Front wheel bearings

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Major Waste

Front wheel bearings

Post by Major Waste »

Greetings!

Going to attempt changing front wheel bearings once it stops pissing it down. Not done it before but have the service manual as a guide. Any tips? Service manual says to put in new disk bolts in when putting disks back in, is this a "DO IT!" or a "no one actually does that" thing?

Also what grease should I use? Seen Copper and Lithium suggested, but guess Lithium?

Thanks
xeris

Re: Front wheel bearings

Post by xeris »

Thinking that the bearings are sealed. Pretty sure trying to force grease into them will turn out poorly.
I've had my calipers off more than once and I'm still alive. Don't think they are torque to yield. If they are then the reason for new.
I recall there is a thread locking compound on the bolts. I have used blue Loctite when re-installing.
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”
~ Mark Twain
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Agree, you can re-use with loctite.
Or nice new titanium ones?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
rollingthunderx2

Post by rollingthunderx2 »

There is no need to remove the discs when renewing the bearings.
When replacing the bearings put the new bearings in the freezer..in a bag overnight.
warm the hub.
And only drive the bearing in on the outer race.
Coppaslip is not a lubricant it is anti seize, if used in bearings the aggressively shaped copper flakes will ruin the bearing.
rollingthunderx2

Post by rollingthunderx2 »

Coppaslip should not be used as a lubricant.