Front Sprocket Cover issues/gasket/help!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Donut 77

Front Sprocket Cover issues/gasket/help!

Post by Donut 77 »

Stripping down a bike that was given to me after being sat for several years in the rain - I'm only going as far as I need to to check that everything 'seems' ok.

One concern was that the clutch level was solid, so I decided to investigate (see pics) and the inside of the clutch slave piston was rusted solid, along with the 2" or so of the push rod that is outward of the oil seal. The rest of the 10" or so rod that goes through to the clutch is very clean, so I'm hoping the clutch is ok and I've ordered a replacement slave cylinder and gasket. All ok.

However, if you look at the picture, I think the rain got in around the top of the sprocket guard (that the slave piston assembly is all attached to) where the rust is on that very thin edge that forms around the push rod oil seal.

It doesn't look as though there was a gasket there, but I'm struggling to find one that looks right. There are plenty on eBay for SP1 model (see pic).

Can someone please say if this would be the same? It doesn't look like it would completely seal all round the shape of cover that I have??

If not, where can I get one please.

Thanks for any help.

Good job I’m not in a rush…
No longer in the B154-M club.
Donut 77

Re: Front Sprocket Cover issues/gasket/help!

Post by Donut 77 »

It would seem as though I have a plate and gasket missing, that would’ve stopped the rain getting in to the clutch pushrod?!

So, are there meant to be two of these gaskets (one either side of the plate?)

Very confused 😐
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Only one gasket and one metal plate required, as shown here in link (part numbers also included for David Silvers Honda or Fowlers): https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon ... water-pump

One seller here on Ebay, they don't have very good feed back though: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154123084170 ... R5TT8PzaYQ

Chris.
Donut 77

Post by Donut 77 »

Aha!

I wonder why mine was missing?

Cheers Chris, I will source them.

Out of interest, would you recommend that I remove the clutch case to see if there’s cobwebs in there? Or is it likely to be ok? I have put it in gear, but that probably doesn’t mean much. I doubt I’d find rust, but I’ve heard the clutches can stick shut
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I'd leave the clutch cover in place until you know whether the new slave and pushrod gives you an operating clutch.

By the way, SP 1 and 2 parts won't fit your bike as the clutch cover is different.
Some of the mounting points line up but some don't.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I would go with Tony's advice, leave the clutch cover on for now, like he says you can see how it operates once you sort out the slave cylinder. If that seems to be working properly (once the wheel and swingarm is refitted) sit on the bike, without starting the engine engage 1st gear, then pull the clutch lever in and rock the bike back and forth to free the clutch,

Chris.