Daft sod That I am

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
zzr600e1

Daft sod That I am

Post by zzr600e1 »

Tried to set off with my disc lock still on this morning, thought sh1t, took it off and then set off down my street towards the junction when suddendly when applying the brake there was nothing, straight to the bar the lever went, naturally shitting myself on the prospect of the oncoming wall i managed to pull clutch in, rear brake on and just managed to stop the eneviatable. Pumping the brake lever brings full braking power back, but move about 10ft and nothing again. The rotor doesn't look any different so I'm taking the caliper off to see wether the pads have moved, but if it is the rotor thats knackered it must be one hell of a warp in it. Security is fine but if a lapse of concentration causes me to fork out £100+ everytime I forget to take it off then I just won't bother

Andy
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Sounds like it's warped.

I done the same last year and put a nice big kink in the rotor, hasnt seemed to have affected the brakes so i'm just gonna leave it that way till i find a cheepo rotor.
Rich.

zzr600e1

Post by zzr600e1 »

well the rotor carrier is abit bent lol, so even though the disc may not be warped the carrier is throwing it out so much that the pads can't bite onto the disc and so they just won't hold grrrr, looks like new rotor time. The thing that pisses me off the most is that my zzr has a puncture on the front and one of the pinch bolts is fooked, so i need a new front tyre for the zzr and a new front right rotor and disk for the firestorm.

Sometimes I wonder if it's all worth the hassle :cry:
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

STOP!!!
Before you fork out loads of wonga on a new carrier

It is quite possible to true up the carrier and for very little money

Depending on whereabouts in the country you are there's a guy called Dave East engineering based in Enderby nr Leicester
The Old Dairy, George St, Enderby, Leicester, Leicestershire LE19 4NQ
Tel: 0116 284 8296

Sorted out a bent wheel (£30) and a bent disk carrier (£15) for me last year

Also motoliner in kent somewhere are recommended in the race paddock

Worth a phone call

Ben
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
zzr600e1

Post by zzr600e1 »

cheers ben, i'll give him a ring now, only probs is i don't have a paddock stand, but i suppose i can prop it on bricks til the carrier is off then put the wheel back on.

Andy
zzr600e1

Post by zzr600e1 »

zzr600e1 wrote:cheers ben, i'll give him a ring now, only probs is i don't have a paddock stand, but i suppose i can prop it on bricks til the carrier is off then put the wheel back on.

Andy

Ben, just spoke to Dave, £15 for straightening the carrier and £5 each way p&p so bargain, thanks very much for that
zzr600e1

Post by zzr600e1 »

disc is off and boxed up ready to go :)

Andy
craigybaby

Post by craigybaby »

hey geezer

i worry about driving off with my disc lock on.

i've done a sticky label saying "disc lock?" which ive stuck on the yoke in line with the ignition key.

Also, busters do a reminder cable which attachs to the bike's handlebars and the disc lock to err... remind you that there's a disc lock :) (it costs about £2.50 - bit cheaper than a bent disc.
Have you noticed when you're riding that everyone going slower than you is an idiot and everyone going faster than you is a maniac?
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

I use a bit of cable sleeve, keep it on the disc lock key normally, transfer it to ignition key when disc lock is on.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Gavin wrote:I use a bit of cable sleeve, keep it on the disc lock key normally, transfer it to ignition key when disc lock is on.
That's a good idea Gavin :!:
zzr600e1

Post by zzr600e1 »

I too had a cable to remind me but couldn't be arsed fitting it, now I wish I had lol, anyway you live and learn
zzr600e1

Post by zzr600e1 »

Phoned Dave up to day and the disk is a gonner, so £100 I have to spend now on a new disk, bah humbug