How much backlash?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Donut 77

How much backlash?

Post by Donut 77 »

I have the bike in 6th gear on a paddock stand.

Plugs are out.

First thing is I can only just about push the back wheel round.., then it will suddenly roll a bit as the cam lobes settle on. This is probably all fine, although I was expecting it to be quite a bit easier in 6th with no compression. Also, when I roll the wheel backwards (not sure if this is a good idea) but I can hear the gears slightly more? Why is this?

Second thing; there seems to be about 50mm of tyre rotation between the gear engaging going forward and backward. I think this is called backlash. Is this amount normal? I would expect this to be quite tight, with some allowance for chain slop, but not 2”

If anyone has their bike on a stand, could you perhaps put in top gear and see how much the wheel rotates before it makes positive contact between forward and backwards please?!

Many thanks as always.
Good job I’m not in a rush…
No longer in the B154-M club.
tony.mon

Re: How much backlash?

Post by tony.mon »

It's ok. Check the cush rubbers in the rear wheel hub.
That's cumulative backlash in the rear wheel, chain, transmission and primary drive, also the cam chain slack.
It all adds up.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Donut 77

Re: How much backlash?

Post by Donut 77 »

Hi Tony. Cush rubbers are tight - I put some plastic packers in there. Drive chain is brand new. This is just transmission I think (as in, everything else you mentioned) 😁
Good job I’m not in a rush…
No longer in the B154-M club.