RamAir Filtres

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Azer

RamAir Filtres

Post by Azer »

Hey up,

Does anybody have any experience of running RamAir filters instead of the stock filter over long periods?

I was intending to just leave everything as it is and keep an eye on the sparking plugs. Then re-jet up or down and adjust the mixture as required.
If there are pit-falls or tips you think I should know about before-hand. I'd be grateful to hear them.

Thanks
8541Hawk

Re: RamAir Filtres

Post by 8541Hawk »

Are you talking about a brand of filter or a ram air set up?
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Azer

Post by Azer »

Hey up,

Brand of filtre mate, they are the British "answere" to K&N.

I'm not doing it for performance reasons, just want to get rid of the stock air filtre and box, to use the space.

Ta.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Both RamAir & K&N do a range of filter option. You can buy their version of the standard flat panel filter which will fit in the air box but claims to have higher flow, and they do a pod filter which you put on the end of the carb and ditch the whole air box.

If i understand that last post, you want to ditch the air box so are talking about the pod filters…….. in which case you are going to have a world of pain getting it to fuel correctly.

The VTR carbs are pretty sensitive to changes in the air flow characteristics, so be ready to take the carbs on and off hundreds of times till you get it right.

I am not saying it can’t be done, but the air box, the conical stacks and even the plastic shield clipped to the frame in front of the airbox inlet are critical to how it will run on the road.
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Unless you own (or have free access to) a Dyno, or are willing to make and fit wideband lambda sensors to your exhaust downpipes and a display, so you have an idea of what the fuelling is doing, I'd avoid pod filters.

But if your going ahead, at least fit a qd fuel line connector so that taking the tank off is quicker.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Azer

Post by Azer »

Hey up,

I've got "pod" air filters on it now, but I have retained the original airbox and fittings. So I do atleast have somit to fall back on.

I've read a little bit about people running K&N filters on here, seems to be that the best way to start is to ride it for a bit to get a referance point.
Then go to "48s" (which I take to mean 4.8mm bore) pilot jets and then think about changing main jets to suite your own style of riding.

I seem to remember moving the front main jet to the rear carb. and going up 1 step on front jet. With a thin washer under the needle flange, to bring it up into the slide body, both front and rear. With my last Honda V twin, this worked a treat.

I'll look at quick release fuel line fittings.
Ta.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

step away from VTR airboxes. you will cause yourself pain. money and skinned knuckles. god i tried so many times.

at best if you do get it right the best you will get is back to square one, eg, where Honda started. and if you get it to improve flow you will get so little for the hassle you wont even be able to feel the difference....

generally on a bike you add more air = requires bigger jets? any vtr iv tried it on the more air i added the smaller i had to go on the jets :eek2 ..

it can be done im sure but massive hassle to end up back at the start line :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
John Orchard

Post by John Orchard »

As everyone says, back away, big headaches will come your way. Fitting pod filters equals no airfilter at all as far as operation goes. If I went down this road (and I guess I have before), leave the pilots alone, get some HRC needles (unobtanium), 165 (aprox) main jets and block the main airbleeds.

If you're anything like me, you'll charge ahead anyway :-)

May the force be with you.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

John Orchard wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:58 am As everyone says, back away, big headaches will come your way. Fitting pod filters equals no airfilter at all as far as operation goes. If I went down this road (and I guess I have before), leave the pilots alone, get some HRC needles (unobtanium), 165 (aprox) main jets and block the main airbleeds.

:lol: I like your style :thumbup:

Chris.
Azer

Post by Azer »

John Orchard wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:58 am As everyone says, back away, big headaches will come your way. Fitting pod filters equals no airfilter at all as far as operation goes. If I went down this road (and I guess I have before), leave the pilots alone, get some HRC needles (unobtanium), 165 (aprox) main jets and block the main airbleeds.

Well,

After a bit of faffing about today, now that I have a good battery (actually 2) and a duff meter.
I fired it up from cold and spent 5 or 10 mins trying to get it to run at idle, before I realised that I hadn't touched the throttle return stop.
About 3/4s of a turn on that and the engine runs well, if a little "lumpy."
Which I am more than happy with.

Took it for a spin and everything seemed fine.
So now I have a good baseline to work from.

Only trouble I would say, is that at idle, after a little blast. The exhausts seem a little smokey.
There is a lot of carbon in the very ends of the cans, so possibly this is normal. But I can't help thinking it is running slightly rich.

I was going to go to Iridium plugs (which I always do with all my petrol engines) and then start doing some experimentation by inspection of the plugs to see if I need to change any of the jets. I get the feeling that I don't.
It could just be the mixture screws.
Even if this is just how these engines are, I'm not that fussed. It is a great ride and I feel pretty comfy on it.
Azer

Post by Azer »

Hey up all,

Bit of a thread resurection, but it'll help me keep track of where I am.

Today, it was raining all day in Pompey, so instead of my usual Sat. afternoon activities, I had a bit of a tinker.

Had the carbs. off the other day and ordered up some main jets.
When I took the bowls off, I found that both the main and idle jets were serriously worn. Somebody has been in here several times before me, rounding out the screw driver slots.
Whoeveritwas had also fitted 190 main jets to both carbs. which is odd as the rear usually has a smaller jet on front/rear mounted V twins.
From what I can gather, these are the biggest jets available for this engine.
No wonder brand new plugs get coked-up in 10 miles. Plus, I don't much care, but it was really loud. I had to wear ear plugs just to stand near the bike, let alone ride it.

Now, from a bit of research the stock jetting is 175 rear and 178 front. With 45 pilots.
I appear to have an original 35 in the front and a 35s (whatever the difference is) in the rear.
All I was able to get hold of from wemoto is/was: 175 , 180 and 185.
So, just to see what happens, I put 175 in the rear and 180 in the front. As close as I could quickly and easily get to stock.

Tank back on, a bit of cranking to get the float bowls full again and it jumped into life.
MUCH quieter!
After a bit of fast idling, it settled down to the nice, ever so slightly lumpy tick-over of a V twin.
I could actually stand in the garage, next to the bike without worrying that my ears would start bleeding.
Gone was the hot steel smell from the exhaust.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Azer, It sounds like you are making good progress, well done :thumbup: :thumbup:

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

you should have the larger of the jets in the rear cylinder not the front as the rear runs a little hotter.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

If you compare the two pilot jets the tiny sideways holes are nearer the tip on one, even though the jet size is the same.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Azer

Post by Azer »

fabiostar wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:31 pm you should have the larger of the jets in the rear cylinder not the front as the rear runs a little hotter.
I think you are wrong as that runs contrary to my experience with other V twins, specifically the NT400 (Bros/Hawk) and what I have read about the stock jets, but I am interested to know your reasons.
tony.mon wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:37 pm If you compare the two pilot jets the tiny sideways holes are nearer the tip on one, even though the jet size is the same.
Thank you, I had no idea and didn't even think to look at that.
sirch345 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:03 pm Azer, It sounds like you are making good progress, well done :thumbup: :thumbup:

Chris.
Ta mate.