Main swing arm pivot bolt help!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Donut 77

Main swing arm pivot bolt help!

Post by Donut 77 »

My aim was to remove the whole rear brake assembly as a unit, with the foot rest, return spring, piston etc. Being a total doofus, I cracked the 27mm nut (turns out to be the bolt head on that side) then realised it was the main very large swing arm bolt through rear of engine.

As there’s nothing attached to the other side, anyone know why Honda didn’t make the nut on the RH side, which would’ve allowed removal of the brake unit very easy.

Can I turn the bolt round, so the 32mm nut is on the RH side?

Is there a way to pull this long bolt out and not have everything collapse on me? Maybe a dowel or tie wrap?

I don’t really want to take the rear wheel assembly off/just the rear brake pedal.

😬😬
Good job I’m not in a rush…
No longer in the B154-M club.
tastethefloor

Re: Main swing arm pivot bolt help!

Post by tastethefloor »

if you pull out the long bolt out, everything collapse as you said. Better to put a wood block under the engine before make a disaster
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Take the rear wheel out to reduce the weight on the swing arm, and use the wheel spindle to push the swing arm bolt out from the gear side, they are the same diameter and it will stop it all falling apart when you take off the brake side foot rest assy.

I wouldn’t recommend doing this with the weight of the bike on a rear paddock stand, so make sure you have the bike supported on blocks under the sump
AMcQ
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

AMCQ46 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:32 am Take the rear wheel out to reduce the weight on the swing arm, and use the wheel spindle to push the swing arm bolt out from the gear side, they are the same diameter and it will stop it all falling apart when you take off the brake side foot rest assy.

I wouldn’t recommend doing this with the weight of the bike on a rear paddock stand, so make sure you have the bike supported on blocks under the sump
Good advise from AMCQ there, you might also want to consider taking the rear shock off, this will take some of the force off the swing arm which in turn will help you to get the bolt out easier.
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Donut 77 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:09 pm
As there’s nothing attached to the other side, anyone know why Honda didn’t make the nut on the RH side, which would’ve allowed removal of the brake unit very easy.

Can I turn the bolt round, so the 32mm nut is on the RH side?
😬😬
The nut is on the LH side so you can remove that foot peg which allows you remove\install the chain without cutting :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Donut 77

Post by Donut 77 »

Great advice everyone, Thank you as always.

👍👍
Donut 77

Post by Donut 77 »

So that all worked swimmingly, many thanks.

However, can't seem to get to the front sprocket without taking the clutch hydraulics apart. Again, am I missing something obvious. Haynes manual doesn't seem to mention draining clutch fluid.

The black cover is behind the clutch hose thing with gaskets etc.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I see you have now removed the front sprocket cover in your other post which I have replied too.

Tip. If you need to remove the shock absorber in the future with the rear sub-frame fitted, it's easier to remove the bracket that is still attached to the frame in your photo with the shock. You do that by undoing the nut on top of the frame box section. Refit the shock the same way with the bracket bolted to the shock before fitting it. It's not totally impossible to get to the horizontal bolt like you have with the rear sub-frame in place, but not as easy as just undoing the top nut,

Chris.
Donut 77

Post by Donut 77 »

Ah yes, that does make sense.

Cheers Chris