A bit of advice from you with SP1s

General Bike chat
tattie

A bit of advice from you with SP1s

Post by tattie »

I have had an 03 SP1 sitting in my pals garage for just over 6 years (bit of an outdoor barn find!!! :roll: and those of you that know me from old will remember me getting it and pics on here somewhere) I will be at the stage soon when I will make a start on getting a few bits stripped off it and new bits on.
I've been out of the loop with things bike wise for 6 + years.

I've got an immaculate Wilbers rear shock and immaculate forks with Wilbers internals (originals were straight but had a bit of pitting)

1, I'm looking for thoughts on decent chain and sprockets (my last SP had 2 teeth up on the back sprocket and I liked that, not really interested in the chin on the tank top speed, just the acceleration and drive.

2, The best braided lines that will fit without altering and pissing about, as the originals will be shot.
3, pads.
4, Tyres as well
All bearings will be replaced and the usual recommissioning stuff.

Also have a Scott steering damper but may go for a traditional arm type, have Blue Flame oval cans but think I will just keep the originals on it.

All thoughts will be appreciated.

I'm knocking on a bit now and although I love the torque and sound of the SP, it may be a bit much for an ageing chap with hip, knee and shoulder niggles, and at times the last while I have been looking at Africa Twins, KTM's and Triumphs.

Cheers

Allan
Common sense ain't all that common!
MacV2

Re: A bit of advice from you with SP1s

Post by MacV2 »

Hi ya Tattie.
1, C&S kit from DID, JT, https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... acat=10063
2, The best braided lines that will fit without altering and pissing about, as the originals will be shot. Hell lines will do you a kit to fit.
3, pads. Go SBS pads, by far the best I've ever used...Look for Simmiperformance on ebay, had great service from them... https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/simmiperformance
4, Tyres as well... Oooh personal prefrence, out & out sticky short life Pirrelli, Mich road 5 longer life,
All bearings will be replaced and the usual recommissioning stuff. Buy from a local bearing factor, as good if not better but deff cheaper than something with Honda on the bag/box.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Hi Ya Tattie
I’ll second Mac’s advice.
EBC pads work just as well on the SP. Either will suit you well with one finger braking.
Hyperpro springs in the front is a brilliant upgrade if you want to go that far and not spend much money.

Good to hear from you again. Good luck with getting the old girl back on the road. Don’t worry, the ache’s and pains will slowly drift away once you’re back on the open road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

Best advice I can give is get a CNC top yoke and some low Renthals,I've got your complaints and more and this is probably the only reason I am still riding today............. :thumbup:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

TaxiDriver wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:31 am Best advice I can give is get a CNC top yoke and some low Renthals,I've got your complaints and more and this is probably the only reason I am still riding today............. :thumbup:
NOT on a SP 8O

How to ruin a HRC masterpeice... :lol: :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You won't need lower bars than standard, I had three sets on my SP2 before I could see up enough at traffic lights- that low racing position meant I had a sore neck every ride before I changed them.
Tyres?
I liked Dunlop Sportsmarts, more grip than you need, even in the wet. They are on 3 now.

If you end up fitting slightly higher bars (I raised mine by 20mm)
then you might need a little more on brake and clutch line length but I got away with standard lengths- but fitted a Brembo RCS MC and a radial clutch MC from an early RCI so check first.
I used Hel.

Pads? I splashed out on some Brembo track/fast road pads, can't recall the code but it was the highest one before they said track-only.
Brilliant initial bite but still with enough feel for slippery conditions.
I chose to go down one on the front, using an omogbene chain, standard size rear sprocket- Supersprox- it's the one with an alu centre and a steel outer. Expensive but they last really well and are lighter than an all steel one.

But then we all ride differently, so whatever suits you is best for you.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

MacV2 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:12 am
TaxiDriver wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:31 am Best advice I can give is get a CNC top yoke and some low Renthals,I've got your complaints and more and this is probably the only reason I am still riding today............. :thumbup:
NOT on a SP 8O

Its either ruin a masterpeice or ruin his a$$.........................
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

TaxiDriver wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:50 pm
MacV2 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:12 am
NOT on a SP 8O

Its either ruin a masterpeice or ruin his a$$.........................
:lol: :clap:

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I'll 2nd Mac's advice on SBS brake pads :thumbup:
The best I've ever used too,

Chris.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

SBS RS pads have been the best I've ever used. I've never liked EBC. I'm on a set of OEM Brembos at the moment as they were a warranty replacement from my dealer and they are just as good except for the last little bit if you use them for coming to a complete stop. They can be a little grabby. So I try and be stylish and use the rear for the last few inches.

Be aware that SBS have discontinued the RS pads and replaced them with RST. I've not used the RST pads but they seem to get negative reviews compared with the RS.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

On the topic of brake pads I have a bit different opinion on what is "best" which is very subjective. I run either Vesrah RJL or SRJL the other option would be Zcoo pads. Either is worth the extra cost involved IMHO. 8)
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

"So I try and be stylish and use the rear for the last few inches".....steady :eek2 :biggrin
tattie

Post by tattie »

Evening All,

Its been a fair old time since I was last online here and have read through some of the suggestions and have to make a list of the things I need to get the bike back on the road.

This year has just romped by and I've spent far to long working and not done many of the things I planned to do.
Anyway I will be 60 next August and the clock is ticking.

I will need to get the finger out as last year I made a provisional booking for the TT24 and I got confirmation for the ferry crossing last week (all be it at a better time of day for going)

I'm heading out on 29th May at 08.30 and coming back on 6th June at 08.45. I know it misses the Big race but I tried so many combinations of dates to finally get the dates I got, so I will just take it as it comes.

I had thought about the Manx later next Year as Alistair had said it is a little bit less frantic and more chilled than the TT, but I've taken the plunge.

Cheers
Allan
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Well done that man. Nothing like a deadline to sharpen the mind .
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
tattie

Post by tattie »

Aye You are right there. :lol: