while holding the stand part elevated which was not easy. So I can see why TaxiDriver has modified his :clap:

Not happy with that I modified mine so that the fork legs cannot jump out. Okay it means this stand will only work with forks the same dimensions as the Firestorm/Superhawk fork bottoms are, but that is fine for me.

I used angle iron for this modification welded it in position. I have an inner tube cut and fix in place with insulation tape to protect the paintwork on the fork legs.

It doesn't look the prettiest in the photo's I know, but it shows you what I have done.
DSCF2286.jpg
DSCF2282.jpg
DSCF2283.jpg
Chris.
Solarboy

Post by Solarboy »

That’s a nice mod Chris! I don’t know why they don’t sell them with a couple of different slip on cups or pins to suit different forks? It would be that hard to come up with some different designs and sell them with the stand. I know it would be a few more £’s but at least you don’t think your going to wreck you bike everyone you use the ruddy thing!

If we don't learn from our mistakes we are destin to repeat them
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Solarboy wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:07 pm That’s a nice mod Chris! I don’t know why they don’t sell them with a couple of different slip on cups or pins to suit different forks? It would be that hard to come up with some different designs and sell them with the stand. I know it would be a few more £’s but at least you don’t think your going to wreck you bike everyone you use the ruddy thing!

Thanks Solarboy :)
A good suggestion that :thumbup:
What you just said has given me an idea, if I ever need the stand to fit another make of bike I can knock up some new cups :D

Chris.
Beef

Post by Beef »

Why are front paddock stands so sh1t?!!
I have the fork type and the one that fits into the bottom yoke - that one is brilliant.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Beef wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:24 am Why are front paddock stands so sh1t?!!
I have the fork type and the one that fits into the bottom yoke - that one is brilliant.
I have both too and the one that fits the yolk is great, just bulky. Better for working on the front end whereas the other type are good just for tyre warmers.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

My favourite solution has always been fitting r and g fork bottom protectors and using them as bobbins.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

tony.mon wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:05 am My favourite solution has always been fitting r and g fork bottom protectors and using them as bobbins.
Now that is a good idea..... :clap:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Only for lifting the wheel clear of the ground, obviously you can't remove the spindle using bobbins on a shaft through the middle of the spindle.

Great for servicing calipers, though.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.