VTR cam chain tensioners

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: VTR cam chain tensioners

Post by sirch345 »

Impressive Guys, great to hear in this day and age,

Chris.
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

northmanuk wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:49 pm it was very helpful to talk to shaun hes very knowledgeable and the craic was good thanks once again to you shaun and mac top men
tomorrow im going to try to put something wise on the bottom of my page

hey mister does pi;;ing on the lemon tree make the lemons grow better

no but it sure pi;;es yor ma off (fastest indian)
You are more than welcome. I have in the past had lots of help and advice from these forums and/or the members I have met from here. Don't have many mates with bikes plus not many storms my way so it makes a change that I can pass it forward sort of thing and help someone and/or pass on some of the knowledge I have gained from here.
gilson

Post by gilson »

MacV2 wrote:
gilson wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:03 pm
Once again this post shows what a caring and helpful bunch of people we are. Heart warming to read.
You can pish off you groveling toad ! Image Image

Only joshing ya Gilson... happy to help, glad Law & Shaun can get together & sort it out...

As for the honda tech...Typical be happy to charge you £400 parts & labour to fit a known 'fragile' componant & then rape you silly with parts & labour all over again when the motor sh1t's itself...

Done 1000s of miles on manuals with no damage to my engine...Repatedly falling off it ...? well thats diffrent Image Image Image
No bike (yet).
northmanuk

Post by northmanuk »

well i mended cylinder head and refitted it put in first manual cct bought split flange of mac for exhaust (which does not fit due too re-drilling of exhaust studs) refitted the cam cover,took of generator cover to fit new generator so not6 doing so bad in the middle of it my boarder collie died
at least rear cttt will bee easy then i have to do
oil cooler
radiators
carbs
airbox
fit all pipes
finish fitting new down pipes

clean her
then have ablast to see if i did jobs right fingers crossedtr0 :wtf:
hey mister does pi--ing on the lemon tree make em grow better

no kid but it sure makes your ma mad (fastest indian) :crazy:
i always wanted to ride a v twin now i got one i still cant :D
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

northmanuk wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:10 pm well i mended cylinder head and refitted it put in first manual cct bought split flange of mac for exhaust (which does not fit due too re-drilling of exhaust studs) refitted the cam cover,took of generator cover to fit new generator so not6 doing so bad in the middle of it my boarder collie died
at least rear cttt will bee easy then i have to do
oil cooler
radiators
carbs
airbox
fit all pipes
finish fitting new down pipes

clean her
then have ablast to see if i did jobs right fingers crossedtr0 :wtf:
It sounds like you're making progress, so well done :thumbup:
Sorry to hear your boarder collie died,

Chris.
northmanuk

Post by northmanuk »

thanks chris i also took of a brand new hugger and front mudguard extender i think she loooks better for it and i never ride in wet i have to find a nice chainguard but at last work to do is improvements not repair :)
hey mister does pi--ing on the lemon tree make em grow better

no kid but it sure makes your ma mad (fastest indian) :crazy:
i always wanted to ride a v twin now i got one i still cant :D
RodneyT

Post by RodneyT »

Well, I decided I needed to do the CCT mods while I was replacing the clutch in the off season and discovered, to my horror, I had forgotten to put the little steel caps on the new CCTS I put in the bike last year prior to racing it.
This made the calculation of the length of the rod to go into the CCT a bit tricky as the rubber cap was a bit squished but the final length I calculated was within the range quoted in the detailed instructions i got from this forum. Also got a mate to check my logic and he came up with the same length. In the end. I had to use the whole rubber cap/steel cover from the old CCTs as the rubber was too squashed to use get the steel caps on properly. Felt like a proper numpty when I discovered that!

Also discovered that the front inlet cam must have jumped a tooth as the FI mark on the cam sprocket didn't line up with the top of the head at TDC.
I think I'm very lucky I didn't do any damage. What amazed me was the bike ran very well, despite the valve timing being out by a tooth.
Anyway, mods done and CCTs back in and, more importantly, the motor turns over without any undue noises or sounds of a tight chain, although i have to turn it over using the back wheel with it in gear as the cap in the centre of the the alternator cover won't budge. I had previously tried a rattle gun to remove it and it promptly stripped the hex hole in the cap into a nice round circular hole! At least i could get the front cap out to find TDC.

I was going to leave out the plastic cover/tray that goes between the valve cover and underneath the carbs. Does anyone know if doing this would make any difference in air flow to the radiators? It runs at about 90-100degC during a race (ambient is about 35degC here) and used to run about 5deg cooler when running it on the road.

I'd be grateful for any advice re leaving out the cover
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

RodneyT wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:51 pm

I was going to leave out the plastic cover/tray that goes between the valve cover and underneath the carbs. Does anyone know if doing this would make any difference in air flow to the radiators? It runs at about 90-100degC during a race (ambient is about 35degC here) and used to run about 5deg cooler when running it on the road.

I'd be grateful for any advice re leaving out the cover
That plastic bit has nothing to do with cooling and everything to do with how air enters the airbox. So removing it will not make the bike run cooler.....it will just make it run like shite...... :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
RodneyT

Post by RodneyT »

Many Thanks for the advice.
I'd better put it back, then. A pity 'cos it's a pain getting it in and out.
That's why we love working on them :D :D
mjvw

Post by mjvw »

Started doing cct’s after reading the excellent guide on site, started with rear set to TDC, as precaution tie gripped cam chain to cam sprocket as advised locked rear cct off using key provide, getting the cap of old cct to insert key to lock adjuster was chew and access to the two cct bolts was tight.
Now all loose but have stopped for the night as getting cold in the VTR cave the ccts purchased don’t have the rounded end are they ok?
Thanks in advance
Storming About :thumbup:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

With those you can't fit the old caps from you standard ones.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
mjvw

Post by mjvw »

tony.mon wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:24 pm With those you can't fit the old caps from you standard ones.
Thank you ' :thumbup: so fit as is?
Sorry if this sounds like as a stupid question nice to have a forum to turn to for advice.
mjvw

Post by mjvw »

Just found this post answered a lot of questions regarding this style of cct.
viewtopic.php?t=39627&start=45
acrmnsm

Post by acrmnsm »

mjvw wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:02 pm Started doing cct’s after reading the excellent guide on site, started with rear set to TDC, as precaution tie gripped cam chain to cam sprocket as advised locked rear cct off using key provide, getting the cap of old cct to insert key to lock adjuster was chew and access to the two cct bolts was tight.
Now all loose but have stopped for the night as getting cold in the VTR cave the ccts purchased don’t have the rounded end are they ok?
Thanks in advance
To be fair they look nice - where di you get them? I need to do mine. Bike is languishing in the shed and needs some love.
mjvw

Post by mjvw »