Well you asked for another Ducati build

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
buzzer

Re: Well you asked for another Ducati build

Post by buzzer »

I have made a few similar Hall Effect ignition pickups in the past and they have worked brilliantly. This is a refinement on those. This time I have used an alloy cam wheel and put the magnets directly into that, rather than use a separate wheel. the magnets are 3mm as opposed to the 4mm ones I have used in the past, lets hope they are OK! I also swapped out the allen bolts for some none magnetic A4 ones just in case it picked those up.

Previously I have had a small discrepancy in the timing cylinder to cylinder, which is OK as I can compensate for that in the Ignitech software... But it irritated me :crazy: :crazy: that I had to do that! I put it down to my rotary table that is not the best and only measures degrees and its difficult to get the holes for the sensors precisely 135 degrees apart. This this time I borrowed a mates table that is very accurate and can measure to minutes. It was a pleasure to use such a wonderful piece of quality kit! Making the pickup plate took some time, probably the most accurate work I have done in a while!

I am not sure i needed the heat sink, but it looked aesthetically pleasing so I used it.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

That looks amazing :clap: :clap:

Thank you for the bigger and lovely sharp photo's :D :D

Fingers crossed all your hard work pays off,

Chris,
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

sirch345 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:50 pm That looks amazing :clap: :clap:

Thank you for the bigger and lovely sharp photo's :D :D

Fingers crossed all your hard work pays off,

Chris,
it didn't pay off... :thumbdown: I will explain later :oops:

I finished the throttle off... I had to make the adjusters as they needed to be a custom size. I also used cycle gear cable as the nice thing about it is the outer wire is longitudinal, which has several advantages, the one being that you can cut it so the inner liner can extend into the adjusters and into the throttle which makes the entire run of the inner cable within the liner. I was very pleased with the light action, and only a 1/4 of a turn closed to open. We all know a fast action throttle adds 20 BHP ;D

I know that I should use suppressed leads, but I prefer to use copper cored ones. they are easy to make up and you can make them to the spot on length. I have had that crimp tool 50 years!

one of the things I wanted to do was get rid of the rubber frame bungs… so I turned up some alloy ones. I needed some alloy bar, so I popped into my local metal recyclers… he had several skips of alloy round bar and machined square and oblong billets, all different sizes… many marked on the end with the material specification! They were just about to be taken away so I had to be quick, I really had to restrain myself though, it was like Christmas had come early!

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Tony, I'm sorry to hear things didn't pay off as you were hoping, hopefully not a complete waste of time.

You've certainly been a busy boy again. Interesting to hear about the outer cycle gear cables with the outer wire being longitudinal, I had no idea, but I can see the advantages now you point them out :thumbup:

At least 20bhp more :lol: :lol:

I do like the rubber bung replacements you've made again for the frame 8) 8)

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

good god :eek2 :eek2 :eek2 .. unreal work :thumbup: :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

no Chris, I had to revert to plan B...

Things don't always go to plan... I tried to starts it... I had a spark, and lots of backfires, but it would not run. I checked a few things and came to the conclusion it was the pickups... I wasn't sure if it was the actual hall sensors, or the magnets and spacing. I decided to try the magnets and spacing first, and it turned out to be that. not sure if it was the strength of the magnets, or the spacing (I suspect it was the spacing) but either way I had to re design the rotor. soon as I did this, it fired up and settled to a nice tickover. I also breathed a sigh of relief as I had put a lot of effort into the exhaust and didn't know what it would sound like! To me it sounded awesome! here is a short video.

Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Sounds lovely, well done :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

It's alive, well done :D :thumbup:
It sounds awesome to me as well :clap: :clap:

The ignition problem, as much I'm sure you could have done without it, it could have been worse :wink:
I'm sure you must be much happier now the bike is running and ticking over nicely 8)

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

the fuel tap proved to be a challenge. It couldn’t go on the tank, but I also didn’t want to on show. In the end I made a small bracket and mounted it out of sight.

I popped into the paint supplier where my mate works… he persuaded me to try some new lacquer which he said the customers were raving about… I reluctantly agreed to try it. Although I had prepped the tank, I thought I would try it on the mudguard first… I am glad I did! It was easy enough to spray, and gave a nice gloss from the gun, BUT it took almost two hours before it was dust free… That may be ok in a heated, dust free paint booth, but in my garage its a distinct disadvantage. So its back to what I know and I went back for some of the formula I always use!

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Looking great Tony :clap: :clap:

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

Here it is, finished... I am pleased with the look, even though it divides opinion!

This will be the last full bike build for a while. This is my 12th bike build, they usually take me all winter to complete, and then I ride them over the summer.

I have no doubt there will be some tinkering, and I will post the results of that, but I wont be doing another full build until September 2024. I will be doing a video on the build soon.

The plan is to spend the summer as we always do, Holidays, days out, and going for rides... Then in the autumn its time to do some work on the house, new kitchen, bathroom, general renovations and decorating. The last house purge was the year I retired... 14 years ago! My wife has been very tolerant over the years :biggrin :biggrin

Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Absolutely stunning bike. Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Looks amazing well done .
Enjoy the summer and keeping the other half happy 👍
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

It's looking awesome Tony 8) 8) You should be very pleased with all your hard work and time that has gone in to this build :clap: :clap:

I'm surprised how quick you have finished this bike. We get to see snapshots and video's of your work etc which is brilliant, but behind the scenes hours and hours of work must go in building these bikes to such a high standard.

I'm amazed to hear you have built 12 bikes in 14 years :Woohoo1: :Woohoo1:

Chris.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Stunning skills Tony and them bikes look really great.Respect.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN