Dilemma - keep the storm?

General Bike chat
gsh

Re: Dilemma - keep the storm?

Post by gsh »

The timing of the thread revival is apt.
Although I haven't progressed any further, I'm now at a crunch point.
Bike was MOT'd a couple of weeks ago and I noticed it still wasn't running great, even though I had the clamps/gaskets changed during the service.
Still got the hanging at overrun/off throttle at 3-2.5k rpm. On the service the mechanic said it was probably old fuel gumming things up and stuck some treatment stuff in the tank. I've run through that tank of fuel and it hasn't helped.
I'm assuming the whole fuelling system/carbs need a good fettle to get it running right again. It's been left sat for years with only the odd blat around so prime candidate for blocked jets etc.
The place I got it MOTd didn't seem overly enthusiastic about taking it on. Neither did the place I had it serviced.
I have no idea who I could trust to take it to around here (Essex/London). Seems that not many places are familiar with carbs these days.

So now I'm thinking about an SV650. I know, right?
I was worrying the Desert Sled would feel underpowered but the SV is the same horsepower but lighter. I'd drop a few more KG with a can change, tail tidy and removing passenger pegs. Might even go on a diet!
For an around town/weekend warrior bike, it looks like it may be a contender.
I'm going to have a test ride in the next week or so. If it ticks the right boxes, I guess I'll either p/ex the storm or sell to We Buy Any Bike.

My ideal scenario is still getting the VTR spruced up, putting some bars on and ditching the fairing for a naked/retro look. Have some covers made for the rads, single round headlight etc.
However practically speaking it may be better to bite the bullet and buy a new bike and on paper the SV looks to be a contender.

I just wish Honda had kept the storm going in some form.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

We buy any bike will prob offer you a couple of hundred quid at best.

Take the carbs off & get them cleaned properly.

On here Jonesey will do them he's in Essex.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
zakisbak

Post by zakisbak »

Better the devil you know?

Now that Guyvers (N4) is gone,I reckon Burwins,Essex Road is recommended.
Re the rough running,I'm pretty certain what he'd say "Put E10 in it and run it for at least 200 miles"
gilson

Post by gilson »

gsh wrote:The timing of the thread revival is apt.
Although I haven't progressed any further, I'm now at a crunch point.
Bike was MOT'd a couple of weeks ago and I noticed it still wasn't running great, even though I had the clamps/gaskets changed during the service.
Still got the hanging at overrun/off throttle at 3-2.5k rpm. On the service the mechanic said it was probably old fuel gumming things up and stuck some treatment stuff in the tank. I've run through that tank of fuel and it hasn't helped.
I'm assuming the whole fuelling system/carbs need a good fettle to get it running right again. It's been left sat for years with only the odd blat around so prime candidate for blocked jets etc.
The place I got it MOTd didn't seem overly enthusiastic about taking it on. Neither did the place I had it serviced.
I have no idea who I could trust to take it to around here (Essex/London). Seems that not many places are familiar with carbs these days.

So now I'm thinking about an SV650. I know, right?
I was worrying the Desert Sled would feel underpowered but the SV is the same horsepower but lighter. I'd drop a few more KG with a can change, tail tidy and removing passenger pegs. Might even go on a diet!
For an around town/weekend warrior bike, it looks like it may be a contender.
I'm going to have a test ride in the next week or so. If it ticks the right boxes, I guess I'll either p/ex the storm or sell to We Buy Any Bike.

My ideal scenario is still getting the VTR spruced up, putting some bars on and ditching the fairing for a naked/retro look. Have some covers made for the rads, single round headlight etc.
However practically speaking it may be better to bite the bullet and buy a new bike and on paper the SV looks to be a contender.

I just wish Honda had kept the storm going in some form.
I recently rode several laps around Brands and Snetterton on my friend's SV650. It's a very capable bike and I didn't think it felt much different to my standard engine VTR. The SV runs out of puff a little sooner but it still has the V twin character and as it's smaller and lighter, it still feels fast. I really enjoyed it.
No bike (yet).