Steering damper

Moderator: VTRDark

masterdave

Steering damper

Post by masterdave »

Anyone got a damper and fitting kit knocking around they don't want? Definitely need one for the storm asap
haynesjones66

Re: Steering damper

Post by haynesjones66 »

mine was very stable and never needed one. check other things first maybe?
masterdave

Post by masterdave »

Its because it's jacked up and I'm riding it at high speeds on bumpy roads, would give me a bit more confidence with a damper on there to stop the bars flapping around when I'm pushing hard!
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Maybe you should "un-jack" it a bit. Once you have gone too far a damper will not fix the issue. This issue is what caused the frame ears to be added by Spondon which didn't work. The only way to get the bike stable again was to lower the rear ride height. The max is 5mm anymore and you are asking for issues.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

What Hawk says. Also don't drop the forks through the yolks more than 8mm.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Dave has a high bar conversion on it as well so that may be causing some of the issues, with the weight off the front.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
haynesjones66

Post by haynesjones66 »

out of interest, is it jacked up at the rear or do you have shorter blade forks?
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

haynesjones66 wrote:out of interest, is it jacked up at the rear or do you have shorter blade forks?
The 'Blade forks, set without any drop-through, give basically the same rake and trail as 5mm drip-through on standard forks. I'm pretty sure I remember that correctly. It was a while ago when I worked it all out though.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

haynesjones66

Post by haynesjones66 »

i have 95 blade forks on mine. havent ridden it in anger yet but pootling round the estate it turned in quicker than my old standard storm