MCCT Rattle (?)

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
twinlover

MCCT Rattle (?)

Post by twinlover »

I just welcomed a 2002 VTR1000F into my garage that has already had the manual CCT's swapped in. Previous owner also had paperwork from about 1,000 miles ago for valve adjustment. I'm hearing a loud intermittent clacking noise from under the tank towards the front of the bike. It occurs between 1k and 4k rpm, and is more noticeable when the engine is under load. No clacking when idling or revved in neutral. I've seen a few posts about similar noises, but the authors all had ACCT's.
The recent nature of the valve adjustment leads me to believe the valves themselves are not at fault.

The noise is noticeably louder when the bike is moving. I can’t hear it on the kickstand.

Does this seem like the front CCT?

:confused
alanfjones1411

Re: MCCT Rattle (?)

Post by alanfjones1411 »

It's what is known as a carb fart and is normal for a vtr.Although it sounds bad It's just a thing they do.There are things you can do ie.balancing carbs or setting tps to 500 ohms and set idle 1100/1200 rpm.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Might be that the cam chain tensions is set a bit loose when the CCTs were fitted , or after doing any shims when the valve clearances were done.

As long as the locknuts on the MCCT's are tight, there is no short term risk, but it will be something to check in the winter.
AMcQ
twinlover

Post by twinlover »

AMCQ46 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:22 am Might be that the cam chain tensions is set a bit loose when the CCTs were fitted , or after doing any shims when the valve clearances were done.

As long as the locknuts on the MCCT's are tight, there is no short term risk, but it will be something to check in the winter.
Thank you! The locknut is definitely tight, I'll adjust it this evening and report back. Any advice on the best way to reach/adjust the front MCCT?
popkat

Post by popkat »

twinlover wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:24 pm
AMCQ46 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:22 am Might be that the cam chain tensions is set a bit loose when the CCTs were fitted , or after doing any shims when the valve clearances were done.

Thank you! The locknut is definitely tight, I'll adjust it this evening and report back. Any advice on the best way to reach/adjust the front MCCT?

Before adjusting the tensioners set engine idle to 1200rpm and balance the carbs. It sounds more like a backfire on the air box (carb fart) they all do it from time to time but can be worse if idle low and carbs out of sync.
If your cam chain needed adjusting it would give a constant light rattle or tinkling sound, you describe a clack and only under load, I’ll bet it sounds like it comes from under the fuel tank.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
twinlover

Post by twinlover »

popkat wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:11 pm
twinlover wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:24 pm

Before adjusting the tensioners set engine idle to 1200rpm and balance the carbs. It sounds more like a backfire on the air box (carb fart) they all do it from time to time but can be worse if idle low and carbs out of sync.
If your cam chain needed adjusting it would give a constant light rattle or tinkling sound, you describe a clack and only under load, I’ll bet it sounds like it comes from under the fuel tank.

I'll do so tonight. Is carb fart a sharp noise? It definitely sounds metallic. And absolutely sounds like its coming from under the tank. Clicking, clacking, tapping, it sounds like what I imagine a loose chain would sound like slapping around under different loads. But I will check the carbs first and report back.
twinlover

Post by twinlover »

Update, carb synch and idle adjustment did not work. The sound definitely gets louder as the bike warms up.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

If you have mcct's installed you can simply adjust each one by loosening the locknut and tightening the cct by one or two flats while the engine is running.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tony.mon wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:30 pm If you have mcct's installed you can simply adjust each one by loosening the locknut and tightening the cct by one or two flats while the engine is running.
If you try that also keep an eye on the rpm's, if the rpm's start dropping off as you tighten the manual CCT adjuster bolt then the adjustment is tighter than it needs to be,

Chris.
twinlover

Post by twinlover »

sirch345 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:36 pm
tony.mon wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:30 pm If you have mcct's installed you can simply adjust each one by loosening the locknut and tightening the cct by one or two flats while the engine is running.
If you try that also keep an eye on the rpm's, if the rpm's start dropping off as you tighten the manual CCT adjuster bolt then the adjustment is tighter than it needs to be,

Chris.
Thank you!!! I was just about to ask how to know if they're too tight. Someone on reddit suggested that it might be vacuum lock in the tank, I''ll check that out as well.
twinlover

Post by twinlover »

confirmed vacuum lcok was not the issue. Nayone have any tricks for adjusting the front MCCT? Seems a bit hard to reach.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

twinlover wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:48 pm confirmed vacuum lcok was not the issue. Nayone have any tricks for adjusting the front MCCT? Seems a bit hard to reach.
Tank & air box off for a start.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

twinlover wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:48 pm confirmed vacuum lcok was not the issue. Nayone have any tricks for adjusting the front MCCT? Seems a bit hard to reach.
Some aftermarket MCCT's sit higher than others, not a problem on the rear cylinder, but make adjustment more difficult on the front one if yours is a low type as one of the cooling hoses is in the way.

So as Mac said, tank and airbox removal is required,

Chris.