Solid start to my Firestorm journey

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
wspider

Solid start to my Firestorm journey

Post by wspider »

Picked up a 2020 VTR and had a very enjoyable 150mile journey home from Somerset back to London on A303. But started to notice sulphur smell at the lights towards end of journey. Also once stop starting more whilst riding in city - noticed that idle was around 2k…figured time to pull over and consult the forums…

It seems likely the R/R is fried and battery was boiling so will fix / replace that - but any thoughts on the idle?

Previous owner mentioned you have to hold the clutch out if you need it manually so wondering if it could be related?

Also is there such a thing as an upto date link to a current mosfet RR that people recommend in 2023?

Anyway I fell in love with the bike on our first outing so hope to be back here with more positive updates soon…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kev L

Re: Solid start to my Firestorm journey

Post by Kev L »

wspider wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 8:37 pm Picked up a 2020 VTR and had a very enjoyable 150mile journey home from Somerset back to London on A303. But started to notice sulphur smell at the lights towards end of journey. Also once stop starting more whilst riding in city - noticed that idle was around 2k…figured time to pull over and consult the forums…

It seems likely the R/R is fried and battery was boiling so will fix / replace that - but any thoughts on the idle?

Previous owner mentioned you have to hold the clutch out if you need it manually so wondering if it could be related?

Also is there such a thing as an upto date link to a current mosfet RR that people recommend in 2023?

Anyway I fell in love with the bike on our first outing so hope to be back here with more positive updates soon…

Welcome to the club mate. 2020? That’s a late one!! The suggested tick over is around 11 to 1200rpm.
I stuck a BMW mosfet RR on mine, connectors are available on E Bay to match.
Good luck 👍
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
wspider

Post by wspider »

2000!

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard :thumbup:

A shame that happened to you on the ride home from purchasing the bike, at least it hasn't put you off :)

As Kev mentions, picking up a MOSFET rectifier / voltage regulator from another bike (such as BMW, Kawasaki, Triumph or Yamaha) on Ebay may be a better option. You don't want to be wasting your money on a Chinese copy,

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Welcome along sir.. :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

wspider wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 8:37 pm Picked up a 2020 VTR and had a very enjoyable 150mile journey home from Somerset back to London on A303. But started to notice sulphur smell at the lights towards end of journey. Also once stop starting more whilst riding in city - noticed that idle was around 2k…figured time to pull over and consult the forums…

It was a good few years ago now, but I bought mine from this guy (in the link below) who is in the USA. Yes I did get collared for import duty etc in case you were wondering :)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380704480069 ... &recoPos=1

Chris.
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Enjoy your journey
I've had a Yamaha 125 one on mine for about 60k with no problems
wspider

Post by wspider »

got a mosfet unit from a bmw - will swap it out soon looks solid as a rock compared to old unit - im hoping i can do this road side as bike is still parked up where it died? have connectors and crimp toll and some grip ties which i hope will be enough to get me home before fitting properly

also reread my original post and saw the bit about choke was my usual mispelt word salad. what i meant to say was the Choke doesnt stay out on its own - you have to pull it manually or else it gets drawn back in straight away….ill move this over to a different chat group though as figure Im creeping into technical questions that belong elsewhere…

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

wspider wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:16 pm got a mosfet unit from a bmw - will swap it out soon looks solid as a rock compared to old unit - im hoping i can do this road side as bike is still parked up where it died? have connectors and crimp toll and some grip ties which i hope will be enough to get me home before fitting properly

also reread my original post and saw the bit about choke was my usual mispelt word salad. what i meant to say was the Choke doesnt stay out on its own - you have to pull it manually or else it gets drawn back in straight away….ill move this over to a different chat group though as figure Im creeping into technical questions that belong elsewhere…

Glad you have found yourself a MOSFET rectifier, yes they are rather larger than the original :lol:
The main thing though is how they work compared to the non MOSFET that was fitted, the MOSFET run a lot cooler causing it less stress.

Ah the choke, I wondered what you meant. Under the rubber boot behind the choke pull is a knurled nut which should only need tightening up a tad, then your choke pull will stay out,

Chris.