954 triple swap bearing/locknut query

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Twitchy

954 triple swap bearing/locknut query

Post by Twitchy »

I have posted on the SH forum, but thought someone here may also be able to assist. I am FINALLY doing my fork swap (954 triple, SP1 forks fondled by Sir Ditchfield). On SH, CruxGNZ observed (after his install) the All Balls kit comes with extra washers in the lower bearing kit. The washers are installed first, which lowers the triple down so the steering stops don't need to be ground as they clear the fairing stay.

BUT... once installing the upper bearing, there is now no thread left above the first castellated nut. So it is not possible to install the tab washer (lock washer), and lock nut. Note these are the nuts installed before installing the top bridge. I am concerned about not being able to include the secondary lock nut, but I suppose there is the top bridge preventing anything from getting too loose. My million dollar question is... has anyone else come across this issue? What was your solution?

TIA
06 VTR1000F; bits by Jack Flash, Erik Marquez & Jamie Daugherty. SP/954 front and SP2 rear in the works.
Build thread; http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=36638
carbonxr

Re: 954 triple swap bearing/locknut query

Post by carbonxr »

Did you ever get this problem sorted?
Twitchy

Re: 954 triple swap bearing/locknut query

Post by Twitchy »

Hi carbonxr, sorry for the late reply. With the All Balls kit, the 2 large washers are slightly different thicknesses. I ended up installing only the thicker one. I also had the stem pressed out of the lower triple, had I think 3.5 - 4mm machined off the step so the stem sat a bit higher, allowing the top nut to go on.
06 VTR1000F; bits by Jack Flash, Erik Marquez & Jamie Daugherty. SP/954 front and SP2 rear in the works.
Build thread; http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=36638