What is this switch/sensor please?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Donut 77

What is this switch/sensor please?

Post by Donut 77 »

Afternoon all,

At the front of gearbox housing I tried to pull this rubber booted switch cable thing.

I pulled a bit too hard, thinking that it must have been pushed in there by someone - maybe expecting spade terminal.

Quite cross that the rubber boot broke, revealing two yellow (or one yellow and one yellow/white stripe) cables.

I need to get this out as it is the only thing left holding the loom in the frame (it goes across the bike under the coolant reservoir)

What is it, can I keep pulling and how much more?!

TIA

Good job I’m not in a rush…
No longer in the B154-M club.
AMCQ46

Re: What is this switch/sensor please?

Post by AMCQ46 »

Oops…..that’s the ignition trigger, Don’t keep pulling, the wires will break! It has a connector in the V near the choke knob, so you should disconnect there
AMcQ
Donut 77

Post by Donut 77 »

Okies. Thanks for reply. So, is it a non removable item from the outside then? I was keen to strip the entire electrical system out lock, stock and barrel.

Quite annoyed at myself for pulling harder expecting a spade term to pop off, before I fully researched what it was.

So, its the timing signal trigger?!

I’m happy to repair the boot, but what and how will I know if I have already fu@@&? it?! I’m guessing it won’t start?

Any ideas why it was made without detachable contacts?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You should be able to source a 2nd hand ignition trigger easily enough and for a cheap price, but to fit it you will need to remove the clutch cover, so you'll need a gasket.
If it starts and runs ok when you wiggle it, I suggest you bodge a repair and ignore for now.
As has been said, there's a connector on the lh side.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

If you look in your Haynes Manual under the "Ignition System" chapter on page 5.4, under the title of "Pulse Generator Coil Assembly, you will have a better idea with the photo's. That rubber joint you were trying to pull apart is held in place by the clutch housing cover.

This is what they look like: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314074783789 ... R-ythJ3cYQ

You might be lucky with the wiring on yours fingers crossed,

Chris.
Donut 77

Post by Donut 77 »

Yep, thanks guys. I will have to put it down to experience and hope for the best.

The irony was that I was working through the steps to do the Manual CCT conversion and being clinical and then I just thought "I'll just quickly get this pulled off out the way.."

Oh well. Every day's a school day.

I left it at that point and went out on my speed twin for the afternoon.

:thumbup:
Donut 77

Post by Donut 77 »

sirch345 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:31 pm If you look in your Haynes Manual under the "Ignition System" chapter on page 5.4, under the title of "Pulse Generator Coil Assembly, you will have a better idea with the photo's.....

Chris.
Good shout. Found it thanks Chris. I can at least test the resistance and Voltage now for a better idea.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Donut 77 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:26 pm
sirch345 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:31 pm If you look in your Haynes Manual under the "Ignition System" chapter on page 5.4, under the title of "Pulse Generator Coil Assembly, you will have a better idea with the photo's.....

Chris.
Good shout. Found it thanks Chris. I can at least test the resistance and Voltage now for a better idea.
Great minds think alike by the sounds of it :lol:
I wasn't going to suggest doing a meter reading due to you having quite a few other things going on in your mind right now with this bike :)

Chris.