Powdercoating wheels

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
nigelrb

Re: Powdercoating wheels

Post by nigelrb »

sirch345 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:41 pm
Shauned71 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:03 am Have had a couple storms with part polished wheels.. pita! If I was going for that effect again then i'd have the wheels powdercoated in a nice bright silver and then paint the centres black.
I do like the look of polished wheel rims like nigelrb's above though.

Chris.
Yeah, I just HAD to have a set. Was fortunate to score them from our friend StuartWags. Four hour round trip to collect 8) .

I don't mind the upkeep; it's not overly labour intensive and unless on crap roads they do stay good.
bertye

Post by bertye »

Hi, a tip for all exposed polished metal parts that old cleaner lady's have been using for yonk's on Brass door knockers ect. 1st polish them rub a candle on it and the rub in. Stops the air getting at the surface, so stays good for much longer. I do it on all my polished Ally parts on all my bikes.
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

bertye wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:30 pm . . . 1st polish them rub a candle on it and the rub in. . .
Damn. I've just been admonished for 'stealing' 3 candles from my wife's bedside drawer. :(
Wilky811

Post by Wilky811 »

Has anyone got pics they can post of painted/powder coated wheels on their 'Storm? Particularly those with polished rims
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

nigelrb wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:40 pm
sirch345 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:41 pm
Shauned71 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:03 am Have had a couple storms with part polished wheels.. pita! If I was going for that effect again then i'd have the wheels powdercoated in a nice bright silver and then paint the centres black.
I do like the look of polished wheel rims like nigelrb's above though.

Chris.
Yeah, I just HAD to have a set. Was fortunate to score them from our friend StuartWags. Four hour round trip to collect 8) .

I don't mind the upkeep; it's not overly labour intensive and unless on crap roads they do stay good.
If you keep on top of them by not letting the shine disappear, and drying them off should they get wet then yes I agree it's not too bad to keep them looking good.

However after owning old British bikes over the years when polished alloy casings (and every other alloy part :lol: ) were all the rage, I will say I found the alloy casings etc to be better quality,

Chris.
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

^^^

Fair point about the older alloy.

A good metallurgist would probably define the British and USA alloy mixes as far superior to the Japanese compromise for price. This is just my feeling; I have no complaints about my various Honda parts, but I'd see this as the declining quality of everything from farm produce to marriage vows! 8O
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

nigelrb wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:21 pm ^^^

Fair point about the older alloy.

A good metallurgist would probably define the British and USA alloy mixes as far superior to the Japanese compromise for price. This is just my feeling; I have no complaints about my various Honda parts, but I'd see this as the declining quality of everything from farm produce to marriage vows! 8O
Depends how you wish to define quality.
Fit of purpose and able to cover huge miles with relatively little money spent, or ? People on here have Firestorms with mileage over 50k and still going strong.
Marriage vows now that's a different ball game. Don't forget we are all living longer. In the past it was not uncommon to have people pop off at a relatively young age. Women especially in child birth. Therefore people moved on or not. Also economic independence and the right to earn a living has allowed women to move on from marriages that are broken.
F@@k me that's almost serious for me and it's not even 11.00 am
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

Richard wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:29 am
F@@k me that's almost serious for me and it's not even 11.00 am
Good to know. I'll store that in my memory banks and come up with some REAL HEAVY sh!t one early morning!! 8)
popkat

Post by popkat »

I helped a friend out a few years ago and we had a lot of stuff done by this place, they do lots of options and the chrome powder coat comes out like polished alloy, also easy to keep clean, the bike we did was an MV F4 1000 in a rare blue/silver option, we had frame sides and swingarm done in the chrome and If i remember right the wheels were 2 colour with the rims being chrome/polished effect, all powder coat, what with a few tasteful anodised parts and lots of titanium stuff it was and still is one of the most stunning Modern style MV's I've seen,
We did this about 10 years ago and the company are still going, the bike still looks great so they seem to do a top job.

I know it's not exactly north west being in great Yarmouth but worth posting the wheels for the finish your after, give them a call see if they can do it.

https://www.aerocoat.co.uk/

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Wilky811

Post by Wilky811 »

I've checked this place out. Some fantastic finishes.