Another new hello

General Bike chat
MrMastodon

Another new hello

Post by MrMastodon »

Hello VTR people,

Bought my lovely 00 VTR (8K miles and just had 8K service) a few weeks ago and been lurking here picking up a few snippets for, erm, a few weeks. Thought it was about time I said hello.

'Hello'

A few comments on the bike, that you might be kind enough to comment on:

1) I love the VTR. Not had a Honda since my CBX550/VTR250/CB550/CB250N etc days and the VTR has more 'character' than I expected. I really am very attached to it and often find myself just staring at it!

2) Engine feels a bit flat and unresponsive. My old TDM850 (with Laser Prostock cans), whilst certainly down on power was much snappier and responsive and seemed to have much more low down punch. And my old GSXR600 obviously had a more 'rewarding' top end. Is the TDM comparison what you 'd all expect or is my 'storm substandard? Will some cans and a dyno session make a significant difference?

3) It vibrates like a shakey thing, and gets more vibratey as revs rise. Is this normal? Difficult to quantify I know - but def much more vibey than the TDM.

4) It rattles and clunks and 1 to 2 shift always clunks. I gather this is normal.

5) Doesn't seem too stable at speed and accelerating hard. The front wobbles side to side a lot. Not in same league as GSXR. The front tyre (D204) is quite worn - will a new tyre sort it? (notwithstanding know suspect front end - got Performance Berks recommended settings)

6) Done the TPS thing and got it to about 580R (was 880R originally) and not sure it's helped. I think it pulls cleaner from very low revs now. But I might be fooling myself. Is it worth getting down to 500R?

I know that lot sounds a bit negative, but I do really love my new VTR! Any thoughts and ramblings on above points would be very welcome!

Also, if anyone is around the Cambridge area - perhaps you could have a little blast on my VTR and see if it's normal?
craigybaby

Post by craigybaby »

hey geezer

good effort

see my post about vibration. I know what you mean about difficult to quantify.
Have you noticed when you're riding that everyone going slower than you is an idiot and everyone going faster than you is a maniac?
cupasoop
Site Admin

Re: Another new hello

Post by cupasoop »

MrMastodon wrote: 1) I really am very attached to it and often find myself just staring at it!

2) Engine feels a bit flat and unresponsive. My old TDM850 (with Laser Prostock cans), whilst certainly down on power was much snappier and responsive and seemed to have much more low down punch. And my old GSXR600 obviously had a more 'rewarding' top end. Is the TDM comparison what you 'd all expect or is my 'storm substandard? Will some cans and a dyno session make a significant difference?

3) It vibrates like a shakey thing, and gets more vibratey as revs rise. Is this normal? Difficult to quantify I know - but def much more vibey than the TDM.

4) It rattles and clunks and 1 to 2 shift always clunks. I gather this is normal.

5) Doesn't seem too stable at speed and accelerating hard. The front wobbles side to side a lot. Not in same league as GSXR. The front tyre (D204) is quite worn - will a new tyre sort it? (notwithstanding know suspect front end - got Performance Berks recommended settings)

6) Done the TPS thing and got it to about 580R (was 880R originally) and not sure it's helped. I think it pulls cleaner from very low revs now. But I might be fooling myself. Is it worth getting down to 500R?

I know that lot sounds a bit negative, but I do really love my new VTR! Any thoughts and ramblings on above points would be very welcome!

Also, if anyone is around the Cambridge area - perhaps you could have a little blast on my VTR and see if it's normal?
Hello, welcome aboard.

1) Pervert
2)Yes, decent exhausts will make it breath more easily and make it feel much snappier. I'd recommend scorpion race pipes. Sound brilliant and no re-jetting required (and I just happen to have a set lying in my garage un-needed) :roll:
3) Yes, twins vibrate a bit more than everything else.
4) Your lucky only getting a rattle and a clunk, mine sounded like the engin fell out changing from first to second. Check your chain is adjusted and change up to second earlier and let the torque speed you up. There isnt really any point to reving the butt off it in first(and it makes the gear change noiser).
5) Worn tyres wont help. If your using PB's settings make sure you've done the rear as well.
6) Eh??????????
Last edited by cupasoop on Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rich.

craigybaby

Post by craigybaby »

1) I really am very attached to it and often find myself just staring at it!

1.. I'm really attached to mine too. I'm so gutted Honda have stopped making them.

2. my bike is totally standard - ridden by two old duffers previously (apologies to any old duffers here) Another VTR rider has ridden mine and says its a bit down on power so it's at the garage being examined at the moment. Looking to change the exhausts for some Scorpions (every1 seems to recommend them) but funds are a bit low with moving house etc

3. You know what I think about vibrations.

4. It does an enormous clunk from 1st to 2nd, but I think its quite endearing - part of the character of the beast.

5. I thought my storms handling was a bit vague but some new boots on it and a fiddle wiht the front forks and it sticks to the road like s*** to a blanket. :D
Have you noticed when you're riding that everyone going slower than you is an idiot and everyone going faster than you is a maniac?
eric 49

Post by eric 49 »

HI
I bought my storm in april(11K miles) and i absolutey love it.

2) flat and unresponsive? my storm is standard and it goes like poop off a shovel, pulls well from low revs and over 6 thou it goes like a rocket.

3) it does vibrate a good bit more than an IL4,i used to get numb fingers ive got used to now ,i found that not holding the bars so tight worked for me.

4)mine is clunky from 1 to 2 but i found that the type of oil i used made a differance.when i first got the storm it was very clunky,changed the oil to halfords 10/40 semi and it got much worse! then put some silkoline synthetic oil in and that made a big improvement still a little clunky but much better than it was.

5)mine had d208`s on when i bought it and thay were rubbish.had a pair of pilot powers fitted 3 weeks ago and wow what a differance!!!

6)whats the TPS thing?

i live in Rushden which is not very far away from cambridge ,ime round the godmanchester area quite a bit just up tha A14
Max

Post by Max »

The TPS is the Throttle Position Sensor you ban move it and change the resistance of it.

There used to be a thingy on this page of Gregs but its moved

http://home.nycap.rr.com/ghlbo/index.html
Max

Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Just as well it's gone Max
it's a myth gone wrong.
The TPS (as Max rightly said) adjusts the timing electronically slightly depending on the position of the throttle.
The problem with the right ups is they have the decimal point in the wrong place and if you set it for 5oo ohms your tickover will improve but the timing will be retarded and you will in effect have less power and slower pick up.
Try setting it between 4.8K to 5.2K and I think you'll be a bit happier

Pete.l
MrMastodon

!!

Post by MrMastodon »

Pete.L wrote:Just as well it's gone Max
it's a myth gone wrong.
The TPS (as Max rightly said) adjusts the timing electronically slightly depending on the position of the throttle.
The problem with the right ups is they have the decimal point in the wrong place and if you set it for 5oo ohms your tickover will improve but the timing will be retarded and you will in effect have less power and slower pick up.

Pete.l
:?
Erm, don't want to start off all controversial like, but Pete.L - where did you get that from??!! :wink:

I got the info from the genuine Honda service manual (downloadable somewhere in pdf)! The 490 - 510 ohms (from memory...) is specified when setting it up. I can point to the relevent page if necessary.

Oh, hello Pete.L :D
MrMastodon

Re: Another new hello

Post by MrMastodon »

cupasoop wrote:
Hello, welcome aboard.

1) Pervert
2)Yes, decent exhausts will make it breath more easily and make it feel much snappier. I'd recommend scorpion race pipes. Sound brilliant and no re-jetting required (and I just happen to have a set lying in my garage un-needed) :roll:
3) Yes, twins vibrate a bit more than everything else.
4) Your lucky only getting a rattle and a clunk, mine sounded like the engin fell out changing from first to second. Check your chain is adjusted and change up to second earlier and let the torque speed you up. There isnt really any point to reving the butt off it in first(and it makes the gear change noiser).
5) Worn tyres wont help. If your using PB's settings make sure you've done the rear as well.
6) Eh??????????
1) Indeed!!

2) Aah! Would you be perhaps interested in exchanging these lovely items for a small amount of cash?

3) Yes, but the TDM was twin (parallel, 270deg crank) and didn't vibrate nearly so much

4) True

5) Indeed - new tyres asap! I seem to remember the PB rear preload being left as stock - I might double check this.

6) Throttle Position Sensor - see above...

Cheers and Hello!
MrMastodon

Post by MrMastodon »

craigybaby wrote: 1.. I'm really attached to mine too. I'm so gutted Honda have stopped making them.

2. my bike is totally standard - ridden by two old duffers previously (apologies to any old duffers here) Another VTR rider has ridden mine and says its a bit down on power so it's at the garage being examined at the moment. Looking to change the exhausts for some Scorpions (every1 seems to recommend them) but funds are a bit low with moving house etc

3. You know what I think about vibrations.

4. It does an enormous clunk from 1st to 2nd, but I think its quite endearing - part of the character of the beast.

5. I thought my storms handling was a bit vague but some new boots on it and a fiddle wiht the front forks and it sticks to the road like s*** to a blanket. :D
Hello!

1) Yes, I'm surprised there's not a new model. It seems the market is heading back to the inline fours.

2) It'd be interesting to have another VTR rider ride my beauty (??!!) and see how it is. Cans coming when funds/SWMBO allow.

3) Yup!

4) Indeed!

5) Yup, new tyres coming before I bin it!
MrMastodon

Post by MrMastodon »

eric 49 wrote:HI
I bought my storm in april(11K miles) and i absolutey love it.

2) flat and unresponsive? my storm is standard and it goes like poop off a shovel, pulls well from low revs and over 6 thou it goes like a rocket.

3) it does vibrate a good bit more than an IL4,i used to get numb fingers ive got used to now ,i found that not holding the bars so tight worked for me.

4)mine is clunky from 1 to 2 but i found that the type of oil i used made a differance.when i first got the storm it was very clunky,changed the oil to halfords 10/40 semi and it got much worse! then put some silkoline synthetic oil in and that made a big improvement still a little clunky but much better than it was.

5)mine had d208`s on when i bought it and thay were rubbish.had a pair of pilot powers fitted 3 weeks ago and wow what a differance!!!

6)whats the TPS thing?

i live in Rushden which is not very far away from cambridge ,ime round the godmanchester area quite a bit just up tha A14
2) Wanna swap??!!

3) Yeah - I found straight roads better whensetting upright with the precious bits pressed right up to the tank.

4) Thats good to know - will bear it in mind next service

5) Quite liked D207s in the past. Rennsports my fave on GSXR. Will look into Pilot Powers

Rushden sounds familiar - 'praps we could sort out a time for you to have a test ride?

Cheers!
MrMastodon

Post by MrMastodon »

it's a myth gone wrong.

Pete.l
Just checked the manual in case I was being a fool!

Page 17-10 states: "Adjust the throttle sensor position so that the resistance between points A and B is 490 - 510ohms"

Hope this clears up the myth-myth status of this setting!
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

MrMastodon wrote:
it's a myth gone wrong.

Pete.l
Just checked the manual in case I was being a fool!

Page 17-10 states: "Adjust the throttle sensor position so that the resistance between points A and B is 490 - 510ohms"

Hope this clears up the myth-myth status of this setting!
yep I agree.
It even quotes that in the Haynes book of lies :D
I've only ever measured 3 different ones and they were all around the 4.8 K mark.
First I thought I was measuring it wrong but when the other two were like it and I started hearing stories of people bending the little spiggot it reseses into so they could get the right 500 ohm setting bells started to ring.
Try yours and see, I'll be interested to know. I'd advise either marking or measuring the original setting so you can go back to it if your not happy with the results though.

Pete.l
MrMastodon

Post by MrMastodon »

[quote="Pete.L
yep I agree.
It even quotes that in the Haynes book of lies :D
I've only ever measured 3 different ones and they were all around the 4.8 K mark.
First I thought I was measuring it wrong but when the other two were like it and I started hearing stories of people bending the little spiggot it reseses into so they could get the right 500 ohm setting bells started to ring.
Try yours and see, I'll be interested to know. I'd advise either marking or measuring the original setting so you can go back to it if your not happy with the results though.

Pete.l[/quote]

Cool. Mine was 800 odd as set by the factory. I could get it down to 500 or so before running out of adjustment. It does seem very odd that Honda would have slipped up here, but it looks that way.

I've not given this any thought, but perhaps the 500ohms is the wiper of the pot and the 4k8 is the resistance across the pot? I might load up the manual and have a look.

I think I notice a difference - but I might be fooling myself with my placebo tinkering. I'm the type that is convinced the bike is smoother and faster for giving it a good wash.

The thing that struck me after setting the TPS to 500odd ohms was it seems able to pull from lower revs - before it shook itself to bits trying to accelerate from under 2500rpm, but post tinkering it seems to be happy down to 2000rpm or under. I think.

I heard rumours of fuel consumption, but it hasn't help mine.
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

I Shouldn't worry too much if the bike is running smoother.
Another advantage of having the timing slightly retarded is it's less likely to do the dreaded "Pop stall" at the traffic lights just as they switch to green. :oops: you might be loosing a little HP but we,re only talking of a 1 or 2 HP difference across the range.
Find a setting that's good and leave it there I recon :wink:

Pete.l